WORLD CUP FEVER BABY!!!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
grumpybear

Re: WORLD CUP FEVER BABY!!!

Postby grumpybear » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:37 pm

CapFox wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Has nothing to do with that. Everytime the Cup comes around, people crawl out of the woodwork as though they are some die hard soccer fan. This isn't like the Olympics. I have people posting about this shit all over Facebook and yet I haven't heard a peep from them about soccer since...well...4 years ago.

Plus the US sucks at soccer.

Just a great piece of work here, top to bottom.

Lots of people don't watch an inning of baseball until the World Series. Are you saying they shouldn't watch the WS then? That they're poseurs and should just opt out altogether?

2 USA-Ghana 1, in case you missed it.

Simply put, this was a great soccer match. Close game throughout with Ghana constantly threatening. Lots of late in the game drama. What's not to like even if you are just an average sports fan.
This was my 2nd favorite game of the cup so far. Switzerland vs. Ecuador is number 1.
It's a beautiful game.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:58 am

I tried to like soccer a couple of World Cups ago and I just couldn't get into it, so I no longer try. But I don't disparage soccer fans. I mean, what's the point? I play golf and watch some golf occasionally, and I totally get why others might prefer to watch paint dry. It's just different tastes. One is not inherently better than the other.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I've decided that barring games I actually care about (US and Italy) reading live blogs of the games from the Telegraph and The Guardian is a far superior way to keep up.

grumpybear

Postby grumpybear » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Whistle while at work
Chellini is a jerk
Suarez bit his shoulder
Now he's going home.

My apologies for the bastardization of the WW2 ditty.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm more of a hockey fan than a soccer fan, but the two games actually have a lot of similarities and I really enjoyed watching the USA try to hold their own against some clearly superior talent in Germany and Belgium. A few things I took away from the matches:

Soccer games are often very low scoring so there's an element of luck to it, but the better team usually wins because they simply have more scoring opportunities as the game wears on. Both Belgium and Germany (the latter moreso) played practically the entire game in front of our goalie. I suspect that's a midfielder issue as they'd be primarily responsible for interrupting the march towards your goal, but I don't know enough about soccer to say so with any conviction. The defenders seemed to do a good job of holding off the onslaught, but with a perpetual rain of shots sooner or later a few are bound to get through.

In hockey, if you flop and the ref sees that you flopped he just ignores you, leaving your team shorthanded until you get your ass up and resume play. So don't flop, and if you do, don't writhe around on the ground feigning a broken leg when you weren't actually hit by ANYTHING. Get up! The Belgium game actually seemed to possess more savvy refs, or perhaps they watched the tape of the Germany game and weren't buying it anymore, but the USA squad was a better acting troupe than a soccer team, as evidenced by the "shots on goal" statistic.

There is nothing even remotely entertaining about "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!" It's stupid, distracting and not even pleasant when your own team scored the goal. But I suppose that purely a matter of personal preference.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:02 am

The long national nightmare is over for another four years.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 am

pjbogart wrote:There is nothing even remotely entertaining about "gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!" It's stupid, distracting and not even pleasant when your own team scored the goal.
I disagree. It should be de rigueur for all NBA games.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:23 am

Not saying I've turned into a fan, but I did gain an appreciation for the sport these past couple of weeks. I can understand its appeal.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:48 pm

grumpybear wrote:Whistle while at work
Chellini is a jerk
Suarez bit his shoulder
Now he's going home.
My apologies for the bastardization of the WW2 ditty.

The Seven Dwarfs humbly accept your apology. Uncle Walt is suing you from the grave. The always reliable Wikipedia sez: ""Whistle While You Work" is a song with music written by Frank Churchill and lyrics written by Larry Morey for the 1937 animated Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was performed in the film, at least unofficially, by voice actress Adriana Caselotti. It also is featured in the 1979 stage adaption."

And, BTW Fennel, what does any of this have to do with biking?

grumpybear

Postby grumpybear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:48 am

I had forgotten from where that song came. All I could remember was a slightly off-color ditty from my wee youth:
Whistle while you work
Hitler was a jerk
Mussolini bit his weenie
Now it doesn't work
Don't ask where that came from because I have no idea. It always stuck in my head because being a wee youth I thought the rhyme for Mussolini was mighty clever.
Anyway, the WC quarterfinals start today. What mouthwatering matchups, Brazil-Colombia and France-Germany. I am looking forward to some passionate and inspired play. The matchups look fairly even but many people will make Brazil and Germany big favorites due to their previous WC successes. That's enough to tip me toward Colombia and France.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:06 am

I must be older than you (these days I often feel as if I'm older than dirt, especially in the morning) since I heard the wartime variation as "Hitler __is__ a jerk." Probably something from my father who was in the army at the end of WWII.

"WC quarterfinals" made me think of Water Closet quarterfinals. This should probably be my last comment on the World Cup other than to mention that the wrap-up of the American loss on All Things Considered contained (among the rest of the over-the-top gushings) a breathless mention that the 3 goals in "extra time" constituted the most scintillating sports event of the year if not all time. Since that came at the end of regulation, though, the sum of the match was more like 3 goals in 2 hours (90 min + 30 min). Even hockey typically has more scoring than that, especially since the neutral zone trap was nearly eliminated by rule changes in hockey. I'll try to resist explaining the intricacies of the neutral zone trap and just say that it was what made hockey hard for me to watch for a few years.

grumpybear

Postby grumpybear » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 am

You are right. The line should be "Hitler is a jerk." So maybe we're both older than dirt.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 am

Good Lord, that game was a rout. Almost disturbing, no matter who you favored. Oy.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Ach, another fever baby lost to the meaningless penalty shoot-out. I'll root for the blue-and-white on Sunday, but they really didn't earn this one.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”