What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby FJD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sen. Rand Paul's criticism of Wednesday's same-sex marriage ruling, which included a rhetorical question about bestiality eventually being made legal, was sarcasm, the Kentucky Republican's office says.

I thought Rand Paul was a libertarian who believes in small government. Why would a libertarian want the government to outlaw gay marriage?

"Sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate adequately from radio conversation," his communications director Moira Bagley said

Say what?

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Sen. Rand Paul's criticism of Wednesday's same-sex marriage ruling, which included a rhetorical question about bestiality eventually being made legal, was sarcasm, the Kentucky Republican's office says.

I thought Rand Paul

Actually, if you read the interview what he said was:

Speaking to conservative radio host Glenn Beck, Paul delved into the question of whether or not lawmakers should imbue legislation with their own morals. Beck set up the statement by wondering whether the court's ruling -- which found a key provision of the federal Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional -- could logically lead to polygamy becoming legal.

"If you change one variable -- man and a woman -- to a man and a man and a woman and a woman, you cannot tell me then that you can't logically change the other variable," Beck said. "One man, three women. One woman, four men. Who are you to say that if I am a devout Muslim and I come over here and I have three wives, who are you to say if I am an American citizen that I can't have multiple marriages?"

He makes an excellent point. Just why is polygamy illegal? What will be the legal basis for it now? Polygamy has a much broader, deeper and longer historical and cultural precedent than the idea that a marriage must consist of only 2 people.

As I understand Paul's position, from other statements elsewhere, he is against the idea of government marriage. Govt should provide civil union contracts and leave marriage to churches and other spiritual organizations.

I will be interested to hear what he has to say about the death of democracy in California. I think that regardless of how one feels about same sex marriage, the killing of the democratic referendum process is far more serious.

I have some issues with direct democracy (A/K/A "mob rule") like California has with referendums. I have an even bigger issue with the federal govt telling a state that they do not have to abide by their own constitution. If there is going to be democracy, it has to mean something.

John Henry

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:13 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I have some issues with direct democracy (A/K/A "mob rule") like California has with referendums. I have an even bigger issue with the federal govt telling a state that they do not have to abide by their own constitution. If there is going to be democracy, it has to mean something.

You may have forgoten this, but federal constitution trumps state constitutions. Why the hell is that so hard to remember until the conversation involves the 2nd amendment?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
You may have forgoten this, but federal constitution trumps state constitutions.

What if the feds refuse to defend against the sharia law which is obviously encroaching on our freedomz ?

North Carolina shows us how its done:
Charles Pierce wrote:First, the legislature wastes everybody's time on a fanciful anti-sharia-law piece of Mooooslim boogedy-boogedy because, as we know, sharia law oppresses women, then it uses that bill to camouflage passage of a package of anti-choice legislation that deprives women of their constitutional rights under American law.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:17 pm

More awesomeness from North Carolina:

#MotorcyleVagina.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

DCB wrote:More awesomeness from North Carolina:

#MotorcyleVagina.

This is just too dirty (and not in a sexual way) not to quote and delve into.

Early this morning, the North Carolina GOP (the House Judiciary Committee, to be precise) added sweeping abortion restrictions to a bill — SB353 — that was approved by the Senate in April and which was supposed to increase fines and penalties for drivers who endanger motorcyclists on the road. So sneaky were the Republicans in this maneuver that some Democrats in the House didn’t know what the hell was happening until a few minutes before the committee meeting began.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:26 pm

NC and Wisconsin are on the same path right now and it will not end well in either state. You cannot convince me the people in either place want to be mini-Texas, with limited access to healthcare, limited reproductive rights, wild gerrymandering resulting in a state government that's a caricature of democracy, deregulation, messed-up public education, economic slowdown, and a lot of other degradations to the quality of life.

If these had been Texas- or Mississippi-style states from the beginning, that would be different. But both WI and NC have had (relatively) high living standards and good government. To purposely take that apart and take it away will not sit well with state residents in the long run.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Yay Texas:

Word on Twitter, confirmed by Texas Tribune reporters, is that guards are confiscating all feminine products from entering visitors, apparently to stop pro-choice activists from throwing tampons and pads at the legislators

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... rtion.html

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Yay Texas:

Word on Twitter, confirmed by Texas Tribune reporters, is that guards are confiscating all feminine products from entering visitors, apparently to stop pro-choice activists from throwing tampons and pads at the legislators

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... rtion.html

They can still chant, "Hail Satan" though, right?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:They can still chant, "Hail Satan" though, right?

I assume that means you really believe in the existence of devils. How cute.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm

So I'm just curios. What kind of idiot believes this shit?
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... -vote-2014
I mean it's easily verifiable as complete and utter nonsense, like most tea Party "facts". Is it willful ignorance or is Bachman's intended audience really this stupid?

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:So I'm just curios. What kind of idiot believes this shit?
I mean it's easily verifiable as complete and utter nonsense, like most tea Party "facts". Is it willful ignorance or is Bachman's intended audience really this stupid?

Bachman might actually be this stupid

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Steve Benen wrote:.. House Republican leaders also gave her a seat on the House Intelligence Committee, where she has access to some of the nation's most sensitive national security information.

Really, why should we worry about Snowden?

Also: "spank" the President? I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot magic wand.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:42 pm

On a serious note:
Paul Krugman wrote:Something terrible has happened to the soul of the Republican Party. We’ve gone beyond bad economic doctrine. We’ve even gone beyond selfishness and special interests. At this point we’re talking about a state of mind that takes positive glee in inflicting further suffering on the already miserable.

I guess he got tired of pointing out how wrong they are on economic issues, and started thinking, "What is wrong with these people?".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:So I'm just curios. What kind of idiot believes this shit?

Bachman might actually be this stupid

More stupid:
Bachmann aide arrested, charged with theft

Return to “National Politics & Government”