Senate Race: I need your help

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Who's had a greater impact on our nation's political life in 2005?

Kohl
65%
Masel
35%

Total votes: 23

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Senate Race: I need your help

Postby bmasel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:29 am

This morning's Milwaukee Journal Sentinal carries an article on the upcoming Senate race in Wisconsin, Kohl gears up for battle against unknown.

He's starting 2006 with $4 million in his campaign account. His campaign is already well staffed. His people have put together a DVD touting his political virtues and plan to distribute up to 100,000 of copies of it across Wisconsin. They're lining up endorsements from business owners, veterans, nurses, you name it. They're planning to open campaign offices around the state.

then

Three people have notified the state election commission that they intend to be Republican candidates. They are Marc Gumz of Baraboo, Robert Gerald Lorge of Bear Creek and David Redick of Madison. None appears positioned to launch a major campaign.

No mention of my Primary challenge (or Rae Vogeler's Green Party run.) I'm seeking letters to the JS, reminding them of the presence in the race of Kohl's best known declared challenger, yours truly. Please include my email, bmasel@tds.net . The article's author, Alan J. Borsuk: aborsuk@journalsentinel.com , and the letters to the editor page: jsedit@journalsentinel.com .

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:19 pm

Beside the fact that you would be a terrible US Senator, you don't have a chance in hell of getting elected. Why don't you roll up another doobie instead wasting bandwidth on this server.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:36 pm

I harbor no illusions as to the odds I'll be taking the seat, but have to dispute your asserition as to the quality of the job I'm capable of. I already read the fucking bills, and I'm not getting paid for it. Who else sounded an alarm over the expansion of "Free Speech Zone" authority in the latest draft of the Patriot Act.?

If we were discussing an administative, rather than a legislative, position, you might have a point.

Care to elaborate on which of Herb's myriad accomplishments over the past 18 years demonstate his fitness for the job?

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:01 pm

I agree with you that Kohl is a suck ass Senator but you should maintain your natural role as a "Till Eulenspiegel". This is your particular genius.

Jeff Mackesey

Go for it, Ben!

Postby Jeff Mackesey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 pm

You would make a wonderful Senator. Don't listen to the "know nothings" on this board. Herb Kohl is closeted republican and worthless as a Senator. I find him to be of the rich, for the rich.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:42 pm

bmasel wrote:Care to elaborate on which of Herb's myriad accomplishments over the past 18 years demonstate his fitness for the job?

1. He was elected three times.
2. He, uh ... there was the, um ...
3. Three times!

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Well Mr. Candidate, as a voter and taxpayer there is one thing I need to know from you: What is your position on the banning of smoking in bars?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:09 pm

And while your at it, Ben, what is your position on people who don't pay their taxes?

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Mr. Blues wrote:Well Mr. Candidate, as a voter and taxpayer there is one thing I need to know from you: What is your position on the banning of smoking in bars?

1. Not a federal issue and I don't intend to make it one.

2. The ban is not unconstitutional. The 21st Amendment, repealing prohibition, has been interpreted to give States near absolute discretion in regulating booze, and they may delegate that power to municipalities.

3. This does not make Madison's smoking ban wise policy. The near absence of non-smoking establishments prior to the ban represented a market failure which could have been remedied by measures far short of an absolute ban. I'd be okay with incentives to go non-smoking, plus a strict ventilation requirement on bars which decide to allow smoking.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:22 pm

ouuuucchhh...

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:And while your at it, Ben, what is your position on people who don't pay their taxes?

This one hits close to home. I have an appeal pending on just how much I owe, hope to get a reasonable resolution and pay up in the next couple weeks., before I'm featured on the linked website.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:32 pm

I already voted absentee, and I voted for you, Ben. :wink:

Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mike S. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:17 pm

Hmmm... you know I like you for Senator, but I can't say I'm happy about the suggestion of a strict ventilation requirement. There's just too much mechanical racket out there already, and unlike the bar patrons, the neighbors wouldn't be given a choice. Besides, realistically speaking, as long as the smoking area is partitioned off and there is even a little bit of negative pressure there, the problem should be contained - how about a simple sniff test, rather than one of those ridiculous foot per minute requirements that must have been written by an air conditioning company...

Return to “National Politics & Government”