2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Cameron Connors

Re: 2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby Cameron Connors » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 am

Reminded me of this chestnut of Big Ten Bball: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball ... ts-records

I watched that game at the Caribou and thought about how it would make the worst drinking game of all time.

Glad to see Bo's still got the Badgers ready for a slugfest, but I don't know if I can watch another one like that.

B1G Basketball: Catch the Fev...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Cameron Connors wrote:Glad to see Bo's still got the Badgers ready for a slugfest, but I don't know if I can watch another one like that.

That game vs. Virginia wasn't B1G bball. It was Dick Bennett basketball.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:20 pm

mifflander wrote:
Cameron Connors wrote:Glad to see Bo's still got the Badgers ready for a slugfest, but I don't know if I can watch another one like that.

That game vs. Virginia wasn't B1G bball. It was Dick Bennett basketball.

Yes, but not quite as bad as this.

Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Bruce put it best: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/234666081.html

“It was more on fire down in Mexico (at the postponed Spurs-Timberwolves game) than there was in Virginia. Three field goals in the half. That’s bad. I am going to tell you how (the Badgers) do it. Virginia also plays good defense. They call it gap defense, OK? Wisconsin calls it building a wall. They don’t let you penetrate. Everything is contested. And they don’t foul you. They don’t bail you out. It’s ugly, but that’s how Bo Ryan and the Bennett family have succeeded in basketball for a long, long time.”

But just wait til the Ryan kids follow Bennett the younger with a move to D-1:
Will is currently an assistant at ND State: http://www.linkedin.com/in/willryan1185

Matt was formerly director bball of operations at UIC (don't know what he's up to currently): http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskb ... att00.html

a position next held by another Ryan/Bennett system student:
http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskb ... rew00.html

Slowly but surely, the Bennetts/Ryans will take over NCAA bball with their "Wall of Zone."

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Tomorrow is the last non-conference test that looks loseable (knock on wood). If Bucky can win tomorrow, they're likely to go 13-0 heading into the Big Ten season with a whole slew of winnable games to start conference play. Really, their toughest contests are at home and until Ohio State visits the Kohl Center in February, none of their contests look like a "likely loss".

That doesn't mean they won't drop a game or three, but their schedule is pretty favorable until February when OSU and MSU visit. In my lifetime the Badgers have only reached #1 for one week, but their schedule gives them an outside chance of topping the rankings again this year.

How great would it be to have Michigan State and Wisconsin play at the Kohl Center ranked #1 and #2?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:19 am

acereraser wrote: Bronson Koenig played a lot of minutes due to deficient play from Jackson and Marshall's injury-related absence. He proved himself the best point guard on the team, and I think Marshall might have trouble getting those minutes back.

Marshall has come to the same conclusion. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports he is leaving the team. Don't know where he plans to transfer.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Three teams above the Badgers lost this week, #1 Michigan State, #3 Kentucky and #6 Kansas.

Seemed like someone put a lid on the basket again today and if the Badgers keep having scoring droughts like that, eventually they're going to get bitten by someone who should be an easy win. Even so, at 10-0 with three cake games until Big Ten play, the basketball team should be top 5 before the football team returns to the gridiron.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Up to #4 in the AP, #6 in the coaches poll.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm really surprised that the Badgers are actually leapfrogging teams. Their RPI is really high so I assume they have a high SOS, but their team photo still looks more like the golf team than the basketball team. I really love seeing the Badgers in the top five, but I'm not convinced they're deserving. It's a long season and anything can happen but as I said before, the Badgers have a schedule that's about as favorable as you could ask for.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 pm

pjbogart wrote:their team photo still looks more like the golf team.

Hey, our golf team is PHYSICAL, and gets the most out of every possession!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm

On a more serious yet completely unrelated note, golf would be greatly improved by the addition of a shot clock.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:33 pm

gargantua wrote:
pjbogart wrote:their team photo still looks more like the golf team.

Hey, our golf team is PHYSICAL, and gets the most out of every possession!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDSfCqFUS7k

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Awwwww, shit! Bank 'em at 13-0. The Big Ten season starts in January with only one game vs. a ranked opponent for the entire month and that's Iowa @ Wisconsin January 5th. I suspect we'll drop a game or two in January, maybe @ Indiana or @ Minnesota, but every game in January is winnable. #3 Ohio State visits on February 1st but we don't have a game in Columbus. #5 Michigan State visits on February 9th but we don't have a game in East Lansing.

Heck, Wisconsin has the opportunity to achieve two dubious distinctions this year: whitest team to receive a #1 seed and first #1 seed to lose in the first round!

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 am

pjbogart wrote:Awwwww, shit! Bank 'em at 13-0. The Big Ten season starts in January with only one game vs. a ranked opponent for the entire month and that's Iowa @ Wisconsin January 5th. I suspect we'll drop a game or two in January, maybe @ Indiana or @ Minnesota, but every game in January is winnable. #3 Ohio State visits on February 1st but we don't have a game in Columbus. #5 Michigan State visits on February 9th but we don't have a game in East Lansing.

Heck, Wisconsin has the opportunity to achieve two dubious distinctions this year: whitest team to receive a #1 seed and first #1 seed to lose in the first round!

Fuck that noise. These guys have no choice but to win, unlike years past. Gasser looks like a shark to me as he plays; I get the feeling that after all the grueling rehab he has endured, he will not hesitate to get his teammates motivated, however he can. Brust is a senior too, so this is his last shot at it.

They look like a top five team, at least the last two games. They have not plateaued yet. I hope Frank has a minder, not to stop him from doing stuff, but to break his fall. Koenig was the experienced hand on the tiller at the end, kind of interesting. He made a really nice drive to the hoop in the second half, his play is beginning to be good enough to make Roy Williams cry, I think.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Today's win was probably better than it looks on paper. Eastern Kentucky was billed as a defensive squad, a Cinderella mid-major that would force turnovers and make you pay from the perimeter. Maybe it was just a bad match-up for them but Bucky just basically cut their legs out from under them. Pesky defense is fine if your opponent doesn't have a slew of quality ball handlers. If they do, your aggressive defense will lead to easy points and lots of free throws, which is exactly what happened.

But I was expecting more of a low scoring defensive battle, similar to the UVA game and what we saw was a Badger team that picked apart their opponent, clearly had them frustrated and racked up points and fouls like taking candy from a baby. All around great performance and a comfortable enough margin to get a look at the bench late in the game.

We have to wait three weeks for Iowa?

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”