What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Republican Governor Paul LePage of Maine said President Obama "hates white people." He said that at a GOP fundraiser. Maybe he thought his comment wouldn't get out, but it did.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:42 pm

The latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling, provided exclusively to TPM, showed an eye-popping divide among Republicans in the Bayou State when it comes to accountability for the government's post-Katrina blunders.

Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren't sure who to blame.


http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... sponse-was

Words fail me on this one. Any conservatives here want to come out and say how embarrassed they are?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3460
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
The latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling, provided exclusively to TPM, showed an eye-popping divide among Republicans in the Bayou State when it comes to accountability for the government's post-Katrina blunders.

Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren't sure who to blame.


http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... sponse-was

Words fail me on this one. Any conservatives here want to come out and say how embarrassed they are?


Why was Obama offered as a choice on that poll in the first place? 29% of the respondents are clearly nit wits but that question was pure partisan baiting, and makes the pollsters look just as shitty.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Why was Obama offered as a choice on that poll in the first place? 29% of the respondents are clearly nit wits but that question was pure partisan baiting, and makes the pollsters look just as shitty.


I don't know if it makes them look just as shitty. They didn't make these people ignorant. They are just pointing it out.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why was Obama offered as a choice on that poll in the first place? 29% of the respondents are clearly nit wits but that question was pure partisan baiting, and makes the pollsters look just as shitty.

They refer to the pollsters as "Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling" which leads me to believe they threw it in there just to see how many idiots there were in the Republican base.

For which they were probably rewarded far beyond their wildest dreams.

Why NOT conduct a poll that demonstrates how much contact a certain demographic has with reality? Or book-learnin'?

Oh, and I'd put it at 29 + 44 = 73% nitwits since the only choices were Bush, Obama, and "not sure." If you chose "not sure" for that one you're not even a little less of a nitwit.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3460
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:18 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why was Obama offered as a choice on that poll in the first place? 29% of the respondents are clearly nit wits but that question was pure partisan baiting, and makes the pollsters look just as shitty.

They refer to the pollsters as "Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling" which leads me to believe they threw it in there just to see how many idiots there were in the Republican base.

For which they were probably rewarded far beyond their wildest dreams.

Why NOT conduct a poll that demonstrates how much contact a certain demographic has with reality? Or book-learnin'?

Oh, and I'd put it at 29 + 44 = 73% nitwits since the only choices were Bush, Obama, and "not sure." If you chose "not sure" for that one you're not even a little less of a nitwit.


I guess I assume that the purpose of polling is to gather useful information, not embarass a segment of the respondents with a trick question. Is anyone better for having the knowledge that 73% of cajuns would rather blame Obama for anything rather then Bush? Rather then ask a real question about who people blame the most (and any honest question on that subject would have several names on it) they went for a cheap stupid joke. I suppose we can all feel superior to some dumb shmucks in LA, but is that really a good use of polling?

fisticuffs wrote:I don't know if it makes them look just as shitty.

In retrospect I agree. All things considered a honest idiot is less of a asshole then an dishonest scholar.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

You're quite the apologist for the GOPer sheep.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3460
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You're quite the apologist for the GOPer sheep.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that you completely missed my point.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I guess I assume that the purpose of polling is to gather useful information, not embarass a segment of the respondents with a trick question.

Trick question?

Do you consider "is the sky blue or green?" to be a trick question?

Is it possible that the segment in question had already been tricked into thinking the Katrina response might have been Obama's fault, and this survey demonstrates it?

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Is anyone better for having the knowledge that 73% of cajuns would rather blame Obama for anything rather then Bush?


We are all better off when we demonstrate that certain political views are due more to fiction than fact. We MUST expose this kind of thing.

It has to see the light or it just goes on and on. You'd prefer that voters have some inkling of what's really going on, would you not?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why was Obama offered as a choice on that poll in the first place? 29% of the respondents are clearly nit wits but that question was pure partisan baiting, and makes the pollsters look just as shitty.

They refer to the pollsters as "Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling" which leads me to believe they threw it in there just to see how many idiots there were in the Republican base.

For which they were probably rewarded far beyond their wildest dreams.

Why NOT conduct a poll that demonstrates how much contact a certain demographic has with reality? Or book-learnin'?

Oh, and I'd put it at 29 + 44 = 73% nitwits since the only choices were Bush, Obama, and "not sure." If you chose "not sure" for that one you're not even a little less of a nitwit.


I guess I assume that the purpose of polling is to gather useful information, not embarass a segment of the respondents with a trick question. Is anyone better for having the knowledge that 73% of cajuns would rather blame Obama for anything rather then Bush? Rather then ask a real question about who people blame the most (and any honest question on that subject would have several names on it) they went for a cheap stupid joke. I suppose we can all feel superior to some dumb shmucks in LA, but is that really a good use of polling?

fisticuffs wrote:I don't know if it makes them look just as shitty.

