Bike path restaurant

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike path restaurant

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Edited for contextual clarity:
Now I've done it; I hijacked my own thread. Back to the topic.
...otherwise their beer barrels will have to be rolled down the bike path and that leads to too much foam when tapped

The proposed site is about a quarter mile from Glenway. And the golf course is on the other side of the ditch - maybe deliveries could be made from there.

Are you serious about the bumpy ride leading to foamy taps? How would a 200m trip on the bike path be different from the manhandling the typical barrel gets over curbs, door thresholds, and staircases at any other bar?

Not interested in debating zoning because of thread derailment? Uh huh :roll: C'mon, show me your pro-zoning colors!

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm not a big fan of the "Badger Den" as a name for this restaurant. In light of rabble's post in the other bike thread, I propose "The Padded Saddle."

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm

When a poor peasant in Guadalajara or Shanghai rides their bike to the market no one cares. When a cute local playboy goes to safe places in Europe and rides his bike around for fun he is smart, sexy, a risk taker, and progressive and we all should pay attention and be supportive.

Sure, OK.

I smell the viral marketing campaign.

brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby brentron909 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 pm

O.J. wrote:I'm not a big fan of the "Badger Den" as a name for this restaurant. In light of rabble's post in the other bike thread, I propose "The Padded Saddle."

Seriously. Do avid bike riders even care about organized sports? Oh wait, they care about progressive politics. How about "Fightin' Bob's Hob Nob?"

/sarcasm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Anyway, there's already a badger den restaurant in Madison.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Edited for contextual clarity:
Now I've done it; I hijacked my own thread. Back to the topic.
...otherwise their beer barrels will have to be rolled down the bike path and that leads to too much foam when tapped

The proposed site is about a quarter mile from Glenway. And the golf course is on the other side of the ditch - maybe deliveries could be made from there.

Sure enough, the Madison.com article says they plan to deliver supplies by golf cart.

I think it's a very cool idea, and like jjoyce, I was immediately reminded of the Shake Shack (also the brainchild of one of its city's most successful restaurateurs). If anyone in town can make this work (and that's a big if), Berge can.

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

This is genius. The location alone is perfection. When I moved to Madison in 1999 I lived in Midvale Heights and was perplexed by the lack of bar and grills in the area – silly me, I was paying attention to school quality. There's nothing there, unless you count the Laurel (which I don't, never having forgiven them for tearing out the classic tavern and making it look like McDonald's) or – what's it called? Village Bar? -- on the other side of Glenway golf course, and it one of those places where when it's time to use the bathroom you go home instead of using theirs, so disgusting it is. (Or used to be.)

I know there's more there now (I moved to the east side years ago), for those who don't mind soulless places like Great Dane Hilldale or other mall-dwelling venues, and on Monroe Street there's Brassiere V and jac's and the pizza place I've always meant to go to. But to have a locally-owned, locally-grown place you can only bike or walk to – oh, yeah. Get the kids fresh air and exercise. Get the 'rents a couple of beers without having to drive anyplace at all. When Mom's happy, everybody's happy.

“Food would be served on plastic or ceramic dishes” the article says -- is this a misquote? Why would a “zero-garbage” producing bar and grill serve on plastic? They lost me there. Maybe it's reusable plastic. Hey – if you don't pay your bill, do you have to operate the bike-energy-generated dishwasher?

I, too, am envious of Chris' travels, but if he's bringing home ideas like this I'm willing to put all that aside. Anybody who has the “time and money” to make this happen right now is my friend. Chris says he's looking for public support, consider this mine. The concept seems to work at Ironworks Cafe.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:33 pm

The linked proposal sounds unique, but it's worth noting several business that have built on their proximity to the bike path. Cafe Zoma has that great lawn out back facing the path and they get lots of customers that way, probably more than come via car (with parking so limited on Atwood). I'm sure the Harmony added all those bike racks for a good reason, too.

On the other hand, the spaghetti place on E. Wilson has quit serving diners and gone back to just making pasta, so apparently being right on the bike path didn't make that much difference for them.

Who else?

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:The linked proposal sounds unique, but it's worth noting several business that have built on their proximity to the bike path. Cafe Zoma has that great lawn out back facing the path and they get lots of customers that way, probably more than come via car (with parking so limited on Atwood). I'm sure the Harmony added all those bike racks for a good reason, too.

On the other hand, the spaghetti place on E. Wilson has quit serving diners and gone back to just making pasta, so apparently being right on the bike path didn't make that much difference for them.

Who else?

RP's Fork and Spoon had a lot of other issues that caused them to close, I don't think their location hurt them all that much. Now, being closed at 7, when your posted hours are until 8 or later, making customers slightly irritated and not wanting to come back after it happened THREE times - that probably hurt them.

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:07 pm

snoqueen wrote:it's worth noting several business that have built on their proximity to the bike path.

...or infrastructure in general. Bingo. This 'idea,' if that's what you want to call it, isn't remotely new. Its simply capitalizing off of a time frame that will give it better odds of working out. But that's not hip and sexy! But, don't let me tone down the hype about Berge's "genius" and cuteness factor. It's like telling a rich person who has money, power, and access that they were "genius" for building their house next to the lake when anyone with their money, power, and access would have done the same thing. That's not genius, that's playing off of money, power, and access. What is this guy, the messiah of Madison fashion liberalism?

This isn't about potential or the advancement of real cycling culture, its about the Berge brand.

Also, why did the OP put this post about fashion in the bike issues forum? Move this fashion foodie thread to the restaurant section where it belongs.

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:12 pm

I think it's worth seeing how it flies on the west side. The Berges know how to present a marketing plan, and are not inclined to fly blindly. RP's -- well it just wasn't very good. I like their pasta but it's inconsistent and the restaurant gave me a heartburn I'll always remember. Also, they sold me pasta past expiration date at the Farmer's Market and why the heck would they do such a thing? It was not advertised as a blue light special, and it was awful. So, they're gone and that's good. Advertise fresh pasta, serve fresh pasta. Simple.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:Also, why did the OP put this post about fashion in the bike issues forum? Move this fashion foodie thread to the restaurant section where it belongs.

I addressed that in the OP. So why didn't you ask me directly, or is that comment just symptomatic of your passive-aggressive disability?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm

If you ask me, and I'm pretty sure Homo just did, I think this thread is in exactly the place it otter bee. It has much more to do with bikes than restaurants.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 am

Here's channel3000.com's report on the proposed restaurant.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm

"It’s one area in the city where you can’t hear cars," says Kate Edwards, who lives on Fox Avenue and whose property backs up against the trail. "Why would you want to cut into it with sewer lines and electricity?"

See more at TDP story: West-side residents concerned about plans for restaurant on Madison bike path

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”