What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

rabble wrote:So keep piling it on till some of them get tired of being stooges. Being wrong EVERY damn time has got to be a bit of a strain on the ones with three brain cells left.

I guess it's all in how you want to spend your time, I think convincing moderates and independent is a better choice. But my main point really is, why bother doing extra shit to make the GOP look stupid, they have that covered just fine.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm

This song title is about you and your moderates.

I've got more.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This song title is about you and your moderates.

I've got more.

Was this how you educated the former youth of America on political discourse Henry?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:So keep piling it on till some of them get tired of being stooges. Being wrong EVERY damn time has got to be a bit of a strain on the ones with three brain cells left.

I guess it's all in how you want to spend your time, I think convincing moderates and independent is a better choice. But my main point really is, why bother doing extra shit to make the GOP look stupid, they have that covered just fine.

Why avoid it? I mean, it's just one question with an easy answer. I don't mind helping them prove how stupid they are once in a while.

According Public Policy Polling's Wiki page:
The company is known for asking unexpected and unusual questions, including those without bearing on politics, such as the approval rating of God,[6] whether voters believe President Obama would be eligible to enter heaven in the event of the Rapture and whether hipsters should be subjected to a special tax for being annoying. Many of these questions come from suggestions by PPP readers on the company's blog.

They just threw in one more "unexpected question" and it paid off. You say it unnecessarily hurt some stupid people's feelings, and I say hit 'em again harder.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:49 pm

rabble wrote:Why avoid it? I mean, it's just one question with an easy answer. I don't mind helping them prove how stupid they are once in a while.

You say it unnecessarily hurt some stupid people's feelings, and I say hit 'em again harder.

It's really not about their feeling, it's about making sure you don't look like a dick to people who might be on the fence. (yes Henry, I know you you have songs for that, why don't you go listen to them).

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Francis, you might actually have a point if the only two choices presented were Bush or Obama, but the idiots could have chosen what was behind Door #3.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This song title is about you and your moderates.

I've got more.

Was this how you educated the former youth of America on political discourse Henry?

No. This isn't high school civics/democracy education. I can differentiate. Can you?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:03 pm

O.J. wrote:Francis, you might actually have a point if the only two choices presented were Bush or Obama, but the idiots could have chosen what was behind Door #3.

rabble covered that pretty well.
rabble wrote:Oh, and I'd put it at 29 + 44 = 73% nitwits since the only choices were Bush, Obama, and "not sure." If you chose "not sure" for that one you're not even a little less of a nitwit.

Henry Vilas wrote:No. This isn't high school civics/democracy education. I can differentiate. Can you?

Sure can, was just wondering about what teaching style you had.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 pm

My teaching style was totally different. I presented both sides and I asked questions. For example, when discussing capital punishment students asked me about my opinion. I told them their opinions matter more, but they could ask me later after we covered that topic. At the end, I asked them where they thought I stood. Most thought I was pro death penalty. They were mistaken.

In this forum, I don't play the middle. Instead I express my our views.

But back to your wishy-washy approach. Reminds me of a Bible quote about being neither being hot nor cold, instead spitting out the lukewarm.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:20 pm

rabble wrote:Why avoid it? I mean, it's just one question with an easy answer. I don't mind helping them prove how stupid they are once in a while.

It may not just be a symptom of stupidity. The GOP has a pretty good habit of stretching the truth when it comes to Obama's agenda. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if some in congress have been planting ideas in the heads of their constituents that Obama is to blame for many things that he wasn't around for or had nothing to do with, ie birther movement, Muslim, 9/11...

I think it's more a matter not of exposing stupidity, but of exposing lies.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:But back to your wishy-washy approach. Reminds me of a Bible quote about being neither being hot nor cold, instead spitting out the lukewarm.

What exactly about my approach would you call wishy washy? I think targeting the middle is a better approach for Democrats then ignoring it and hoping you get more of your base fired up then the other guy. Playing gotcha politics is great for getting the base fired up, but Democrats are not nearly as good at it as Republicans and Republicans are much better at falling in line then Democrats.

On the other hand I think Democrats have a much better chance of convincing moderate independents to side with them (especially given the GOP's current level of extremism), but you do that by puting fourth valid reasons why your solutions are better for the whole country, not by making fun of the GOP.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:But back to your wishy-washy approach. Reminds me of a Bible quote about being neither being hot nor cold, instead spitting out the lukewarm.

What exactly about my approach would you call wishy washy?

Just my opinion. Based on the totality of your posts.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

What exactly about my approach would you call wishy washy?

Just my opinion. Based on the totality of your posts.

Well no shit, it's your opinion. I'm curious as to what in my totality of posts makes you think that.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm

I don't think I am the only one who noticed. But I could be wrong.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I don't think I am the only one who noticed. But I could be wrong.

Really, do I have to come after class to get you to answer a question?

I didn't ask what the general consensus was, I ask why you held an opinion.

Return to “National Politics & Government”