More Immigration Insanity

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

More Immigration Insanity

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Immigration raid leaves young behind

As many as 200 children were stranded after federal officials detained 350 suspected illegal immigrants at a New Bedford factory that makes supplies for the military.

The children, including many nursing babies, were left with relatives, landlords or even strangers after the immigration raid, according to a community development group.

Ah yes. The xenophobic Right, party of family values. So here we have undocumented workers trying to be productive members of society (and supporting the military in the process, no less) unceremoniously hauled away and detained while their young children sit in fear wondering if they'll ever see Mom and/or Dad again.

And the real slap in the face? The youngest (in fact, the majority) of these kids ARE AMERICAN CITIZENS! What of their rights? Oh ... right ... they're kids. Screw their rights. What are they gonna do, petition Congress for redress of their grievances? To hell with them.

How many of you would be comfortable leaving your kid with a stranger if the police had to haul you in for so much as an hour's worth of questioning, I wonder. No ... you'd flip the fuck out and we'd never hear the end of that injustice.

Here's an idea: Why don't we work first to round-up those illegals engaged in dangerous criminal activity and find a better solution for those who are working and paying taxes? Bush supposedly supports an amnesty program, but while the GOP falls all over itself trying to demonize these people whose only real crime is wanting a shot at the myth that is the American Dream, crap like this is going down. It's like Communist China disappearing people in the middle of the night.

More from The Boston Herald:

[quote]Gov. Deval Patrick today blasted â??heavy-handedâ?Â

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:06 pm

These people were here illegally. That fact that children of illegal aliens automatically become citizens is where the insanity lies.

These people should be bussed back to Mexico, given a few bucks and given a hearty sayonara.

The employers should be prosecuted and fined.

This stuff just has to stop.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:13 pm

So while you're ordinarily a lockstep Bush boot-licker, in this instance your racist tendencies and irrational fears trump your support of the president's proposed amnesty policy, huh?

Interesting. Pathetic and sad, but interesting. I guess I'm not surprised.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:28 pm

What's "pathetic and sad" about expecting people to obey and enforce the law?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Chuck Schick wrote:So while you're ordinarily a lockstep Bush boot-licker, in this instance your racist tendencies and irrational fears trump your support of the president's proposed amnesty policy, huh?

"Always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by an even deeper prejudice." - Mikey, Lone Star

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Chuck Schick wrote:So while you're ordinarily a lockstep Bush boot-licker, in this instance your racist tendencies and irrational fears trump your support of the president's proposed amnesty policy, huh?

"Always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by an even deeper prejudice." - Mikey, Lone Star

Another bizarre, Orewellian response.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Another bizarre, Orwellian response.

The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Tolerator » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:48 pm

This really isn't a racial issue, especially if you get down the facts. Chuck's premise is completely wrong.

The ones at fault are the people breaking the law. Shame on them for subjecting their children to abandonment because they want to do something the illegel way instead of the legal way.

Let's make a simple analogy so you can follow. If I take my kids and try to run across the interstate, I am putting them at risk of getting hit by a car. Whose at fault the car? The driver? The kid? No the parent.

So the bad guys in this situation are clearly the parents that have brought their kids into a dangerous situation when they chose to break the law.

They could have gone to immigration to make arrangments to come here legally. They chose not to. Shame on them!
Where is the racism?

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 pm

The illegal immigration situation needs some rethinking, but not what's been proposed.

Sure, we could "amnesty" all the illegal immigrants. Note that amnesty is the wrong term - that simply means forgetting their crime, i.e. saying that if they go back to Mexico now we won't count this offense against them when they apply for legal immigration status. What is actually proposed with "amnesty" is that we specially reward the illegal immigrants who can document that they violated the law for a long period by giving them a special fast-track citizenship denied to other applicants.

I can just see how this would go... (begin subtitles)

INS Dispatcher: So in order to process your citizenship application I'm going to need your documentation...

Matilda: You mean my Mexican passport?

INS: No, that's no good for this. I need the fake driver's license that says you're Ingrid Bergman.

Matilda (complies)

INS: This driver's license says it was issued in 2006. That's not long ago enough to document amnesty. Do you have any other evidence of your stay here?

Matilda: Well, I have Ingrid Bergman's birth certificate...

INS: What's the date on that?

Matilda: 1916.

INS: That'll do. Now tell us, do you have any husbands you'd like to qualify for permanent residency?

Anyway, I think that making people document they committed a crime in order to be rewarded with citizenship is a mite peculiar.

I also cannot support a "guest worker" (second class citizen) status because it means having people in this country competing for American jobs who have no rights and no recourse, which is as bad if not worse than the situation now.

So what I support is this:

1. Reduce demand for illegal immigration by raising legal immigration quotas to more realistic levels. Immigration means a path to citizenship and full rights as an American.

2. Reduce demand for illegal immigration by raising the exchange value of the Mexican peso. This involves (a) market manipulation of exchange rates as done for many other currencies, (b) increasing Mexican tourism by funding a program of malaria eradication in Guatemala/Belize similar to Mexico's highly successful program (because their mosquitoes cross the Mexican border...), so that all of Mexico can be certified malaria free and draw more foreign tourists, (c) direct transfer of cash to Mexico in exchange for territorial sovereignty - I'm thinking of a replay of the Gadsden purchase - subsequent development of the real estate as U.S. soil will more than pay for that program.