In retrospect I agree. All things considered a honest idiot is less of a asshole then an dishonest scholar.


You're right. An open ended question without multiple choice would have yielded different results. there probably would have been 20% for "Obummer", 4% for "Chairman Maobama" 3% for "The Muslim in the White House" and 2% for "that evil racist America-hating communist in the "white" house (yea right) that personally blew off my roof".

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3460
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:52 pm

rabble wrote:Do you consider "is the sky blue or green?" to be a trick question?

I don't see them as comparable questions to be quite honest. Your question requires purely an objective observation. On the other hand the poll question (which I agree does have a purely objective answer), is going to be a loaded question based on the respondents politics and strenghth of their political beliefs. It shouldn't be, but it is and unless the person writing the question is just as stupid, they had to know it.

rabble wrote:Is it possible that the segment in question had already been tricked into thinking the Katrina response might have been Obama's fault, and this survey demonstrates it?

It is possible (and likely), but all this demonstrats conclusively is that a certain segement of the population doesn't really like Obama all that much. Do we need a poll to prove that?

rabble wrote:We are all better off when we demonstrate that certain political views are due more to fiction than fact. We MUST expose this kind of thing.

But as I stated above, this didn't expose anything other then a bias against Obama (and that there are some shit stupid republicans answer their phones over dinner in LA). Something I would think we could all agree we don't need a poll to establish.

rabble wrote:It has to see the light or it just goes on and on. You'd prefer that voters have some inkling of what's really going on, would you not?

Voters absolutely need to be informed, the 73% of the GOP in LA most of all aparently, but looking at the article, I don't see any informing going on. I see a bunch of respondents being made fun of for thier ignorance.

rabble wrote:You're right. An open ended question without multiple choice would have yielded different results.


Which is why I said more names on the list, not open ended.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:We are all better off when we demonstrate that certain political views are due more to fiction than fact. We MUST expose this kind of thing.

But as I stated above, this didn't expose anything other then a bias against Obama (and that there are some shit stupid republicans answer their phones over dinner in LA). Something I would think we could all agree we don't need a poll to establish.

You and me, yeah. Something tells me it's not really "all" of us, though. Those are the ones who have to be hit over the fucking head with it before it sinks in.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:It has to see the light or it just goes on and on. You'd prefer that voters have some inkling of what's really going on, would you not?

Voters absolutely need to be informed, the 73% of the GOP in LA most of all aparently, but looking at the article, I don't see any informing going on. I see a bunch of respondents being made fun of for thier ignorance.

So what? You don't think mockery is a teaching tool? The right just loves it when it's not aimed at them.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3460
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm

rabble wrote:So what? You don't think mockery is a teaching tool? The right just loves it when it's not aimed at them.

And right wing mockery has changed your mind in what way?

rabble wrote:You and me, yeah. Something tells me it's not really "all" of us, though. Those are the ones who have to be hit over the fucking head with it before it sinks in.

Some people are never going to change their minds. Going ape shit trying is just a waste of time. On the other hand I don't think pointing and laughing at them is going to win allies either.

Which I guess is my point about this question and the reporting of it's answer. Making fun of someone stupid can be fun, but tripping the same person to make them look stupid just makes you an asshole. For fucks sake, it's the GOP, they do or say enough stupid shit all on their own without putting in any extra effort.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:So what? You don't think mockery is a teaching tool? The right just loves it when it's not aimed at them.

And right wing mockery has changed your mind in what way?

I always check it out, and it's always based on false data. Let 'em prove THAT one's based on a lie.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:You and me, yeah. Something tells me it's not really "all" of us, though. Those are the ones who have to be hit over the fucking head with it before it sinks in.

Some people are never going to change their minds. Going ape shit trying is just a waste of time. On the other hand I don't think pointing and laughing at them is going to win allies either.

Which I guess is my point about this question and the reporting of it's answer. Making fun of someone stupid can be fun, but tripping the same person to make them look stupid just makes you an asshole. For fucks sake, it's the GOP, they do or say enough stupid shit all on their own without putting in any extra effort.

So keep piling it on till some of them get tired of being stooges. Being wrong EVERY damn time has got to be a bit of a strain on the ones with three brain cells left.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Which I guess is my point about this question and the reporting of it's answer. Making fun of someone stupid can be fun, but tripping the same person to make them look stupid just makes you an asshole. For fucks sake, it's the GOP, they do or say enough stupid shit all on their own without putting in any extra effort.

Reminds me of a song.


Return to “National Politics & Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests