South Carolina GOP: whites only

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

South Carolina GOP: whites only

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:16 pm

South Carolina's population is nearly 30% black. Yet in yesterday's voting, blacks made up approximately 1% of the electorate.

It's remarkable how little discussion there is about this. The future of America is a multiracial, multiethnic society. Yet one of the two parties has absolutely nothing -- nothing -- to say to non-white voters.

This is why a candidate like Newt can use racially coded language in attacking the president and pay no penalty. In essence, the Republican Party base sees America as heading for a race war, in which whites will have to coalesce around the GOP to defend the conservative cultural and political values that existed under the pre-1960s, white-supremacist polity.

It's a pretty dismal vision for America. Rather than reaching out to black and Latino voters, the GOP is following a strategy that's totally dependent on polarizing the country into two parties, a conservative, backwards looking party for whites only, and a liberal, Democratic party for "everyone else".

That strategy might work for a while. But as the older, white, conservative population declines, it can only cling to power by using more and more blatant tricks to keep its opponents from voting. Ultimately, the path the Republican Party is following will lead to the apartheidization of America.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: South Carolina GOP: whites only

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Because we all know there are no black or latino conservatives.

Racist much Kurt?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:03 pm

bdog wrote:Because we all know there are no black or latino conservatives.

Racist much Kurt?

Yes there are some minority conservatives. About 1% of the South Carolina electorate (at least among black voters). Nationwise, probably close to that. Latinos weren't even mentioned by Kurt.

Are facts racist?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Facts are not racist; facts are facts, especially relatively straightforward ones like Kurt cited. The vast majority of citizens who just nominated Gingrich were white, and 1% were black. I'd like to see a breakdown that included Latino voters, since the southeast states are home to lots of Latinos.

bdog is just using the well-rehearsed right-wing tactic of taking the strongest argument that can be used against you and throwing it at your opposition. It doesn't have to make sense, as plenty of the troll-postings on this forum illustrate. You just try to confuse the reader ("what the hell is he trying to say?") and use a lot of repetition. bdog is sometimes a bit smarter and the fact he's sunk to this type of argument shows what poor pickings he's got to work with. I would be interested in a statement of his purposes, if he wanted to post one. For starters it might be "furtherance of an intelligible political standpoint" but it looks more like "getting attention by annoying people you disagree with" or even "distracting discussions so people learn less about inconvenient facts."

I know I've been pissy about trolls on the forum lately, but it's just a sort of last-ditch effort before I move the forum from "visit daily" to "visit weekly." Which of course means the terrorists have won, but what can I say?
Last edited by snoqueen on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes there are some minority conservatives. About 1% of the South Carolina electorate (at least among black voters). Nationwise, probably close to that. Latinos weren't even mentioned by Kurt.

Are facts racist?

Latino's not mentioned?

Rather than reaching out to black and Latino voters, the GOP is following a strategy that's totally dependent on polarizing the country into two parties, a conservative, backwards looking party for whites only, and a liberal, Democratic party for "everyone else".

I agree Henry, facts are not racist. So let's keep those facts as the basis for discussion. When you put "whites only" in the topic title, I'm going to call you on that.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:43 pm

snoqueen wrote:I know I've been pissy about trolls on the forum lately, but it's just a sort of last-ditch effort before I move the forum from "visit daily" to "visit weekly." Which of course means the terrorists have won, but what can I say?

My thoughts exactly Sno. You lost it when Walker got elected and now Kurt has as well. I finally realized he had gone over the edge when he compared Fox News to TASS with a straight face.

We get it - you hate all Republicans. Why don't you just start an all purpose "Republicans are bad" topic?

Kurt is not posting these topics because he wants any kind of thoughtful discussion - it's pure trolling.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:45 pm

btw, "visit weekly" is great advice. These arguments that will obviously go nowhere is not good for anyone's blood pressure.

See ya'll in a week.

- your friend, bdog

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 pm

bdog wrote:Latino's not mentioned?

Sorry, I should have said "Latino's not mentioned statistically." Just as sno said.

Even hear of Nixon's and Reagan's "Southern Strategy" where the GOP corralled the Dixiecrat vote to get them elected? While not always successful, that strategy still exists.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 pm

...facts are not racist. So let's keep those facts as the basis for discussion. When you put "whites only" in the topic title, I'm going to call you on that.

That little 1% keeps it from being whites only, ya know?

See "straws, clutching at."

I'm sorry you find the company here so unworthy. One wonders why you bother.

