Ann Althouse: Making us proud

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:30 am

She revels in her ego. Very hungry for attention.

And she finds it tasteless when people disagree with her.

Maybe this Palay fellow shuld start a blog.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:40 am

The biggest problem with blogs is that any idiot can start one.

The second biggest is that most do.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:28 am

From Ann Althouse:

Ha. To say that is to show that you don't get this blog. I use rhetorical devices intended to engage the reader's mind. If you jump without thinking, you are missing the point. You have to think here. It may often seem simple, and you may think you know what is being said, but that is a trap for the unwary. I'm starting a discussion here, often with questions and elision. If you think I'm just sledgehammering opinions like your typical partisan political blogger, you will stumble endlessly here.

I was scratching my head wondering why this sounded so familiar. Then I remembered, from long ago:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 am

Ha-ha!! Excellent, buckyour!

Now the latest is that a UW Madison professor of law is pepetuating a lie against a US Senator on her blog.

Both Powerline and Ann Althouse are pepetuating a falsehood against Senator Kerry. It's not the worst as these things go, but a despicable lie nonetheless.

Here's the Powerline post: http://powerlineblog.com/archives/016314.php
Here's the Althouse post: http://www.blogger.com/publish-comment. ... 85263&r=ok

Here's the issue:
Powerline alleges that on his recent visit to Iraq John Kerry was shunned by the troops. they show a picture of Kerry talking to some people over a meal as "proof."

Problem for them is that these pictures store data for when they were taken. And the EXIF data for this picture shows it was taken on January 9, 2006 (with a Vivicam 8400), long before the botched joke which Ann Althouse falsely represents.

So, if a law professor is out there perpetuating falsehoods, are there any standards the university employs? Or is tenure license to lie?

p.s. Someone points out the camera revealed in the EXIF data, Vivicam 8400, was not released until February. So, it's not as clearcut as it appears, though Althouse still falsely describes Kerry as calling the troops "losers," which is not the fact, literally or figuratively.
Last edited by AlphaLiberal on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:50 am

Can anyone tell me why it is that Republicans seem so adept at holding grudges against former candidates, etc? Ned still likes to crack funnies at Paul Wellstone, and the guy isn't even alive anymore. Honestly, I can't imagine sitting around stewing about how much I hate Bob Dole.

Is a failed candidate simply an inviting target? I don't know of a single Democrat that hopes Kerry will run again in 2008, so beating up on him seems rather pointless.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:03 pm

I agree Kerry is toast. As to why the righties do this, they just get juiced up on the campaigns to destroy those candidates and, once their teeth are sunk in, don't let go.

I think it's as simple as that. Kerry opposed Bush, Kerry must be quashed for all time. It's part of the authoritarian, "follow the leader" mindset of modern conservatives.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:16 pm

The story has legs!

At PowerLine, another problem surfaced: As commenter "Angus" noted, the flag hanging to the right of the Union Jack belongs to Portugal, which withdrew its mighty 120-man coalition force from Iraq nearly two years ago.
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002245.php

But poor Ann doesn't get attention for this story!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:02 pm

pjbogart wrote:Can anyone tell me why it is that Republicans seem so adept at holding grudges against former candidates, etc? Ned still likes to crack funnies at Paul Wellstone, and the guy isn't even alive anymore.

It's like when a rabid pitbull is sicked on a cat. Once the mad dog has the cat clamped in it's jaw, the pitbull is not going to stop shaking, biting and chewing on the other animal, even after it's obviously dead, until someone takes out a pistol and puts down the mad dog.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Well, this odd debate has played out all over the internets, and another false conservative attack meme (propagated UW Law Prof and so-called "moderate" Ann Althouse) has been deflated.

The photo is authentic, the conclusions are ridiculous. The people Kerry is meeting with are reporters from the NY Times.

Let's review the state of this weird little debate for the two contrastig examples of "intellectual honesty:"

- Liberals question accuracy of partisan photo of Kerry. Ask questions, get answers, accept authenticity. Still question premise, that photo shows Kerry shunned.

- Conservatives engage questioning on photo. Some provide more data, some agree with questions and some reflexively lob insults at libs. When account of meeting is provided, they refuse to accept it and insist new facts don't change their conclusions.

Liberals: Win points for intellectual honesty. Show con conclusions are BS.

Conservatives: Lose points for intellectual honesty. Show con conclusions are BS.

Conclusion on photo: Soldiers were shunning NY Times reporters, not Kerry.

Links
http://blog.thedemocraticdaily.com/?p=5019
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002252.php
http://www.areavoices.com/hottalk/?page ... &blog=5117

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ann Althouse suffers Kerry Derangement Syndrome

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:43 pm

AlphaLiberal wrote:Why do I do this to myself?

rhetorial post?

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:I'd like to debate Althouse to the death in a steel cage.

I was about to say I'd pay big money upfront to see that, because after all--

--when I noticed you beat me to the quip:

Wait ... no I wouldn't. She'd bore me to congestive cardiac arrest inside of 2 minutes.

Only time I visited her site, didn't see anything going on, thought-wise, so I never went back.

Maybe cons like her cause it's she's the only thing law prof unfamiliar to the wingers? I don't find a viable explanationa either.

P'tickly mindless when she says:
From Ann Althouse:

Ha. To say that is to show that you don't get this blog. I use rhetorical devices intended to engage the reader's mind. If you jump without thinking, you are missing the point. You have to think here. It may often seem simple, and you may think you know what is being said, but that is a trap for the unwary.

Clearly lost in a world she never made. Gotta flee that stuff for sanity's sake.[/quote]

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:58 am

...you may think you know what is being said, but that is a trap for the unwary....

Where I come from, it's called unclear writing, which frequently stems from unclear thinking. It's doubly embarrassing in a law professor. You get the feeling one of the quicker radio talk-show hosts could have finessed his/her way out of this one, but Ann just digs herself in deeper because of this essential dumbness that emanates from what she writes. From that springs defensiveness, and from that springs public meltdowns where she deletes other people's remarks and makes transparent, self-serving excuses for doing so.

A blogger needs a quick mind and nerves of steel, neither of which Ann's demonstrated in the long run. The cons' internal pundit-screening mechanism is collapsing right along with everything else in their world.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:07 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:The biggest problem with blogs is that any idiot can start one.

Holy crap.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:24 am

snoqueen wrote:
...you may think you know what is being said, but that is a trap for the unwary....

Where I come from, it's called unclear writing, which frequently stems from unclear thinking. It's doubly embarrassing in a law professor. You get the feeling one of the quicker radio talk-show hosts could have finessed his/her way out of this one, but Ann just digs herself in deeper because of this essential dumbness that emanates from what she writes. From that springs defensiveness, and from that springs public meltdowns where she deletes other people's remarks and makes transparent, self-serving excuses for doing so.

It reminds me of nothing so much as the scene in A Shot in the Dark where Sellars' Inspector Clouseau falls off an ottoman and jumps quickly to his feet, shouting, "That was all carefully planned!"

'A trap for the wary' - that's the ticket.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:44 am

jjoyce wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:The biggest problem with blogs is that any idiot can start one.

Holy crap.

I guess that's the beauty of the free market of ideas.

But it resembles George Will the other day, reacting to blogging, new media, and Time's picking YOU as Man of the Year: ~ "blogging is devoted to the notion that what you feeel is of interest to every last person on the planet . . ." et-fuckin cetera

Return to “National Politics & Government”