Maybe they should just remove the stop sign

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Maybe they should just remove the stop sign

Postby kissyfish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am

In back of Borders west, where locust drive intersects locust drive, the bicycles blow off the stop sign at a rate approaching 100%. I drive through there twice per day, and it is surprising to actually see a bike stop there. I also bike through the area with some frequency, so I realize that it is maybe a kind of dumb location for a stop sign, but there would be a hue and cry if cars blew it off at 15 mph.

They should either enforce it more, or get rid of it, Shorewood could raise some serious cash by ticketing there.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Maybe they should just remove the stop sign

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 am

They do ticket there, the motorcycle cop hangs out in that area and occasionally even drives down the bike path to hand out citations.

But to be fair, as you're approaching that stop sign you can see both directions well before you hit the actual intersection.

kissyfish wrote:so I realize that it is maybe a kind of dumb location for a stop sign, but there would be a hue and cry if cars blew it off at 15 mph.

well see, people who ride bikes are better than you. sorry.

-Dan Motor

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:15 am

kissyfish wrote:where locust drive intersects locust drive

?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:36 am

I use that intersection and cars roll through that stop sign all the time. It sure isn't just a bike thing.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:47 am

I see bits and pieces at that intersection all the time. I'm surprised I don't see bigger ones. That intersection is an accident waiting to happen.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:32 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:

?

I think thats supposed to be Locust Dr. and Rose Place.

If I'm biking north on Rose, I slow down, and at least yield.

If I fail to come to a complete stop, its usually because some car is right behind me, and I'm not sure if they're paying attention.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:

?

Hmmmmm....Could it be the nexus of the universe?

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 am

kissyfish wrote:I realize that it is maybe a kind of dumb location for a stop sign, but there would be a hue and cry if cars blew it off at 15 mph.

It is a dumb location for a 3-way stop. They should make it a 2-way, with Rose Place the required stop. The vast majority of motorists are turning, and the vast majority of bicyclists are going straight. Of course, the really logical thing would have been to make that a very small roundabout, so people would slow to about the average speed that they current use to go through the stop sign, but that's too scary and advanced for Shorewood Hills.

As to motorists at the stop sign, most of them run it at closer to 7-12 mph, which is also about the speed that bicyclists run it. People that don't bike much frequently overestimate the speed of other bicyclists.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 am

Hats off to whoever decided to finally switch around the stop sign at the intersection of Rimrock and Oregon (MM) road. That used to be a pointless traffic back up, especially around rush hour. Now it's flowin'.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Unreasonable laws are not obeyed. That stop sign is dumb for both cars and bikes.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 am

roadkill bill wrote:
kissyfish wrote:I realize that it is maybe a kind of dumb location for a stop sign, but there would be a hue and cry if cars blew it off at 15 mph.

It is a dumb location for a 3-way stop. They should make it a 2-way, with Rose Place the required stop. The vast majority of motorists are turning, and the vast majority of bicyclists are going straight. Of course, the really logical thing would have been to make that a very small roundabout, so people would slow to about the average speed that they current use to go through the stop sign, but that's too scary and advanced for Shorewood Hills.

As to motorists at the stop sign, most of them run it at closer to 7-12 mph, which is also about the speed that bicyclists run it. People that don't bike much frequently overestimate the speed of other bicyclists.

Bill,

I agree about the cars running it too, but I do use it a lot, and when driving in a car I have had numerous occasions where I looked both ways coming off rose place onto locust, only to have a bike come swinging through nearly missing me (they were unaware of me, because they were listening to their ipod I suspect), and to be fair and balanced, I am not saying that cars are without fault, don't even get me started on the density of a-hole drivers in that area who pull out in front of me whilst gabbing on a cell-phone, or fail to signal, or any other number of idiotic/unobservant/a-holeish things).

But from what I see, it is approaching 90+%, and I am not exaggerating. Cars seem to be at around 40-50%.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”