Liberals Stock Up On Guns, Food: Trump Prep

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Liberals Stock Up On Guns, Food: Trump Prep

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am

You are making the assumption the preppers are storing real food.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't get the tradeoff. There's nothing as tasty as month-old lettuce or half-spoiled peaches and pears, soft potatoes with long eyes, old yellow celery, and cheese coated with mold. How much of your food stash ends up being thrown out on a regular basis? Or do you just eat it regardless?

Have you not heard of food preservation.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Well, I remember being raised on canned goods like so-called "fruit cocktail," which was gag-inducing soggy cubes of cooked peaches and pears floating in sugar syrup. I'm with those who have said here that if the apocalypse comes we're pretty much doomed anyway, and I'd rather not prolong the misery by choking down that stuff again. I had enough in first grade cafeteria.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe age makes a difference. I've lived a comfortable life for 6 1/2 decades. I might look at survival a lot differently at 35. More to lose.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:Well, I remember being raised on canned goods like so-called "fruit cocktail," which was gag-inducing soggy cubes of cooked peaches and pears floating in sugar syrup. I'm with those who have said here that if the apocalypse comes we're pretty much doomed anyway, and I'd rather not prolong the misery by choking down that stuff again. I had enough in first grade cafeteria.

Canned and freeze dried food has taken amazing strides since the sixties and that's another story in itself. There's stuff out there that if it's rehydrated right, it's pretty damn close to fresh.

But I am also of the opinion that today's food hoarders are tomorrow's targets for the millions of well-armed starving desperate hordes. You can't stockpile everything you need to survive for the next ten years and there's no fortification that can't be breached by determined people who don't have anything else to do.

I imagine there will be a few city states that are self sufficient and well armed enough to last a few years. I don't think most preppers will fall into that category.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

snoqueen wrote:How much of your food stash ends up being thrown out on a regular basis? Or do you just eat it regardless?

Very little, if any. The stuff I "stock up" is also eaten on a regular basis. I already use a lotta beans, rice, and pasta for my meals and that stuff lasts almost forever. Of course I don't keep a month's supply of produce on hand and I agree about the fruit cocktail...but canned pineapples are a favorite snack of mine. A can of soup or two gets eaten every week, so I keep about 3 dozen or so of those in the pantry. My freezer is also usually filled with leftovers & uncooked meat. I just wait for stuff to go on sale and then fill up my grocery cart, being sure to rotate the stock when bringing 'em home.

As for water, I work an event every year where they throw away pallets (no joke, pallets...as in "plural") full of bottled water...end up bringing a bunch (of boxes, not whole pallets) of that home to store in my basement. Vast majority of it gets thrown away when the new stuff is brought home, which kinda makes me weep but I tell myself it was gonna get tossed anyways and I'm just delaying it.

Cadfael wrote:But I am also of the opinion that today's food hoarders are tomorrow's targets for the millions of well-armed starving desperate hordes.

By "hordes", you mean three or less people...correct? 'cause I've been assured by one of our Resident Experts that there is never-ever-EVER ('cept maybe that one time in the '90s) a time where a person would need to fire more than three shots in self defense.

Cornelius Gotchberg
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornelius Gotchberg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am

@penquin;

By "hordes", you mean three or less people...correct? 'cause I've been assured by one of our Resident Experts that there is never-ever-EVER ('cept maybe that one time in the '90s) a time where a person would need to fire more than three shots in self defense.

Heh! THAT'S gonna leave a mark!

The Gotch

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 am

Now the argument for owning an AR15 with 30 round banana clips is to stop the hoards trying to steal your food supply after the collapse. What if the hoards have similar weaponry? Sound like an arms race to me.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 am

Well, there's the rub. Since even in a complete apocalyptic collapse of government there will only be three people trying to steal your water, why the heck does one even need a gun? You could stop three people with a dog and some pointed sticks.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am

Cadfael wrote:Since even in a complete apocalyptic collapse of government there will only be three people trying to steal your water, why the heck does one even need a gun? You could stop three people with a dog and some pointed sticks.

If you've seen my (my girlfriend's, actually) dog, then you'd understand why I'd prefer a firearm...even if it's only three people.

ichiban71

Postby ichiban71 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am

[/quote] By "hordes", you mean three or less people...correct? 'cause I've been assured by one of our Resident Experts that there is never-ever-EVER ('cept maybe that one time in the '90s) a time where a person would need to fire more than three shots in self defense.[/quote]

If I was ever in a situation where I had to murder 30 people to insure my own survival I would only need one bullet.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Some Liberals would rather die than defend themselves

Postby penquin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Now the argument for owning an AR15 with 30 round banana clips is to stop the hoards trying to steal your food supply after the collapse.

No, the argument being made is that there is never-ever-EVER ('cept maybe that one time in the '90s) a time where a person would need to fire more than three shots in self defense. Needing to defend family & home in the event of civil disorder and/or natural disaster is just one (not "the") example of how absurd that argument actually is.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Cadfael wrote:But I am also of the opinion that today's food hoarders are tomorrow's targets for the millions of well-armed starving desperate hordes.

False. Everybody knows the starving hordes are gonna be zombies, and they're not after your fruit cocktail.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Ducatista wrote:

False. Everybody knows the starving hordes are gonna be zombies, and they're not after your fruit cocktail.

Hey, I watched Walking Dead. I know the real problem is going to be The Saviors, not the zombies. The dead meat walkin' ended up as an afterthought when Negan showed up.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Cadfael wrote:Hey, I watched Walking Dead. I know the real problem is going to be The Saviors, not the zombies. The dead meat walkin' ended up as an afterthought when Negan showed up.

I grudgingly concede your point.

Return to “National Politics & Government”