BCS chaos, 2010 edition

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

BCS chaos, 2010 edition

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 am

Could this season of college football be even more disruptive to the rankings than 2007? Will a two-loss team make it to the championship game? Since it appears the gurus can read the tea leaves miles in advance, has anyone heard if the Badgers at one loss could ever possibly make it to the top two?

And will a playoff ever friggin' happen?
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: BCS chaos, 2010 edition

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Could this season of college football be even more disruptive to the rankings than 2007? Will a two-loss team make it to the championship game? Since it appears the gurus can read the tea leaves miles in advance, has anyone hears if the Badgers at one loss could ever possibly make it to the top two?

The answer to your first question is quite possibly.

The answer to the rest of them is no, no way. There will be at least a half dozen one loss or better teams at the end of the regular season. The only even remote chance that the Badgers would have is if they won out and there were no unbeaten teams left at all.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:30 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:And will a playoff ever friggin' happen?

Not for a while yet. You can't really make a case that a playoff would be better for the players, and it would probably make for a 16 game season for the final two teams, assuming 16 teams in the playoff. And obviously, it isn't better for the universities moneywise, or there would be one already.

I tend to agree with them. The reason for the appeal of the hoops tourney is the gambling, David vs. Goliath, and the fact that if a game is a 30 point blowout, you get to see a better game. By comparison, I have heard college FB described as a regional game that is popular in all regions of the country.

For example, I really don't see myself caring about Clemson vs. Arkansas in any case. If anything, I might be more likely to watch it on Jan 1st in a bowl game, as compared to mid-December on a Saturday.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 pm

gargantua wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Could this season of college football be even more disruptive to the rankings than 2007? Will a two-loss team make it to the championship game? Since it appears the gurus can read the tea leaves miles in advance, has anyone hears if the Badgers at one loss could ever possibly make it to the top two?

The answer to your first question is quite possibly.

The answer to the rest of them is no, no way. There will be at least a half dozen one loss or better teams at the end of the regular season. The only even remote chance that the Badgers would have is if they won out and there were no unbeaten teams left at all.

The primary beneficiary of a playoff system would be the sports media establishment. The secondary beneficiaries would be the handful of teams who make it to the top and they're already doing that with the current system.

Wisconsin has a glimmer of a chance of making it to the Rose Bowl this year, since it's not a BCS bowl and if the right Big Ten teams lose a couple more times. Then we'll get to play Oregon.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:43 pm

[/quote]

The primary beneficiary of a playoff system would be the sports media establishment. The secondary beneficiaries would be the handful of teams who make it to the top and they're already doing that with the current system.

Wisconsin has a glimmer of a chance of making it to the Rose Bowl this year, since it's not a BCS bowl and if the right Big Ten teams lose a couple more times. Then we'll get to play Oregon.[/quote]

I think Oregon will be in the national championship game, unless USC knocks them off. If Bucky gets to the Rose Bowl.....we'll probably face Stanford. I would LOVE to see us beat Harbaugh/Stanford at what they think is their own game. Iowa better beat Sparty or this conversation is likely moot.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 pm

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Rose Bowl IS a BCS bowl. I'd put money on it.

BrianV66

Postby BrianV66 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:51 pm

gargantua wrote:By the way, I'm pretty sure the Rose Bowl IS a BCS bowl. I'd put money on it.

I think the Big Ten gets their #1 team in the Rose Bowl unless 1 or more of the following happens -
1. The Rose Bowl is the Championship Game (it rotates between 4 bowls)
2. The Big Ten's #1 team is ranked by the BCS standings to be #1 or #2 (they would then play in the championship game)
3. I THINK if #2 above happens, the BCS can select the #2 Big Ten team to play in the Rose Bowl, but is not obligated to do so...

There are probably more caveats, but I think those are right.

BTW - I don't think a Big Ten team will be ranked #1 or #2, they kill each other too much. Someone's going to beat MSU and one of the other three (Iowa, UW and OSU) will have a surprise stumble game. I don't think a one loss Big Ten team is #1 or #2 in the BCS standings at the end of the year.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”