How do you stay so fit?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How do you stay so fit?

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Former president Bill Clinton: "A vegan diet saved my life."
Clinton switched to a plant-based diet in 2011 and lost 24 lbs.

http://www.examiner.com/article/former- ... ed-my-life

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Ride your bike to the liquor store multiple times per day. Buy only one beer can at a time. If your'e going to binge you should work for it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Do everything people just told you.

Follow your plan for life and you'll be fine. Do it until your wedding and then quit, and you'll be right back where you were by Christmas. Tell yourself you need to do good for your family. Everyone needs a motivator and that's the best there is -- far better than fitting into a tuxedo.

Good luck and congratulations.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 pm

That weight loss didn't show up right away. It took like five or ten pounds before anybody started noticing anything, and almost fifteen before I started seeing somebody different in the mirror.

When I actually saw my ribs again I went WOW cool, I can suck in my gut and it looks like my gut is sucked in! I've got waistline... hey what's this lump?

That's how I found out I had a hernia. Don't know how long it was there because I couldn't see it till I lost about two or three inches of spare tire. It didn't bother me otherwise. They diagnosed it, scheduled surgery for both sides, and while I was lying there unconscious after surgery the techs checking my stats kept asking my wife if I was an athlete cause my heart rate was so low and steady. That was cool. The recovery was about two weeks ahead of schedule just because I walked and every so often, hit my max heart rate.

I resolved to never gain that 30 pounds back. My retirement is not going to be two years long.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:but what are you specifically doing that's working for you?

Since I spend many hours a day working at my keyboard, I got a stand up desk. You can buy one for as little as $100. That way, I'm on my feet from after breakfast until supper, about 10 hours a day. Every 30 minutes or so I stop and do 1-3 minutes of exercises similar to these: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... ut/?src=mv
If I only do one exercise, it's the ab crunch.

If I needed to lose 10 lbs of body fat in 6 weeks, I'd start the Atkins induction phase tomorrow, stay on a high fat/high protein diet, and keep doing my exercise routine.

Never sit on your butt for 10-12 hours drinking a carbohydrate-laden beer every hour or so. Unless you want to turn into a big fat tub of lard.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 am

The latest studies are showing that no matter how well you exercise, sitting for hours at a stretch puts you right back at risk. Also standing for long stretches.

The thing to do is stand up every twenty minutes or so, for one or two minutes. The muscles in your back, thighs, and calves contract back in, and as far as they can tell, pretty much negates the problems with the sitting.

That kind of confirms what we all pretty much knew anyway; spending hours in one position is bad for you. Whether it's standing in an assembly line, sitting at a keyboard, on your knees roofing, it's the length of time you do it at a stretch that hurts. If you do something else for a couple minutes two or three times an hour, you're lengthening the life span of all your muscles and joints.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 am

If you want to try out a stand-up desk you can just put one of those little plastic tables on top of your regular desk. I'm talking about the plain four-legged plastic tables that come with cheap plastic chairs -- they're maybe a foot and a half tall and the top is around a foot and a half square.

Put your laptop on the plastic table and see how you like working stand-up. If the height isn't quite right you can add a book or something under the laptop.

I like this and use it regularly even though most of what I do all day is stand-up work anyway. One advantage is you can take it down or put it back up in less than a minute so you can change positions whenever you please.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 am

My .02:

Make exercise part of the infrastructure of your day. Don't "make time" to work out. In the same way you don't "make time" to brush your teeth, go to work, pick the kids up, etc., make exercising something that you do as part of your day. Comments earlier about biking to work are a great example -- that's just how you get to/from work. If biking isn't feasible, treat the gym the same way: that's the first place you head after work. Period. It's easy to fall into the trap of moving workouts around other things, skipping a few, and then stopping altogether. Move other activities around your workouts, the same as you do for work, picking up kids, etc.

Re: stand-up desk: great idea. My office wouldn't spring for one, but eight cinder blocks got me there pretty quick.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

Joycie, you need to combine diet, cardio and strength training. At your age, none will work alone. Weight Watchers is deceptively simple and really works. You only lose a pound or so a week, but you're training yourself to eat right. As for working out, nothing beats running. Sad but true. Mix up your strength training and cardio to keep your body confused and so you don't get bored. Need to cut down on the booze too.

Congrats!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:As for working out, nothing beats running. Sad but true.

Sad, but false.

Ryanwiz

Postby Ryanwiz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I can run a little lighter if I employ light beer and smaller lunches.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm

rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:As for working out, nothing beats running. Sad but true.

Sad, but false.

False.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Just thought of another good one -- only drink water. No milk, juice, coffee, (and especially) soda, or alcohol. Depending on what you current habits are, making that change, and only that change, will take a few to 10+ lbs. off the top.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:09 pm

The trick is, hit your max heart rate once in a while. Running is great if your ankles, knees, and legs can take it, but there's a reason "runner's injuries" is a familiar term.

I can walk fifteen miles in a day and feel fine but I can't run two blocks without paying for it for days. Half an hour on the elliptical gives your heart exactly the same effect as a run. Without the repetitive stress.

If you're running races and/or don't want to spring for a gym, running is fine. Just be prepared for joint problems a few years down the road.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I'd go the other way if I were you - get to be the fattest fuck you possibly can by your wedding day. Eat nothing but pizza and enormous quantities of ice cream every day. If possible, get your fiance to do the same thing.

That way your wedding pics can be a constant reminder of how far you've come instead of a reminder of how good you were.

Congratulations either way.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”