2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 am

O.J. wrote:I'm looking forward to Tom Crean not shaking Bo's hand after falling to 0-11 against Wisconsin as Indiana's coach.

Ugh. So what the hell happened last night? I cut the cable on Monday.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 am

fisticuffs wrote:
O.J. wrote:I'm looking forward to Tom Crean not shaking Bo's hand after falling to 0-11 against Wisconsin as Indiana's coach.

Ugh. So what the hell happened last night? I cut the cable on Monday.

Probably the worst defensive performance of the Bo Ryan era. Indiana scored at will in the paint. Bo refuses to even consider playing zone, so that's out of the question, but there was absolutely no help defense or sagging on Indiana's poor shooters to take away driving lanes.

Dekker also played poorly, we got pretty much nothing out of the bench, and had some huge wide-open misses and key turnovers down the stretch. We took all of 4 free throw shots and hit 1 of them. Not a good recipe to win on the road.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

I don't really know what to make of the slide. I expected at least one or two losses in January, but the method of the losses concerns me. The Indiana loss seemed more like poor defense, particularly in transition, and an inability/unwillingness or failure to recognize the importance of shutting down a particularly dangerous threat in Yogi Ferrell.

The Michigan loss seemed more like one of those situations where you throw your hands up and say, "everything they toss into the air somehow makes it through the basket". Our offense is firing, our defense looks sufficient, but we just can't seem to get a break. Shit happens, right?

I was looking at @Indiana and @Minnesota as our toughest games this month, but dropping two in a row, the Badgers are in for some soul searching. OSU's breakdown came at a good time, but MSU is still streaking and Wisconsin needs to stop the bleeding. A win @ Minnesota next week would be huge, but it seems just as likely that we'll be looking at a three game slide, given the way they're playing.

Is there a particular problem the Badgers need to be focusing on? I'd say rebounding is obvious, but transition defense hurt them vs. Indiana. Do we need to hone a bigger lineup with Anderson on the floor when we face certain teams? We trailed Michigan from the tipoff to the buzzer. On our home court. How do we correct that before OSU and MSU visit?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 pm

I think it's not correctable. They're a half step slow when they play a team with more than one quick player.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Donald wrote:I think it's not correctable. They're a half step slow when they play a team with more than one quick player.

I don't buy that. These kids CAN play solid defense against multiple scorers. They demolished Illinois and had an impressive comeback vs. Iowa. I think OSU and MSU largely present a size problem, but I figured the surging of Hayes might correct some of that. Shit, we hardly hear Bohannan's name anymore. Even the bench looks like a team you could take to the tourney.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

UW has a very good team this year. But not a GREAT team. The law of averages says you can't stay undefeated once you hit the meat of your schedule. They'll be fine, as always. I think, perhaps, the fans got a bit excited with the win streak and the victory over a Florida team that was missing it's top 2 players. Reality is setting in and as usual under Bo Ryan, Wisconsin is going to finish in the top 4 of the Big Ten. No lowly feat whatsoever. As a Tarheel, I'm jealous this year!

grumpybear

Postby grumpybear » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:19 pm

UW looked a bit better today on defense. They shut down Purdue on the post-ups and the drives thru the lane by the guards were at contested at least.
I was beginning to think that I was some sort of jinx. I didn't watch any of the games this year until Michigan and Indiana. Both games featured horrible defensive efforts. I was beginning to think that I was the cause of Wisconsin's drop from the undefeated ranks.
The game today provided some hope that Wisconsin is still a top 20 team. On the other hand, maybe Michigan and Indiana just have better offensive teams than Purdue. We'll see if the badger basketball defensive effort is back.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 pm

What's up with the Big Ten? Michigan is running everyone over. It seems like about seven teams could conceivably reach the sweet sixteen. Even Northwestern thinks they have a shot at the tourney, apparently.

Nose to the grindstone. This is going to be one tough slog.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm

The Big 10 this season is probably the toughest I've ever seen it, which will have both good and bad implications for Bucky.

On the minus side - yes, the next month is gonna be hella tough.

On the plus side - the team that comes out the other end of the regular season is going to be diamond hard. Also, there seems to be a general recognition on the part of the sports punditocracy of the strength and depth of the Big 10 conference; this understanding will hopefully be reflected by the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

The next 8 games will be the key - five at home, three on the road, and none of them pushovers. Here's how I look at it:

Home:
Northwestern
Ohio State
Michigan State
Minnesota
Indiana

Away:
Illinois
Michigan
Iowa

At home, I think the best we can reasonably expect is 4-1; winning both the Ohio State and the Michigan State games is a tall order, even at home, and we've already lost to both Minnesota and Indiana. On the road, I would say that 2-1 is the best we can hope for; Iowa would have probably beat us here if their coach hadn't decided it was the time to have a Charlie Sheen moment. So, I would say that 6-2 over the next eight games is the rosy scenario, and that 5-3 or even 4-4 is the more realistic prognostication.

The last three games - at Penn State and Nebraska, and Purdue at home - are legitimately sweepable, although not a sure thing.

So, let's assume they go 7-4 the rest of the way (I hope they do better than that, obviously, but that seems the most likely scenario to me). 24-7 is a perfectly respectable record in the toughest conference in basketball, and if they get into the Conference tournament title game I think that's still 3-seed, possibly even 2-seed territory for the Big Dance.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:00 pm

A most impressive at Michigan. Is the midseason slump over? We'll find out next Saturday at Iowa City.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am

That game at Iowa is gonna be tough, but if Kaminski plays like that again I would now move it out of the sure loss category. Beating Michigan on the road on a day where Nigel Hayes, Ben Brust and Tre Jackson couldn't find the bottom of the net was damn impressive; their defense over the last few games has been back to basics Bucky sick.

I heard some media assholes talking about the Badgers being either a four or a five seed in the NCAA. Whatta crock of shit.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I suspect the Badgers punched a #3 ticket today and could potentially make it a #2 depending on what happens above them. The rest of their games are all very winnable and even with a somewhat weak stretch to close out the season, they'll likely sit steady at #2 SOS in the nation.

The one negative to take away from today's game is that opponents will definitely be watching how Iowa's defense closed the gap in the second half. Iowa is a tremendous rebounding team, but still way too many offensive boards allowed.

26-5 seems possible. Perhaps a 30 win season with B1G and NCAA tournaments. And we'll be even better next year.

Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 pm

I've been away from Madison for several years now so I have a question about the Kohl Center.

If anyone here goes to the games maybe they can help. I want to know what happened to our home court advantage. Specifically, what happened to the loud crowds we used to see.

Just watching the games on TV, I see no heart in our home crowds anymore. No matter who we are playing or what the score, the crowd is so much quieter than they used to be.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:13 am

That's because the crowd is so much older than it used to be. It's a sea of gray hair, especially the good seats.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 am

bdog wrote:That's because the crowd is so much older than it used to be. It's a sea of gray hair, especially the good seats.

I agree, but our fans have also gotten spoiled from the success of the past two decades. The same can be said for the atmosphere at Camp Randall. Too many people think that a season that doesn't end in a Final Four berth or a BCS bowl is a failure.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”