oh no, it's Sotomayor

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

oh no, it's Sotomayor

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 am

Obama selected Sotomayor for the Supreme Court. This is gonna suck. She is the federal judge who ruled against the white firefighters in New Haven.

This is a deliberate attempt by Obama to provoke a controversy. Probably he also thinks she is a good choice, and most agree it is cool to have a female Hispanic on the court. But I believe Obama also thinks the Dems will benefit from the controversy that ensues. I heard this theory from a pundit a couple weeks ago. The idea is to bait the Republicans into a fight over affirmative action, which will act mostly to solidfy the Hispanic vote for Democrats.

I think that New Haven case sucks ass. It was a ridiculous ruling and I expect the Supreme Court will overturn it, and it could occur in the middle of her confirmation hearings.

I'm all for anything that hurts the Republican Party, but having a debate that pits a false choice between the worst excesses of Affirmative Action with whether a Hispanic Woman should be on the court is not good for the country.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: oh no, it's Sotomayor

Postby wallrock » Tue May 26, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm no fan of the Ricci case myself, and I especially didn't like the fact that there seems to be very little actual basis to the three appellate judges' decision. Depending on how Kennedy swings in next month's SC decision, this could very likely dominate the confirmation hearings. From Slate: The Sotomayor Mystery.

Even so, I don't see the Senate not confirming the first Hispanic female SC nominee.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: oh no, it's Sotomayor

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 26, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm a little disappointed that Obama didn't spend the extra time searching for someone who would really piss off the goopers. Hispanic is ok, but she ain't Mexican and nothing gets a redneck's dander up like a Mexican. Perhaps rather than calling her a Puerto Rican American we should refer to her as the "chick that speaks Mexican." Oh yeah.

Return to “National Politics & Government”