How do you stay so fit?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How do you stay so fit?

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:45 pm

I'd rather be locked in a dungeon than trudge on a treadmill or one of those ellipticals. I hate 'em. If I was required to do that and only that, I'd turn into a fat slob in two weeks. The same amount of exercise outdoors is fun and pleasant.

Other people want to be indoors as much as possible. If that's you, go with it.

Point being find things you like, or for starters things you least dislike.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 am

No, when I walk I do it outside. The elliptical is to get my heart rate and lung capacity up and because the pushups can't quite get me there. That's a half hour at a time, a couple times a week.

I can't run longer than a couple blocks without this damn plantar fasciitis making it difficult to walk the next day. Maybe if that wasn't there I'd feel differently.

But I know so many runners who were in great shape in their thirties but now that they're pushing sixty their legs are in such bad shape they can't do any of the stuff I'm doing. They all say "no regrets, my heart's great" but dammit it's painful just to watch them walk. They didn't have physical labor jobs. Their problems are due to running. Just running.

So I find other ways to do the cardio. Some of it involves being inside on a machine.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 am

Agreed with Rab. You need to mix it up to prevent injuries and boredom. Spinning is also a great, low impact workout to throw into the mix.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Spinning is also a great, low impact workout to throw into the mix.

With the added advantage of not being on the streets and roads where Joyce might be tempted to blow through stop lights and get run over by a bus, widowing his new bride before she even gets him to the altar.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 am

Meade wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Spinning is also a great, low impact workout to throw into the mix.

With the added advantage of not being on the streets and roads where Joyce might be tempted to blow through stop lights and get run over by a bus, widowing his new bride before she even gets him to the altar.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 am

My son's birthday cake reminded me of what I DON'T eat: Cake, donuts, any Hostess-type snacks, chips of any kind, white bread, and beef except on very rare occasion.Any sort of sweet cereals. I also never have soda except for the very occasional rum and coke. It worked for me because I eliminated those things gradually. It took a little while, and now I don't miss that stuff anymore. I thought I missed cake, but then I had a piece of birthday cake and actually felt a little ill afterwards. Nothing major, but I'm listening to my body on this one.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:13 am

gargantua wrote:My son's birthday cake reminded me of what I DON'T eat: Cake, donuts, any Hostess-type snacks, chips of any kind, white bread, and beef except on very rare occasion.Any sort of sweet cereals. I also never have soda except for the very occasional rum and coke. It worked for me because I eliminated those things gradually. It took a little while, and now I don't miss that stuff anymore. I thought I missed cake, but then I had a piece of birthday cake and actually felt a little ill afterwards. Nothing major, but I'm listening to my body on this one.

My list is a little shorter. I still eat beef, just less of it. Some chips, or a plain donut once in a while. My coworkers ask why I don't just eat a slice of bread but fuckem.

I am convinced the one thing that really counts is no soda pop except in a mixed drink.

I went off the wagon and had a glazed donut at a function a while back and couldn't finish it. Amazing how our tolerance builds to that stuff.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 am

Consuming carbohydrates like sugar, beer, etc., causes your pancreas to produce the hormone insulin which seems to cause the body to store calories as excess adipose tissue instead of using adipose to produce energy.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

A calorie is a calorie, except that your body can be tricked more easily with certain calories. 20 calories of greens is a lot more filling than 20 calories of cookies. It's hard to lose weight if you are hungry constantly.

The elliptical as most people use it is overrated. Slowly slogging at it and then believing it when the machine tells you that you just burned 10 calories per minute, I mean.

I've lost a lot of weight (> 50 lbs) with a combination of weight training, high intensity intervals, martial arts, yoga, cycling, and running. And, eventually, when my metabolic needs were reduced due to weight loss, through calorie counting. YMMV.

I'm a pretty big fan of myfitnesspal for calorie tracking. It also hooks into stuff like endomondo/mapmyride/fitbit.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:14 am

I've lost over 40 lbs in the last year and would like to lose about ten more. The weight loss was pretty typical: started off easy and got harder and harder the more that I lost. I hit a few frustrating plateaus along the way. Those could be tough to work through, but I would try and remind myself that if I was getting stronger with my weight lifting and able to go longer or faster with my cardio, that it was all still worth it. The toughest plateaus were the ones when I wasn't losing weight or getting any stronger. That's when I had to face the cold, hard truth that if I wanted to lose more weight, then my diet had to change more. Sure, I cut out the obvious stuff like doughnuts, ice cream and soda, but to continue to lose weight, it was gonna take more portion control, less snacking and being more active outside of the gym.

I was going to the gym regularly (about four or five days a week), but then I was being extremely inactive most of the rest of the time and excusing by telling myself that it was OK if I was going to the gym. Getting to the gym is the most important thing, in my opinion, but it's still important to be physically active and in motion outside of the gym, even it doesn't make you huff and puff or sweat.

Something that I've from the past is that stretching and warming up are not a waste of time at all and that they will save you from all kinds of strains and injuries that can set you back almost to the point of starting over. Also, when lifting weight, use good form, even though that often means that you'll have to go lighter on the weight. If you're not doing it right, then you're not really doing the weight you're using at all, so just lighten it up a little, so you can practice good form and stay injury free.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:09 pm

jjoyce wrote:This was the first winter I didn't coach basketball in about 8 years and I'm definitely carrying 5-10 more lbs. than I normally do in June.

All your fat problems solved.

Stay hungry my friend.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 am

One lesson I learned the hard way: Don't let up. A decade ago I lost 47 pounds over the course of two years. I was below my weight target. Goal met, so I eased up a little bit. A few years later I'd gained 27 lbs of it back.

So, over the course of the last 4 years I lost 32 pounds, at a pretty even rate of about 10 lbs. a year. I've been at a stable weight for about a year, because this time I kept doing the same things that got me down to my goal weight. Basically it was like continuing to try to lose in order to stay even.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”