The Wilsons sue The Bush Gang

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Do you support the Wilsons' lawsuit against The Regime?

Yes, the White House is no sanctuary for illegal deeds!
100%
No, we must protect Dear Leader from all criticism and accountability
No votes
Oh, I dunno. Was Dennis really such a menace?
No votes

Total votes: 14

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

The Wilsons sue The Bush Gang

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Joe and Valerie (Plame) Wilson have filed a lawsuit against Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and 10 unnamed administration officials or political operatives. This is the greatest hope for preserving the American democratic system in the face of an over-reaching authoritarian Presidency that we have seen in six years.

The Wilsons are bravely fighting against a corrupt and ruthless regime. Joe Wilson publicly contradicted the false reasons used for the invasion and occupation of Iraq ("uranium from Africa") and, for exercising his freedom of speech, the bush-Cheney Administration exposed his wife's cover. Ironically enough, she was working on containing proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Please join me in supporting their efforts by donating to their legal trust. You can donate, find more background information and corrections to falsehoods perpetuated by the regime at http://www.wilsonsupport.org/ The Wilsons will have massive legal bills and need our support.

This is the time to come forward and repudiate a ruthless regime with financial support for a brave American couple.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:43 pm

A summary of the charges filed against members of The Bush Crime Family:
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001128.php#more

I will paste some in here, but there's more at the link:
The complaint details eight causes of action, all surrounding the trio's involvement in outing Valerie Wilson as a CIA agent:

1) Violation of First Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech - because the First Amendment "prohibits government officials from subjecting any individual to retaliatory action in reprisal for the exercise of the right to speech."

2) Violation of Fifth Amendment Right to Equal Protection of the Laws - because the Equal Protection Clause of the Fifth Amendment "prohibits government officials from intentionally subjecting any individual to treatment that is different from that accorded to others similarly situated and is without legitimate basis." In other words, they singled the Wilsons out for a smear job.

3) Violation of Fifth Amendment Right to Privacy - because the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment "prohibits government officials from violating any individual's right to privacy by publicly disclosing personal information."

4) Violation of Fifth Amendment Right to Property - because the Due Process Clause "prohibits government officials from depriving any individual of a property interest in employment without due process."

5) Conspiracy to Deprive Persons of Their Civil Rights - because Rove, Cheney and Libby conspired to deprive the Wilsons of their civil rights (as described in 1-4).

6) Action for Neglect to Prevent Civil Rights Violation - because Rove, Cheney, and Libby could have stopped the smearing of the Wilsons, but didn't, and then lied to investigators and the federal grand jury about their role in the leak.

7) Public Disclosure of Private Facts - because "The Defendants caused widespread publication of a private fact... in a manner that would be deemed outrageous and highly offensive to a reasonable person of ordinary sensibilites."

8 ) Civil Conspiracy.

AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AlphaLiberal » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Damn! Ain't this a popular thread!

Well, I just loves to share. Don't miss this post from TPMMuckracker on the news gaggle with Val and Joe. Oh, I just can't wait until all those questions asked before the grand jury are asked in a public courtroom!!
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001137.php
The media love Valerie Plame Wilson.

Scratch that. Everybody loved Valerie Plame Wilson at the National Press Club this morning, where Plame and her husband, Joe Wilson, announced their civil suit against Vice President Cheney, Karl Rove and Scooter Libby. And where Valerie herself spoke, walked, and smiled for a grateful media audience, for perhaps the first time since the scandal broke.

Oh, and any guesses who the '"political operatives with close ties to" senior government officials' are?

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:53 pm

I admire the idea and intent.

Let's see what happens. I've gotten overexcited about these guys getting theirs, and they keep slipping out of justice's grip.

*fingers crossed*

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:26 pm

SIZZAW wrote:*fingers crossed*

From Salon:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/ ... me_wilson/
The Fifth Amendment's protection against self-incrimination, however, still applies to Libby, Cheney Rove and the unidentified defendants in a way it didn't for Blake and Simpson. Both Blake and Simpson had already been acquitted, and because of the Constitution's protection against double jeopardy, they could not be charged for the same crime again. Since they were no longer at risk of self-incrimination, they could no longer invoke the Fifth to avoid answering questions about the murders.
The defendants in the Wilsons' lawsuit, in contrast, can still refuse to answer certain questions. They haven't been prosecuted for the criminal allegation at the heart of the case and thus could still incriminate themselves. Even an indictment and a dismissal, under certain circumstances, would have diminished their Fifth Amendment protections. Despite the fact that they may, at long last, have to answer many questions about their conduct three years ago, Libby, Cheney, and Rove can still keep mum if they desire on those questions for which Plame watchers most want answers.

So, although the exact questions they refuse to answer will probably tell an interesting story in itself, they may well yet stay slick and slippery.

And no, I don't feel like donating money to their case. If a former US ambassador and a former CIA agent (who's also hot) can't find their own backers for that thing, they don't have a chance in hell. I'll cheer but they, of all people, should be able to fight the good fight on their own.

Return to “National Politics & Government”