Koch Brothers in hot water

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Koch Brothers in hot water

Postby Lily » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 pm

The Koch Method:
"Internal company documents show that the company made those sales (to Iran) through foreign subsidiaries, thwarting a U.S. trade ban. Koch Industries units have also rigged prices with competitors, lied to regulators and repeatedly run afoul of environmental regulations, resulting in five criminal convictions since 1999 in the U.S. and Canada.

...Phil Dubose, a Koch employee who testified against the company said he and his colleagues were shown by their managers how to steal and cheat -- using techniques they called the Koch Method."

and this:

"A Bloomberg Markets investigation has found that Koch Industries -- in addition to being involved in improper payments to win business in Africa, India and the Middle East -- has sold millions of dollars of petrochemical equipment to Iran, a country the U.S. identifies as a sponsor of global terrorism. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-0 ... sales.html

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Koch Brothers in hot water

Postby Lily » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:17 pm

And if you're wondering just what businesses the Koch Brothers are involved in, here's a pretty good list with more info:

http://inspirationgreen.com/koch-brothers-products.html

indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby indycoyote » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Another GREAT Walker Recall ad:

Scotty talking to the faux-David Koch while images of Iran's Ahmadinejad flash on the screen. Be careful who you sleep with, Gov. Walker.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 pm

For some strange reason, I don't think Cap'n Cut 'N Paste will be adding this to his Enemies Among Us thread.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

This article has a photo of them. I wondered what they looked like.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/bloom ... 08559.html

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am

Unfortunately, their clueless voters and low-level minions (Scott Walker, I'm looking at you) either won't connect the dots or won't care. We'll probably see very little fallout from this one.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:37 am

They are job creators. They do not discriminate, if they have to sell equipment to Iran to create jobs, they will do it. Only pesky regulations can stop them, or perhaps not. They are job creators.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 am

Well, conservatives didn't seem to mind when Reagan sold weapons systems to Iran, including antiaircraft missiles, in an attempt to get the US hostages in Lebanon freed. (And the money was used in direct violation of the Boland Amendment, making the whole arrangement doubly illegal).

Some of us thought at the time that Reagan should have been impeached over it, but apparently "selling weapons to Iranian hostage-takers in an attempt to placate Lebanese terrorists while using the proceeds in an illegal scheme to fund Central American terrorists" does not quite rise to the level of "having too much sex in the Oval Office" in terms of impeachability.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 am

Lily wrote:
"A Bloomberg Markets investigation has found that Koch Industries -- in addition to being involved in improper payments to win business in Africa, India and the Middle East -- has sold millions of dollars of petrochemical equipment to Iran, a country the U.S. identifies as a sponsor of global terrorism. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-0 ... sales.html

Uh oh. In addition to supporting terrorism abroad, they are also undermining democracy here at home, through their shadowy front groups.

Now that Obama has asserted the right to assasinate US citizens w/o any judicial procedure, they should be very afraid. Its just a matter of time before they send drones to Kanas.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 pm

DCB wrote:
Now that Obama has asserted the right to assasinate US citizens w/o any judicial procedure, they should be very afraid. Its just a matter of time before they send drones to Kanas.

If you want to start a new topic on Obama please do so. The Koch Brothers and how they operate their business is the topic here. Now that groups have announced they're going to coordinate efforts to collect signatures for the Walker recall beginning November 15 the Government Accountability Board announced there are no limits on what individuals are allowed to donate, versus the $10K limit during a normal election year. You know the Koch Brothers will be investing quite heavily in this. Those guys just have too much interest in increasing their wealth and power at any cost.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Anyone worried about 'ol Uncle George and all of his ill-gotten cash and political meddling?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Lily wrote:
DCB wrote:

If you want to start a new topic on Obama please do so. The Koch Brothers and how they operate their business is the topic here.

My main point is to underscore the seriousness of the Koch's secret dealings. I don't think its a stretch to accuse them of supporting terrorism.

The snarky reference to Obama's outrageous expansion of executive power is just a bonus.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:12 pm

DCB wrote:Uh oh. In addition to supporting terrorism abroad, they are also undermining democracy here at home, through their shadowy front groups.
What exactly is shadowy about the Kochs? They are now a household name, as are some of the organizations they fund. Their names are often clearly listed on the mastheads of the organizations they support. How much more direct do they have to be to avoid being labeled as "shadowy"? To me, the use of the word "shadowy" just sounds like someone is too lazy to use google and read the widely available information on the Kochs' political involvements.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 pm

So here's Koch Brothers via Georgia Pacific being inviting to a man's home in Arkansas. Wanna bet how soon the Koch Brothers trip over themselves meeting this man's invitation?

"Doctors in and out of town refer to our symptoms as the Crossett Crud. It's an illness that affects our community and other parts of West Crossett near the Georgia-Pacific paper mill, the largest employer in our community of roughly 10,000 people.

Georgia-Pacific gets away with murder, and I have seen no empirical evidence from the EPA or our state environmental protection office that indicates there's been any testing done to protect us from what doctors tell me are poisonous fumes I inhale day in and day out. I can't afford to relocate on my own, and who would want to buy my home with the smell here?

My community needs help. The local Chamber of Commerce, police, fire department, schools, churches- you name it- are powerless against the Koch brothers. Their subsidiary Georgia-Pacific donates just enough money that local institutions are afraid to bite the hand that, in a poor state like Arkansas, feeds them.

My wife worked at Georgia-Pacific for 25 years and I put in 10 years there making table napkins. My neighbors and family made Georgia-Pacific what it is today.

We made it successful for you so we could share in the success. David, be my house guest and together we celebrate our achievements and begin a better tomorrow for our families."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-gr ... 05158.html

Are these really the "job creators" you want moving into Wisconsin??? How about in YOUR neighborhood?

Return to “National Politics & Government”