I have repeatedly said somewhere there exist sensible, balanced, and socially-responsible conservatives. Today's Republican party has lost that faction, and I'm not the only one wondering where they went. Almost every day I see another op-ed column or blog posting asking why the GOP's slate of candidates is so, frankly, pathetic. Theories range from "doesn't want the scrutiny" to "too pragmatic" to "Citizens United." I don't hate the Republicans, but I sure think the present crop -- local to national -- are pretty bad excuses for public service. Your bringing up the "southern strategy" and suggesting it is a viable and honorable one is a fine example.

I think we have good moderate-to-liberal voices on this board and your claim people have "lost it" is another example of taking a strong argument against you and turning it backward. If you think Ned, Earthling, or the jasons have brought anything substantial to the table it's on you to show the evidence.

They (and you) succeed in distracting worthwhile discussions, so if that's the purpose I freely award a handful of points in your direction. But you're doing the same thing the GOP is doing at a national level: painting yourself into a corner by becoming unpalatable to all but a diminishing demographic, so that in the end if you expect to "win" you'll need to do it by breaking the game.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 pm

The fact is, using facts (no matter how accurate or inaccurate the "facts" are) to racialize a conversation, debate, or discussion is racist. You might not like that fact because you are not, yourself, a racist. But it's a simple fact. Racializing, by definition, is racist.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Good God, Meade. If I were one of your high school teachers, I would be deeply ashamed.

That word salad was one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on TDPF.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:23 pm

kurt_w wrote:But as the older, white, conservative population declines, it can only cling to power by using more and more blatant tricks to keep its opponents from voting. Ultimately, the path the Republican Party is following will lead to the apartheidization of America.

The entire nature of the two-party system ensures that both parties will be supplied with around half of the voters. If the most conservative 20% of the Republican party were not around, it's not as if the Democratic party would stay in the same place. They would gain power, and enact more and more liberal policies until enough people peel off the center of the party and balance things out again. For better or worse, that is how our one-dimensional political system works.

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:25 pm

As a member of the SWPL clan, its funny Kurt would bring this up. Racial disparities are an issue in academia. Yet, academics do nothing more than cooking up symbolic diversity laws, then covertly avoiding them. That's a nice way to appear like you care without actually having to do anything. Kurt, do you ever go to drum circles to ease your mind?

Where is the user fennel? I'd like her to tackle the COOPs racial minority shopper disparity. It's horrid if held up to Kurt's standards. It's about 97% white. The white COOP board should make a rule that members should look down on this. That way they can appear like they care.

Hey jjoyce/snoqueen, when were you planning on boycotting the COOP? It's clearly not diverse enough according to your written standards here. But, you knew that. Buy local!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:44 pm

The fact is, using facts (no matter how accurate or inaccurate the "facts" are) to racialize a conversation, debate, or discussion is racist. You might not like that fact because you are not, yourself, a racist. But it's a simple fact. Racializing, by definition, is racist.

That one is a prize.

And take this:
As a member of the SWPL clan, its funny Kurt would bring this up. [referring to Gingrich's voters being 1% black]

and this:
The entire nature of the two-party system ensures that both parties will be supplied with around half of the voters.

OK, 1% of Gingrich's voters in SC were black, naughty as it might be to make such an observation. And we do have a two-party system (though I think the GOP's paradigm is to have one huge party and one small remnant). And far more than 1% of SC voters are black, we can stipulate to that.

So are you proud of defending a party whose winning strategy is starting to look like "be as racist as you can get away with, attract the whites, repel the blacks, enact voter-limitation laws so fewer minorities can vote for your opposition, suck up as much money as you can from various PACs, and rent the universe of regional media for a couple weeks prior to each election so you can denigrate your opposition without stating your own platform?" If this party's candidate is elected, are you proud of the kind of legislation he'll sign?

And see if you can answer those questions without dragging in irrelevancies like who shops at the coop. We're trying to discuss national political strategy, OK?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 pm

bdog, the number of Latinos voting in yesterday's primary was so small they weren't even enumerated.

98% of the turnout was white. 1% was black, and 1% was "other" (including Latinos).

Again, for comparison, blacks make up about 30% of the state's population.

So, yes, there may be black and Latino conservatives. But the South Carolina Republican Party is, basically, a whites-only party. It has no use for blacks (or Latinos) except as scapegoats for use in stoking white resentment, or as the occasional token.

Does my pointing that out make you (and Meade) uncomfortable? Sorry. But it's the truth.

Return to “National Politics & Government”