Glenn Beck: "Get off my phone!"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Glenn Beck: "Get off my phone!"

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Poor Glenn, he can't stand it when people know more than he does.
Glenn Beck is an emotional guy. Ain't nobody gonna dispute that. One minute he's crying because he loves his country, and the next he's suggesting California be kicked out of the Union. Earlier this week, Mr. Beck had a meltdown while "debating" health care with a caller to his radio program.

Video

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Glenn Beck: "Get off my phone!"

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:59 pm

I loved his line about how world leaders travel here for care becasue ours is just so great. I'm sure when money is not a concern it is.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:13 pm

The big problem i have with conservative talk is that they only debate themselves. And then they give themselves a big pat on the back for winning the argument.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:16 pm

It's hard not to be right when you're a Republican in general. They run on the idea that government can't do anything right and then they go to Washington and do just that.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Screaming is one way to end a debate.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 pm

talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby talagaster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of this clip, sure it's funny, but for Glenn Beck, it's maybe a 7-out-of-10 on the Beck scale of crazy. While he may have screamed like a 4-year old childwatching Bambi's Mother get shot for the first time, at least it was prompted by a caller. His tearful breakdowns on the future of America are what really weird me out, those seem to come out of nowhere.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:26 am

butters wrote:The big problem i have with conservative talk is that they only debate themselves. And then they give themselves a big pat on the back for winning the argument.

Same exact thing happens on liberal talk programs. And yes, I consider myself generally liberal.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:08 am

ilikebeans wrote:
butters wrote:The big problem i have with conservative talk is that they only debate themselves. And then they give themselves a big pat on the back for winning the argument.

Same exact thing happens on liberal talk programs. And yes, I consider myself generally liberal.

I listened to Rachael Maddow debate Pat Buchannan on her show today and she revels in debating conservatives. Ed Schultz has had lots of Republicans on his show and has extended invitations to numerous conservatives who have not yet accepted his invitation including Liz Cheney, in fact Ed says if you're a conservative you get bumped to the front of the line. Thom Hartman regularly has Republicans on his show. Even Stephanie Miller invites conservatives on her morning comedy show. Rhandi Rhodes gets off big time on conservatives calling her show. So I call bullshit on your assumption. Some liberals may feel safe in an echo chamber, but compared to the prevailing conservative media it is an insult to compare them together on the issue of being open to debate.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:14 am

Glenn Beck isn't about orderly political debate. He's tapping something much more primal in his frightened audience. In substance Beck sometimes seems less like Hannity or Limbaugh and more like paranoid Art Bell investigating the face on Mars, except that unlike Beck, I don't think Bell said Obama is Hitler. That Beck has taken this shtick mainstream says something about the times. It's all pretty fascinating in a revolting way.

GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 am

ilikebeans wrote:Same exact thing happens on liberal talk programs. And yes, I consider myself generally liberal.

You could not be anymore wrong General Liberal. Exactly what programs do you listen to, that seem liberal and scream and moan at their callers and never have the "opposition" represented? I really want to know, so I can listen. I know of only one real rabid lefty and he is more Art Bell than Beck....but is god-damn funny. I'll let you try and figure it out.
I am really sick of you lukewarm pansy-asses who don't have the guts to say "NO! these two sides of the political spectrum are not the same and don't behave in equal terms." Sure you make generalizations when comparing the fringe elements but Beck/Hannity/O'really/RimJobRush are not the fringe of the republican attack machine, they are smack dab in the mainstream. weak sauce. Weak Beans!
Nice ass kickin' by the Rabbit response!

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:23 am

GODDOG wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Same exact thing happens on liberal talk programs. And yes, I consider myself generally liberal.

You could not be anymore wrong General Liberal. Exactly what programs do you listen to, that seem liberal and scream and moan at their callers and never have the "opposition" represented? I really want to know, so I can listen. I know of only one real rabid lefty and he is more Art Bell than Beck....but is god-damn funny. I'll let you try and figure it out.
I am really sick of you lukewarm pansy-asses who don't have the guts to say "NO! these two sides of the political spectrum are not the same and don't behave in equal terms." Sure you make generalizations when comparing the fringe elements but Beck/Hannity/O'really/RimJobRush are not the fringe of the republican attack machine, they are smack dab in the mainstream. weak sauce. Weak Beans!
Nice ass kickin' by the Rabbit response!

I think you both are wrong. Oreilly and Hannity both seem to have plenty of guests and callers that have different opinions. I find Hannity extremly hard to listen to and do it only often enough to try and get a reasonable idea of how his show works. I dont watch/listen to Oreilly on a regular basis anymore but do find it somewhat entertaining when i do. Cant do Rush at all so i have no idea about how he runs his show.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Peacetrain wrote:I think you both are wrong. Oreilly and Hannity both seem to have plenty of guests and callers that have different opinions.

Yeah. But it's a rare event when those callers are not mischaracterized, shouted down, or cut off entirely. These are the debate tactics of choice for these two clowns.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:29 pm

butters wrote:
Peacetrain wrote:I think you both are wrong. Oreilly and Hannity both seem to have plenty of guests and callers that have different opinions.

Yeah. But it's a rare event when those callers are not mischaracterized, shouted down, or cut off entirely. These are the debate tactics of choice for these two clowns.

And who on the left told you that? If you have actually watched/listened to these shows you'd know that although they do do this at times its certainly not as often as you seem to think.

butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:33 pm

butters wrote:Yeah. But it's a rare event when those callers are not mischaracterized, shouted down, or cut off entirely. These are the debate tactics of choice for these two clowns.

Peacetrain wrote:And who on the left told you that? If you have actually watched/listened to these shows you'd know that although they do do this at times its certainly not as often as you seem to think.

Nobody had to tell me that. I have the ability to turn on the radio and tune in the channels all by myself. And I have ears. Although they don't cry and throw hissy fits like Beck, they are certainly skilled at the mischaracterization and the shouting down tactics when they are losing an argument or their egos are threatened.

Return to “National Politics & Government”