Gingrich Calls Sotomayor a Racist

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gingrich Calls Sotomayor a Racist

Postby keelio » Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Jazznews wrote:In his bid for the 2012 presidency Newt Gingrich tweeted that Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor is a racist and is demanding that she withdraw her nomination based on a line in a 2001 speech to a Hispanic group in Berkeley.

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said in that speech, describing how life experience can inform judicial opinions.

On Wednesday, Gingrich tweeted: "Imagine a judicial nominee said 'my experience as a white man makes me better than a latina woman.' new racism is no better than old racism."

Moments later, he followed up with the message: "White man racist nominee would be forced to withdraw. Latina woman racist should also withdraw."

CNN

Tweet! :roll: :roll:

Nothing like quoting out of context for inflammatory effect. Here's the text from Sotomayor's speech with a little more context:

In our private conversations, Judge Cedarbaum has pointed out to me that seminal decisions in race and sex discrimination cases have come from Supreme Courts composed exclusively of white males. I agree that this is significant but I also choose to emphasize that the people who argued those cases before the Supreme Court which changed the legal landscape ultimately were largely people of color and women. I recall that Justice Thurgood Marshall, Judge Connie Baker Motley, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench, and others of the NAACP argued Brown v. Board of Education. Similarly, Justice Ginsburg, with other women attorneys, was instrumental in advocating and convincing the Court that equality of work required equality in terms and conditions of employment.

Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

Let us not forget that wise men like Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice Cardozo voted on cases which upheld both sex and race discrimination in our society. Until 1972, no Supreme Court case ever upheld the claim of a woman in a gender discrimination case. I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 28, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't see Ms Sotomayor's statement as racist. I see it more as an acknowledgment that everyone's viewpoint is biased by their background. Nietzsche argued that even in the greatest attempts to present an objective determination of truth by philosophers, the results were, by and large, autobiographical statements.

If I were to pry into her thought process, I would only ask Ms Sotomayor to explain why she has a hope that her gender and ethnicity would lead to "more often than not reaching a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." A different conclusion? Perhaps. A better conclusion? Why? She acknowledges that when the Supreme Court was exclusively composed of nine white men, they often did understand "the values and needs of people from another group."

She could also explain what she considers to be the "richness of her experience." Does she imply that other experiences, e.g., those of white males, are not as rich? I would guess that anyone, regardless of their gender or ethnicity is inclined to regard their own experience as "rich." Important parts of her background sound like the experiences of those old white men who preceded her on the court-- a hard-working student who attended a private high school, Princeton University, Yale Law School.

Racist? Give me a break. Not by a long shot. That term is thrown around so easily and frequently nowadays that it has lost its real meaning and impact. Whenever I hear charges of racism I'm almost automatically inclined to assume that the accuser has nothing to go on but the hope of inciting some sort of blind reaction.

Newt is living in a dreamland if he expected Obama to nominate Scalia's cloned brother. If he doesn't like Sotomayor, he could have just said "I consider her to be too liberal to be palatable." At least that would be an honest admission of his political tastes. He's entitled to that. Hell I'd strongly prefer that any nominee to the Supreme Court would have been around at the time of the drafting of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Now THAT would have been a "rich experience" to bring to the Court! But Newt has as much chance of getting what he wants as I have of getting what I want. I do not like the thought of the courts, or any political body, being dominated by any particular political persuasion. The thought of a court of nine right wing, or nine left wing justices, are equally dangerous and distasteful to me.

I would prefer a legal forum where diverse perspectives and opinions are all heard and weighed fairly. In other words, something very unlike the Daily Page Forum! :roll:

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok, so they are going to get rid of her by saying:
A wise White man with the richness of his experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn't lived that life
I don't know, that doesn't really sound like a deal breaker to me

bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Thu May 28, 2009 7:03 pm

peripat wrote:Ok, so they are going to get rid of her by saying:
A wise White man with the richness of his experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn't lived that life

sotomayor wrote:I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

If a white man said what you said, peripat, you better believe there would be hell to pay.

It does reek of prejudice.

Personally, the whole lot of them look like a bunch of smelly lizards... regardless of their skin color or fauxnicity..

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 am

keelio wrote:
Jazznews wrote:In his bid for the 2012 presidency Newt Gingrich tweeted that Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor is a racist and is demanding that she withdraw her nomination based on a line in a 2001 speech to a Hispanic group in Berkeley.

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said in that speech, describing how life experience can inform judicial opinions.

On Wednesday, Gingrich tweeted: "Imagine a judicial nominee said 'my experience as a white man makes me better than a latina woman.' new racism is no better than old racism."

Moments later, he followed up with the message: "White man racist nominee would be forced to withdraw. Latina woman racist should also withdraw."

CNN

Tweet! :roll: :roll:

Nothing like quoting out of context for inflammatory effect. Here's the text from Sotomayor's speech with a little more context:

In our private conversations, Judge Cedarbaum has pointed out to me that seminal decisions in race and sex discrimination cases have come from Supreme Courts composed exclusively of white males. I agree that this is significant but I also choose to emphasize that the people who argued those cases before the Supreme Court which changed the legal landscape ultimately were largely people of color and women. I recall that Justice Thurgood Marshall, Judge Connie Baker Motley, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench, and others of the NAACP argued Brown v. Board of Education. Similarly, Justice Ginsburg, with other women attorneys, was instrumental in advocating and convincing the Court that equality of work required equality in terms and conditions of employment.

Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

Let us not forget that wise men like Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice Cardozo voted on cases which upheld both sex and race discrimination in our society. Until 1972, no Supreme Court case ever upheld the claim of a woman in a gender discrimination case. I, like Professor Carter, believe that we should not be so myopic as to believe that others of different experiences or backgrounds are incapable of understanding the values and needs of people from a different group. Many are so capable. As Judge Cedarbaum pointed out to me, nine white men on the Supreme Court in the past have done so on many occasions and on many issues including Brown.

However, to understand takes time and effort, something that not all people are willing to give. For others, their experiences limit their ability to understand the experiences of others. Other simply do not care. Hence, one must accept the proposition that a difference there will be by the presence of women and people of color on the bench. Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see. My hope is that I will take the good from my experiences and extrapolate them further into areas with which I am unfamiliar. I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage.

Thank you keelio, it's nice to see the whole quote. I mean the article was about Gingrich tweeting and so there's a limit to the number of words. And he and Limbaugh, and Ann Coulter, took that sentence and ran with it. They tend to do that and their listeners blindly agree with them.

Wow, Ms. Sotomayor is certainly a bright person. That piece shows just how much she knows about the history of various rulings. I'm very impressed.

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 am

peripat wrote:Ok, so they are going to get rid of her by saying:

I don't think Gingrich and Limbaugh have the power to get rid of her. Anyone in the Senate that reads the entire speech would probably be inclined to vote for her, at least I would hope they would see that she is intelligent and qualified.

Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 am

This thread (and most political discussions around here) is filled with name calling, mean-spiritedness, intolerance, sarcasm, and hatred. I could probably point out a few other negative things too if I bothered. This crap is coming from both sides of the aisle, but the crap from the left is much more vile.

That's just an observation on the discourse, and in no way intended to support or condemn Sotomayer, Obama, Gingrich, Limbaugh, et al.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 am

mrak wrote:Another interesting quote has come to light:
..... When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account.

Source

oooh, 'life experience', scary!

Why couldn't he pick one of the many insulated pod people who have riding the wave of manifest destiny for centuries?

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 am

Vinnie P wrote:This thread (and most political discussions around here) is filled with name calling, mean-spiritedness, intolerance, sarcasm, and hatred. I could probably point out a few other negative things too if I bothered. This crap is coming from both sides of the aisle, but the crap from the left is much more vile.

Maybe, but we're talking about a man who used to pretty much run the country when he was majority leader, tearing down a qualified candidate for the Supreme Court based on one sentence taken out of context. I find that pretty intolerant and scary actually. Especially since he's talking about running for president in 2012.

Whatever you may think about what people in this forum are saying, having a potential president tear someone down without any careful analysis is worse.

That's just an observation on the discourse, and in no way intended to support or condemn Sotomayer, Obama, Gingrich, Limbaugh, et al.

And so what do you think about what Gingrich said, or about Sotomayor and her qualifications for he Supreme Court?

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Jazznews wrote:And so what do you think about what Gingrich said, or about Sotomayor and her qualifications for he Supreme Court?

Sounds like King Baby Newt has officially joined the United States of the Offended.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Why, she is a racist. She's a member of the racist organization "La Raza".

That's our Ned: bringing the stupid to the Daily Page.

And to those decrying the 'disgusting' rhetoric of the left:

Enjoy!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Ned Flanders: Repeatedly believing things that are not true. Fool. What more did you expect? Ned care to rescind your latin KKK statement?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm

How disappointing.

Here I was, waiting to hear from Cuban American Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) just what sort of racism he'd been up to that would qualify him for the award he accepted from La Raza earlier this year.

Also looking forward to hearing from Alberto Gonzales about which of his racist beliefs earned him an endorsement for La Raza for his AG nomination.

And, of course, hearing from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) about his keynote address to La Raza last year, presumably about how he supported their "racist" mission. (Any word whether he delivered the speech in English or in "Illegal Alien", as Liddy so charmingly put it?)

Maybe now that we're learning that La Raza isn't a racist organization at all, they'll say something instead to condemn the slander coming from their fellow GOP'ers.

Looking forward to hearing from them.

Any time now.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Afraid of losing Hispanic and women voters, the GOP establishment is running away from the slurs cast on Sotomayor.
Republican leaders on Capitol Hill are rushing to contain racially tinged rhetoric in the debate over President Obama's Supreme Court nominee, fearing that attacks emanating from some conservatives opposed to appellate court Judge Sonia Sotomayor could damage GOP prospects among women and the rapidly growing Hispanic population.

Wash Post

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 pm

I love how these idiots Republican "leaders" and their lapdog minions like Ned, being cheered on by their Dear Leader Rush, keep eagerly running right into trap after trap after trap being set by President Obama and his team. These shit-head Republicans are too stupid to develop a learning curve.

Return to “National Politics & Government”