Best bike mechanic: Go!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best bike mechanic: Go!

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I haven't been to a bike mechanic in two years. I have a Gary Fisher Tassajara that's pretty reliable and I can take care of the minor stuff on my own. I bought it at Machinery Row and they were always nice to me when I stopped in for accessories. I can't think of anything bad to say about Machinery Row but I'm pretty tempted to go elsewhere for any future cycling needs.

Why? Because perhaps only Richard Kessler can hold a candle to the sheer annoyance factor of their radio ads. I almost broke my car stereo while frantically punching at it to turn off that woman's unbelievably bubbly sales pitch, bordering upon hysterical laughter as she says "bicycle" over and over and over. Speak clearly, talk with a smile, sound enthusiastic... check, check, check. Holy crap! PULL BACK!!! PULL BACK!!!

Meh. Machinery Row is a good store. Nice selection from the cheap stuff to the expensive stuff and no one was ever uppity with me. They just need to get a new spokeswoman, or perhaps give the current one a Valium. Of course, I could probably use one myself.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Atkins Verona Bicycle Shoppe

Go there Monday nights and he will show you how to change a tire and then have you do it. And have you do it again, and again, and again...

Very friendly to newbies.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 am

rabble wrote:I've asked at every bike shop since, and every tech said if you've had the chain longer than a year, it's mated to the gear and will skip.

So no. No slack. He should have at least said something.

Depends on the amount of use in that year. Measuring the chain is an accurate way to check.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am

Twinner wrote:Depends on the amount of use in that year. Measuring the chain is an accurate way to check.

Nitpicking. He knew about it and let me ride away ignorant. Screw 'em.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:04 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Why? Because perhaps only Richard Kessler can hold a candle to the sheer annoyance factor of their radio ads.....as she says "bicycle" over and over and over.

All through the first page I was planning on mentioning those ads.

My girlfriend really likes Revolution. I actually go to the guy who works out of his garage on the corner of Milwaukee & Marquette. He puts a sign out when he's open. I have a Marin and an old Schwinn 3-speed and he has quickly fixed both a few times. Not sure how extensive his knowledge is on state-of-the-art type stuff but I think he could fix vintage stuff in his sleep. No bike snob attitude.

bdog wrote:Atkins Verona Bicycle Shoppe

Go there Monday nights and he will show you how to change a tire and then have you do it. And have you do it again, and again, and again...

....and they were all on different bikes. And then he showed me how the broom works....

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Another vote for Revolution. They're totally nice about working on non-expensive everyday bikes.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”