What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:06 am

Sen. Richard Burr privately mused over the weekend that gun owners may want to put a "bullseye" on Hillary Clinton, according to audio obtained by CNN.

The North Carolina Republican, locked in a tight race for reelection, quipped that as he walked into a gun shop "nothing made me feel better" than seeing a magazine about rifles "with a picture of Hillary Clinton on the front of it."

"I was a little bit shocked at that -- it didn't have a bullseye on it," he said Saturday to GOP volunteers, prompting laughter from the crowd in Mooresville, North Carolina.

More of the same.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Too bad being an asshole is legal sometimes.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 am

From CNN - Black Church Set on Fire, Vote Trump painted on side.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/02/us/missis ... index.html

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:59 am

Jennifer Rubin over at the Washington Post agrees with me. Ron Johnson already talking about impeachment, Jason Chaffetz gloating about the "years of investigative material" he's got, Senators and candidates already promising to torpedo her nominees.
What is the Democrats’ favorite complaint? Republicans are obstructionists, bent on witch hunts instead of doing the people’s business. Chaffetz’s and Johnson’s promises to hound Clinton may be music to the ears of the GOP base, but independents and Democrats are in the midst of deciding whether they want a check on Hillary Clinton or a legislative partner. It’s one thing to say, “We’ll make sure she doesn’t raise taxes or spend too much.” It’s quite another to say, “We’re going to throw dust in the air for her entire term and bring business to a halt.”

I'm guessing not every businessperson out there wants another four years of nothing getting done.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:05 pm

The Republican party seems to be divided on the issue soon-to-be-elected President Clinton - should she be impeached, or executed?

Bennett wrote, “2 words … firing squad,”

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Melania Trump says she'd work to improve a social media culture that has gotten "too mean and too tough" -- riddled with insults based on "looks and intelligence" -- if she becomes first lady.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/politics/ ... index.html

no words...

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

DCB wrote:The Republican party seems to be divided on the issue soon-to-be-elected President Clinton - should she be impeached, or executed?

Bennett wrote, “2 words … firing squad,”

Sure doesn't sound like abiding by the election results, does it?

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:59 pm

gargantua wrote:Sure doesn't sound like abiding by the election results, does it?

There's only two ways this goes at this point: 1) Trump wins and the results are accurate, clean, legitimate and a clear mandate from the American people, or 2) It was rigged, she can't be allowed to take office, election must be voided and re-held, armed revolution!

Also worth noting that the greatest voter fraud of all time could be perpetrated by Trump and even if caught redhanded there wouldn't be a damn thing anyone could do about it. "I thought y'all said election fraud wasn't real? We totally agree now. Goodbye!"

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 am

jman111 wrote:
Melania Trump says she'd work to improve a social media culture that has gotten "too mean and too tough" -- riddled with insults based on "looks and intelligence" -- if she becomes first lady.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/politics/ ... index.html

no words...

Really? no words? I can think of lots of words.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:12 am

I thought about posting this article, ( I saw a version of it in today's WiSJ( in the "Headlines that need some help" thread. But my criticism is purely political, not grammatical.
Facts take a beating across US
The article is about the acceptance of all the lies in "this election". There are some deep thoughts about a "post-fact world", and a detour into post-modernism. But see if you notice anything about the specific examples:
Donald Trump has climbed new fact-bending heights

vehement insistence that climate change is not real (it is, according to scientific consensus)

or that election fraud is rampant (it isn't, repeated studies have found).

His opponent, he said, convinced voters [Obama's] stimulus was a failure even as most economists agree it helped reduce unemployment.

Trump has made more false statements, by far.

"Donald Trump has a problem with accuracy,"

There is even an appeal "to both sides". Even thought its quite clear that its not a problem with "both sides". There is only one side that is brazenly and openly embracing a post-fact world.

Orbiting Narwhal
Forum Addict

Postby Orbiting Narwhal » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 am

DCB is right. While this election has been noteworthy for its flood of lies, that flood has been coming almost entirely from Republicans, and most particularly from Donald Trump:

Orbiting Narwhal wrote:While it is probably true that all politicians from prehistory to the present sometimes play fast and loose with the facts, there are big differences among them.

Politifact graded over 1000 statements by 20 major political figures from 2007-present.

Donald Trump had the highest rate of falsehoods. Hillary Clinton had the second-lowest rate.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:22 am

DCB wrote:There is even an appeal "to both sides". Even thought its quite clear that its not a problem with "both sides". There is only one side that is brazenly and openly embracing a post-fact world.

Could not agree more.
All politicians spin and exaggerate, of course, but only one side of this country's political divide seems intent on making the truth completely irrelevant to their worldview. Example: if you tell a lefty who didn't already know that Obama has deported more illegal immigrants than any other President, they might initially doubt you, but if you show them the actual proof, even if they come up with some kind of "yeah, but . . ." they're unlikely to continue denying it. Those on the right, on the hand, who should cheer such a move if they weren't hypocrites absolutely determined to paint Obama as the second-worst person in the history of the world (behind only Hillary, natch), will not only deny it's true but actually double-down on the lie that it isn't. I'm not digging it up but there's a "great" soundbite out there of Rush Limbaugh explaining that "fact checking" is just a ploy by the lamestream liberal media to promote their agenda. It's depressing how many people believe that. I expect we'll hear from at least one of them soon.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:26 am

Other examples from just this weekend:
How many Trump supporters will simply take Trump at his word and continue repeating the obvious lie that Obama "screamed" at a protestor and that it was "a disgrace" even when shown the video of Obama doing exactly the opposite?
How many Trump supporters will continue talking about the "assassination attempt" at Trump's rally yesterday despite the fact that the man who was violently attacked merely for carrying a sign was immediately released by authorities for the obvious reason that he had no such intention?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:32 am

My facebook feed has a post from someone who said "that rape suit against Trump was DROPPED! You stupid sheeple, it was a scam!" Then someone said "It was because of death threats."

His response was "If there were death threats, then who made them?"

This is sad indeed.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:43 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Other examples from just this weekend:
How many Trump supporters will simply take Trump at his word and continue repeating the obvious lie that Obama "screamed" at a protestor and that it was "a disgrace" even when shown the video of Obama doing exactly the opposite?

I quote this guy all the time, because I like his writing:
Charles Pierce wrote:I have a respectably high tolerance for this stuff, and I can't tell you why this particular incident shoved me over the International Crapola Line for good. Maybe it was because it was so ludicrously provable a lie. Maybe it was the smug confidence he has in his own mind that that he is talking to a country full of thoroughgoing morons. Maybe it was how little he cared that people could go on their fcking telephones and find out how dreadfully obvious his lie was. They could do it right at that moment, while he was telling the lie.

He's fucking lying all the time. That's the story. He doesn't give a shit. And neither does the rest of (what's left of) his Party. That's what they should be reporting. Not esoteric claptrap about Derrida.

Return to “National Politics & Government”