An Article on the Pepper Spray Mentality

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: An Article on the Pepper Spray Mentality

Postby Meade » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:(sorry, Meade)

Can I take that as apology for your smearage upthread?

If so, apology accepted.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Wow. Blame the Community Investment Act. It makes a convenient scapegoat but the truth is that the lenders talked a lot of people into loans they couldn't afford and very poor federal regulation allowed them to do so. Appropriate regulation of the financial industry and other corporations could have prevented all this.

cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby cloudy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 pm

David Blaska wrote:There is a quantitative difference between being torn apart by a police dog or thrown against a lamppost by a high-pressure fire hose and, on the other hand, a dose of pepper spray.

Whatever you mean by "quantitative difference", there's no laughing off a dose of pepper spray http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gue ... per-spray/

But the real difference is qualitative. The cause of civil rights was exponentially more compelling that the selfishness of the tongue-tied, self-indulgent child Occupiers.

That you compare these poseurs in any way to the profound moral crusade that was the civil rights movement insults real bravery and trivializes morality.

MLK may not have agreed with you. Didn't he consider workers' rights and income inequality as moral issues? http://www.progress.org/dividend/cdking.html

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm

From what I've read, Glass-Steagall was essentially a hollow shell, already gutted, when Phil Gramm pushed more deregulation, and Clinton acquiesced in a trade off for passing his agenda. But you ignored the question again. How is the corporate control over Congress and presidents, for that matter, that brought about the deregulation that allowed this economy a good thing? Why should the wealthy who created these policies via that control, have extra free speech rights not available to anyone else? And why do you defend the policies and people that brought us this economy?

At the time of the collapse, November 2008, paying off all of the defaulted CRAs and sub-primes would've cost $57 billion, yet we bailed out the banks for supposedly $4.5 trillion. Why do you blame the community reinvestment act ( 1% of the bail out costs, and a program Bush advanced) for the bank's greed and corruption?

Yet another straw man... The Wizard of Oz only needed one, so yes, your ability to distract yourself with non-sequiturs is amazing

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:Oh boy... some of you can really sprint down the path of irrelevance, can't you? All you need is someone to indulge you for a second. Do we really need more of the Jonny-vs-Blaska bromides?

This issue isn't about whether the protesters represent a "compelling" argument or not. If I stood outside the Capitol with a sign reading "More Donuts for Blaska" and refused to move when approached by police officers, would spraying me with anything be more or less justifiable than if I were picketing on behalf or our wounded veterans?

False analogy. It's not one guy holding a donuts for Blaska sign (I prefer snickerdoodles). It's a couple hundred clogging up main thoroughfares, exhausting municipal health and safety resources, harassing neighboring citizens, workers and businesses, and purposefully doing so day after day and week after week.

Even with your donut example, Jason, you're giving the Occupiers more credit than they deserve. Give Blaska a donut and maybe he goes away. But these guys don't know what they want so how can anyone give it to them?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:35 pm

David Blaska wrote:It's a couple hundred clogging up main thoroughfares, exhausting municipal health and safety resources, harassing neighboring citizens, workers and businesses, and purposefully doing so day after day and week after week.

You're not referring to UC-Davis, the point of this thread, are you? Because everything I've read indicates that these kids were in contact with university administration and pretty much coming and going from the spot as class, hygiene and hunger dictated. The chancellor herself had suspended the no camping on campus rule.

You're blaming the victims in this case, David. You're also assigning the crimes of some occupy protesters in other cities to the part-time picketers at UC-Davis. Are you really saying that the cops acted responsibly here and that it was the right thing to do? That position is pretty rare and getting more so every hour.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me why it was so necessary to urgently and violently (I'd equate a face full of point-blank pepper spray with getting knocked into a lamp post by a fire hose in terms of injuries) move these kids off this part of the campus. I literally can't find an article that even speculates. Even if they ignored repeated police demands to leave the area, why can't you just surround the area and wait for them to have to go to the bathroom?

As you say yourself, they're poseurs, not revolutionaries! Are you suggesting that being poseurs alone was enough to earn the pepper spraying?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:Oh boy... some of you can really sprint down the path of irrelevance, can't you? All you need is someone to indulge you for a second. Do we really need more of the Jonny-vs-Blaska bromides?

It's the abortion thread all over again. Blaska's entry into a thread is a pretty good sign that it's going to descend into meaningless bickering, sputter on for a few more pages, and then die.

Which maybe is what deserved to happen to the abortion thread. But this was actually an interesting and timely topic. Sad to see it get Blaskified.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:51 pm

David Blaska wrote:False analogy. It's not one guy holding a donuts for Blaska sign (I prefer snickerdoodles). It's a couple hundred clogging up main thoroughfares, exhausting municipal health and safety resources, harassing neighboring citizens, workers and businesses, and purposefully doing so day after day and week after week.

That's true, except it wasn't a main thoroughfare and they weren't exhausting any resources or harassing anyone, and if I recall correctly they'd been set up for a couple of days.

Oh, wait. You WERE talking about UC Davis, right?

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:00 pm

kurt_w wrote:Which maybe is what deserved to happen to the abortion thread. But this was actually an interesting and timely topic. Sad to see it get Blaskified.

Yes, how dare a dissenting voiced be raised against the received wisdom!

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

rabble wrote:That's true, except it wasn't a main thoroughfare and they weren't exhausting any resources or harassing anyone, and if I recall correctly they'd been set up for a couple of days.

Oh, wait. You WERE talking about UC Davis, right?

On Friday a group of UC Davis students blocked the campus walkway with arms linked and started chanting, “From Davis to Greece, F*ck the police!“ Moments later the little darlings were doused with pepper spray. This was only after several attempts by campus police to get them to move. -- Gateway Pundit.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Blocking a campus walkway is cause for pepper spray?

Well great! Get the campus cops out there to Library Mall and hose down those construction workers!

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm

David Blaska wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Which maybe is what deserved to happen to the abortion thread. But this was actually an interesting and timely topic. Sad to see it get Blaskified.

Yes, how dare a dissenting voiced be raised against the received wisdom!

Not really anything to do with "dissenting voices". It's just that you keep killing off threads. And not even in an interesting or novel way. Blaska appears, and within a couple of pages the thread is sunk in petty bickering and juvenile name-calling.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

OK, hands up - who's ever been pepper sprayed? I have and it's AWFUL.

Also - if we all give Blaska a doughnut, this nightmare just might end.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:25 pm

David Blaska wrote: A little hair on the chest. The irony was, we were on the sidewalks, not blocking the roadway.

And cue the truth:

David Blaska wrote:On Friday a group of UC Davis students blocked the campus walkway

It took a while for Blaska to admit the truth, but it comes out when enough people call him out on it. See, it seems like something simple, but it's like that game you used to play in school. Whisper in someones ear, they pass it on and by the time it reaches the end it's a totally different story. Well, this time it came full circle.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Does it warm my heart to see lazy, dirty, whiney middle-class leftist brats get roughed up by the cops? I'd be lying if I said it didn't.

But, what the cops did wasn't right. Even these cretins deserve the right to act like the spoiled children that they are.

I've been treated badly by cops (verbally) a few times when pulled over for traffic violations. I just chalk it up to them not liking their jobs. The last time I got a ticket, I just handed over my ID without saying a thing. Got my ticket looking straight ahead, no emotion. Didn't say a thing. That seemed to piss him off too. Can't win.

Return to “National Politics & Government”