Bob Uecker

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bob Uecker

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Sports, TV... a Jedi craves not these things.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Uecker is a very funny affable gent but isn't actually a very good baseball radio announcer.

Frankly, when I do listen to him calling a game I often am left wondering what actually happened.

Here is are typical examples:

Uecker: There is a pop up..... It's out of play..

Uecker: A ground ball to the leftside.... 2 outs.

I end up not having any idea whether the pop up was to the right side, left side, behind the plate, way out of play, nearly caught on the warning track or anything else.

Groundball was too the shortstop? Thirdbase? was it hit hard? soft? two hopper? in the hole? was he out by a mile? Out by a step? Was it on a fastball? Change up? In the dirt?

He would be a great tv announcer and he tells fine stories but he just doesn't seem terribly interested in helping me see the baseball game that he is watching.

And yes Ernie Harwell was much better.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 pm

We used to turn off the sound to the TV and listen to Ernie on the radio. He wasn't afraid of spaces in his commentary. Indeed, they were an important component.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu May 30, 2013 8:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:There's a portion of the game when Joe Block essentially interviews Ueck and they talk about baseball history. Last night it was how press boxes have (d)evolved over the years including what kind of food various parks are famous for. I was grinning the whole time.

I personally liked the story from that same game where George Scott popped one of the Twins' coaches during a brawl...

I get that everyone has their faves, and is impacted by their home town announcer. But the only other Wisconsin announcer that had any sort of impact that I can remember is Eddie Doucette, who was an entirely different thing altogether.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”