Ann Althouse: Making us proud

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Ann Althouse: Making us proud

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Why do I do this to myself? Every now and then I'll check out what Madison's (ugh) Most Famousist Blogger has to say. (actually, maybe she's second to John Nichols).

In one post, Ann Althouse falsely states that John Kerry called the troops "losers." No, he didn't, Ann, though Karl Rove thanks you for pepetuating that lie.
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2006/12/he ... s-for.html
And why would Kerry do that anyway? AND... will you take every Bush utterance literally, Althouse?

Then, Ann Althouse draws a link even the White House has gievn up on! That's right, according to Ann Althouse the invasion and occupation of Iraq was all about "fighting back" for 9/11.

ADDED: A key question -- with an unknowable answer -- is: How many Americans would have died in post-9/11 attacks if we had not chosen the path of fighting back?
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2006/12/nu ... ed-in.html

As they say, "The stupid. It hurts!"

p.s. i changed the thread title to something more entertaining. Hat tip to Crooks and Liars. Oh, and [url="http://althouse.blogspot.com/2006/12/oh-noooo-im-in-future.html#comments"]Ann Althouse[/url]
Last edited by AlphaLiberal on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:29 pm

Picking your battles, I see . . .

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Honestly, Alpha, I don't know why you bother. Surely Ms. Althouse is intelligent enough to know when she's repeating lies. She's also intelligent enough to know that there's a large and profitable market for such lies. I sincerely doubt she has any real respect for her target audience.

I think she's gunning for Ann Coulter-esque book deals and some camera time on Fox and Friends.

Regardless, arguing with her cult of dunderheads is a waste of time.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Yeah, good reminder.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:08 pm

By the way, if you want to argue with a really intelligent conservative from the law school, see if you can engage Thomas Palay. I guarantee you won't get any "Kerry called the troops stupid" tripe from him.

Oh yeah, and he'll probably give you quite the cognitive beat-down.

hi, i'm new here

Postby hi, i'm new here » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:43 pm

pjbogart wrote:By the way, if you want to argue with a really intelligent conservative from the law school, see if you can engage Thomas Palay. I guarantee you won't get any "Kerry called the troops stupid" tripe from him.

Oh yeah, and he'll probably give you quite the cognitive beat-down.

I dunno, PJ. I just had a class with him this past semester and he seemed to confuse himself most days.
Does he have a blog where he lets his views out? I haven't heard his take on anything political... just torts.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:49 pm

I did succeed in getting Althouse to (weakly) defend her babblings. It's kind of a hoot From Ann Althouse:

Ha. To say that is to show that you don't get this blog. I use rhetorical devices intended to engage the reader's mind. If you jump without thinking, you are missing the point. You have to think here. It may often seem simple, and you may think you know what is being said, but that is a trap for the unwary. I'm starting a discussion here, often with questions and elision. If you think I'm just sledgehammering opinions like your typical partisan political blogger, you will stumble endlessly here.

More good criticisms of Althouse, there.

I guess it just irritates me whenever I see "Ann Althouse" and "Madison, Wisconsin" in the same sentence.

p.s. I don't think she's an idiot.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:41 pm

hi, i'm new here wrote:I dunno, PJ. I just had a class with him this past semester and he seemed to confuse himself most days.
Does he have a blog where he lets his views out? I haven't heard his take on anything political... just torts.

Dr. Palay is one of those die-hard free market capitalists, really more of a Libertarian than a Republican, but quite conservative overall (if the bow tie didn't give him away). I admit he can seem (or seemed) kind of goofy at times, but if you engage him one on one you'll get the sense that his wheels are spinning pretty fast.

And no, he doesn't talk a lot of politics, but he sure loves torts.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm

AlphaLiberal wrote:I did succeed in getting Althouse to (weakly) defend her babblings. It's kind of a hoot From Ann Althouse:

Oh lord, she gets me every time I click one of these links. Says something lame, half her starstruck readers agree with her because they all shared that same kool-aid, and when somebody calls her on her parroting of disgraced talking points, she claims intellectual superiority and says "you just don't get me." That's not a defense.

Well, if her purpose is to get people arguing in cyberspace, she does a pretty good job but... you know, that doesn't take anything but software, server space, and spare time.
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:31 pm

Wow! Ann Althouse really had a meltdown! A number of her commenters asked her to explai what she meant by her comment; "How many Americans would have died in post-9/11 attacks if we had not chosen the path of fighting back?"

Well, in reply she posted onlyu that snotty comment above, about how any problems or confusion readers find in her writing must be on their end.

So, some readers asked her to explain what she meant by that. She got huffy, deleted all those requests and said:
I have had to delete a whole series of comments from people who are being abusive to me and totally oblivious to the context of this post, which is about people dying. The shameful lack of taste here is intolerable. I am closing the comments here now.

This is bizarre and intellectually dishonest. Most of those posts weren't "abusive," but some were critical and snarky. To ding people as showing a lack of taste when she raised a debate over the number of people killed in the Iraq war is dishonest. War supporters should face their complicity in those deaths, including Althouse.

Damn, I'm glad I never have to have her for a prof! Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:34 pm

And, for the record, when Ann says she's a moderate, remember her pimping for votes as "Favorite Grande Conservative Blogress Diva?"

Only time I think I'll ever vote for Michelle Malkin!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I just went back and read the remainder of her topic, or what was left of it after she erased everyone else's remarks.

Looks like the world can see who won that round.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:51 am

I don't know from Althouse (although my sister and her partner did go to law school with her),but Tom Palay is the best Socratic professor I've ever encountered.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 am

I'd like to debate Althouse to the death in a steel cage.

Wait ... no I wouldn't. She'd bore me to congestive cardiac arrest inside of 2 minutes.

D to the U to the M to the B! C to the U to the N ...

shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:07 am

I read it sometimes, I find it is useful to see "what the other side thinks", since she is much too conservative for my taste. She is clearly not interested in debate or disagreement, just in pontificating. There is no point in arguing with her in the comments.

What I find amazing is her enormous ego, it is really stunning. Altmouse is a good antidote.

Return to “National Politics & Government”