3. Reduce the dumping of displaced labor into the Mexican market - reduce the effect of exported U.S. crops on subsistence farming in Mexico so that indigenous people can stay on their land, support the resurgent Daniel Ortega government's objective of making Nicaragua a place where poor people can live so that 250,000 Nicaraguans go back there from Mexico.

4. DEMAND improvements against corruption in exchange for positive American programs and aid to Mexico. DEMAND improvements in labor treatment, civil liberties, and any other factor to help entice Mexicans to remain at home. DEMAND that in exchange for any concession made to allow Mexicans to live and work in America that Americans receive equal concessions on their right to live, work, or retire to Mexico.

Woe Now
Forum Addict

Postby Woe Now » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:01 pm

The Tolerator wrote:This really isn't a racial issue, especially if you get down the facts. Chuck's premise is completely wrong.

The ones at fault are the people breaking the law. Shame on them for subjecting their children to abandonment because they want to do something the illegel way instead of the legal way.

Let's make a simple analogy so you can follow. If I take my kids and try to run across the interstate, I am putting them at risk of getting hit by a car. Whose at fault the car? The driver? The kid? No the parent.

So the bad guys in this situation are clearly the parents that have brought their kids into a dangerous situation when they chose to break the law.

They could have gone to immigration to make arrangments to come here legally. They chose not to. Shame on them!
Where is the racism?

Hear Hear!

Thanks for not letting Chuckles get away with that Bull Shit.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Well, well, what a surprise. Looks like, yet again, it's Schick versus the legion of Gringo morons on this issue. I guess that's pretty representative of the country's attitude, huh? Even a majority of progressives are chickenshit when it comes to speaking out on this one.

Mike, once again you prove yourself a simpleton. Your "solution" may have some merit, but does nothing to address the fact that there are millions of undocumented workers currently flying under the radar, doing the shit work no one else wants to do, paying shitloads in taxes and contributing to the economy.

How do you presume to round them up? How will you pay to cart them all back from whence they came? Oh, you can't? How do you propose we make up for the lost payroll and Social Security taxes these folks are paying once you ship them out? Didn't think of that? Well, welcome to the real fuckin' world.

As for the rest of you, the immigrants are the only ones culpable, huh? Never mind that this company (and thousands of others the whole country over) are actively recruiting illegal immigrants into their workforce. As usual, those with the most power are the least accountable.

And despite that it was the major thrust of my post, not one of you has expressed the least sympathy that these young Americans have been dispossessed of their guardians. Such compassionate conservatives you are. Like it or not, children in this country are American citizens, regardless or the status of their parents. That's the law. Those of you bitching about their law-breaking parents ought to be equally outraged that these young citizens have been left in limbo because of the haste and political haymaking of a bunch of policy making goons who are shooting at easy targets instead doing the real work of national security.

I'll bet there's not one of you capable of proving that all of your forebears arrived on these shores with their papers in order. But white makes right, huh?

Among ugly Americans, y'all are the butt-ugliest. It's so much easier to foment hatred and fear than to actually use your brain for problem solving purposes, huh? How proud your immigrant forebears would be if they could see you now.

Woe Now
Forum Addict

Postby Woe Now » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Weeeeeeeeeâ?Š.watch me. Iâ??m Cherry Pickinâ?? Chuck.

Well, well, what a surprise. Looks like, yet again, it's Schick versus the legion of Gringo morons on this issue.

No, its you versus the law

â??â?Š. there are millions of undocumented workers currently flying under the radar, doing the shit work no one else wants to do, paying shitloads in taxes and contributing to the economy.

Buzzzzzz. So you are saying some folks donâ??t want to work and that â??undocumented workersâ?Â

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 pm

"The fact is that undocumented workers pay for entitlements they do not receive. They do not qualify for SSI, food stamps, TANF, full-scope Medicaid, Social Security or Section 8 housing assistance (The Center on Work and Community Development, 2004)."

- from Living An Illusion: The Contributions of Undocumented Workers and Immigration Reform by Brian Halderman

The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Tolerator » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:59 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
As for the rest of you, the immigrants are the only ones culpable, huh? Never mind that this company (and thousands of others the whole country over) are actively recruiting illegal immigrants into their workforce. As usual, those with the most power are the least accountable.

And despite that it was the major thrust of my post, not one of you has expressed the least sympathy that these young Americans have been dispossessed of their guardians. Such compassionate conservatives you are. Like it or not, children in this country are American citizens

Where to start, where to start.

I've never seen any legitimate evidence that companies in America are recruiting illegals out of their countries. I picture Americans in Mexico saying, "You're coming with me to America whether you like it or not, and I'm going to pay you." Doesn't happen.

Compassion, with a close reading you will notice that I called it a shame, a shame on the parents that have done this to their kids - not once, but twice.

About them being citizens, that is only because the Constitution has been misapplied for about the last 100 years regarding this issue. The Constitution does not grant citizenship just by being born in the country. It's a fact, but lawyers have been exploiting this misapplication for so long now everyone is convinced that's what the founding fathers intended.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 am

The Tolerator wrote:About them being citizens, that is only because the Constitution has been misapplied for about the last 100 years regarding this issue. The Constitution does not grant citizenship just by being born in the country. It's a fact, but lawyers have been exploiting this misapplication for so long now everyone is convinced that's what the founding fathers intended.

It's so nice that you think you're a constitutional scholar because you read a Heritage Foundation diatribe on the matter.

Return to “National Politics & Government”