Helmets Save Lives.

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Helmets Save Lives.

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I'd actually be surprised if "just wear a helmet and you'll be safe" is a widespread message.

Alternative Newsweeklies notwithstanding. ;)

My own "advocacy" is largely limited to what I tell my kids. The helmet is mandatory for them, which means that my main focus is on safe riding.

Probably the #1 message is: "Assume that you're invisible, and that car drivers are idiots."

Because they're kids, the next message is: "Don't assume that you can stop."

Still, I enjoyed reading the safe riding tips at that website, and am in agreement with you about safety and infrastructure.

All of my cycling injuries have been related to weather or road conditions, such as wiping out on ice.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:25 pm

From the article:

Wearing a helmet does nothing to prevent you from being hit by a car.

No shit. Anyone who believes this should take off their helmet and let me hit them with a baseball bat.

Stubby wrote:It's an easy out to say just wear a helmet and you'll be safe (and that's what the public really hears and it's a lie).

I've never heard this said. It's about protection, and we do a lot of things in life to protect ourselves. I agree that safely is up to the individual, but you have to protect against the dipshits out there who are irresponsible.

Stubby wrote:Sticking a bike lane on East Washington or making a bike lane in the door zone is not good infrastructure, and that's the norm in Madison, not the exception.

I ride that bike lane every day and have never felt safer. You are right there out in the open for all cars to see. It's a nice wide lane to avoid cars opening doors and bikes can still pass each other in the lane without getting into traffic. If you don't like it, there's a path that goes straight through the isthmus.

That said, when I got hit by a car on a somewhat quiet street, I remember hitting my head on the car and the ground and being thankful I had a helmet on. I'll always where a helmet and don't understand why people are so against it.

Stubby

Postby Stubby » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Stubby wrote:Sticking a bike lane on East Washington or making a bike lane in the door zone is not good infrastructure, and that's the norm in Madison, not the exception.

I ride that bike lane every day and have never felt safer. You are right there out in the open for all cars to see. It's a nice wide lane to avoid cars opening doors and bikes can still pass each other in the lane without getting into traffic. If you don't like it, there's a path that goes straight through the isthmus.

That said, when I got hit by a car on a somewhat quiet street, I remember hitting my head on the car and the ground and being thankful I had a helmet on. I'll always where a helmet and don't understand why people are so against it.

The bike lane on East Washington is a bike desert compared to the bike paths and bike boulevards on either side of Washington. The great majority of the public simply does not want to bike on a high speed high volume street without a physical barrier from traffic. You are one of the few that actually use the E. Wash Lane as I rarely actually see a bike on it. You certainly don't have to worry a whole lot about other bikes passing as there are none.

The bike lane of East Washington is a dismal failure by any standard. It's a good example of what the great majority of people don't want.

I'm not against helmets. I certainly recommend them for certain types of bike use as in competitive biking etc. For the average commuter tooling around on a stable commuter bike (and uses a light and isn't drunk, or uses a death trap brakeless single speed) the safety advantage of wearing a helmet is so small it is hardly worth mentioning, much less the type of hype we see.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Stubby wrote:The bike lane on East Washington is a bike desert compared to the bike paths and bike boulevards on either side of Washington. The great majority of the public simply does not want to bike on a high speed high volume street without a physical barrier from traffic. You are one of the few that actually use the E. Wash Lane as I rarely actually see a bike on it. You certainly don't have to worry a whole ot about other bikes passing as there are none.

I see many bikes on Washington as I commute on it every day. I also take Johnson Street when I'm feeling crazy and there are no fewer or greater riders during the the morning time.

The key now is educating cyclists. Many of them are dipshits.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm betting that there are localized patterns of cyclist behavior, even in a town the size of Madison. I have a weekly nighttime activity in a particular district of Madison, where there are a lot of cyclists, and most of them seem to ride at night with no lights. On the other hand, I live on a street that's a veritable bike corridor, and almost all of the bikes that go past my house at night are lit up.

Puzzling.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”