2010 Brewers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Number of Zaun Double Plays

10?
No votes
20?
No votes
40?
No votes
1000+?
100%

Total votes: 1

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2010 Brewers

Postby minicat » Mon May 10, 2010 3:39 pm

the one who can call a game worth a crap.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed May 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Can we please, please release Gregggg Zaun now?

And Jody Gerut?

And Ken Macha, for not marshaling these idiots properly?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon May 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Somebody please wake up grandpa. He's asleep at the wheel.

LoneWolf

Postby LoneWolf » Mon May 17, 2010 3:45 pm

minicat wrote:Can we please, please release Gregggg Zaun now?

Why? Zaun got his first base hit of the season on April 14. In the 20 games he has played since getting his first hit he is...

.321/.386/.462/.848

His line for May is...

.324/.378/.529/.908

Zaun and Gerut are not the problems with this team.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I blame it all on the poor performance by the entire pitching staff. Period.

LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I blame it all on the poor performance by the entire pitching staff. Period.

This.

'Crew has had a problem matching up a solid pitching start with a good offensive performance for a couple of years now. Just not enough success for the 2nd or 3rd best offensive team in the league.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Sorry, I've so rarely suggested this extreme measure, but my gut is screaming FIRE MACHA! He's doing an awful job managing this team. Thought he was gonna blow out Narveson's arm last Saturday. The team is running scared. Grandpa's gotta go.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 pm

LoneWolf wrote:
minicat wrote:Can we please, please release Gregggg Zaun now?

Why? Zaun got his first base hit of the season on April 14. In the 20 games he has played since getting his first hit he is...

.321/.386/.462/.848

His line for May is...

.324/.378/.529/.908

Zaun and Gerut are not the problems with this team.

I could care less about Zaun's hitting. Have you considered that maybe some of the issues with the pitching is because of the guy CALLING THE GAMES?

And Gerut just sucks. He's not as big an issue since he wouldn't be playing if other guys weren't hurt.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 pm

So who is out there that we can get in a deal for Prince? Anybody that would make a difference? I think Casey McGehee has stepped up and given all the extra power we need. Can we get two starters out of the deal? A starter and someone who can come in next year and not be Jeff Suppan? A starter and a reliever who doesn't suck? I honestly don't know who is available. I suppose you start with the teams that can afford to sign Prince long term and work from there.

LoneWolf

Postby LoneWolf » Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 pm

minicat wrote:Have you considered that maybe some of the issues with the pitching is because of the guy CALLING THE GAMES?

uh no. The whole "calls a good game" thing is over rated. Jason Kendall is a veteran catcher who everyone loves to say "calls a good game". But in 2009 the Brewers posted a team ERA of 4.94 while Kendall was catching and team ERA of 4.38 while Mike Rivera was catching.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... &year=2009

Really there are only two types of catchers, the ones who call the pitches and the ones who get the signs from the dugout before every pitch. The game plan and pitch selection for every batter is planed out with the pitching coach before every game so its not like one catcher can call a better game than another. Veteran guys who have been around forever and don't have to keep looking back to the dugout for the pitch, get the "calls a good game" label. I guess it sounds better than "he fills a defensive position but doesn't hit much".

And I know what your thinking, that description sounds a lot like, well Zaun! Your right he's allready gotten the "calls a good game" label from his days in Toronto. Just do a google search for "zaun calls a good game" you'll get a plenty of hits claiming this is his strong suit.

The real issue with this pitching staff is that Doug Melvin put together a rotation of light tossing veterans who rely way to much on nibbling corners.

Yovani Gallardo
Randy Wolf
Doug Davis
Dave Bush
Chris Narveson
Jeff Suppan

None of those guys can be described as a power pitcher and they all are nibblers. And what happens to light-tossing nibblers that miss their spots? You either get a ton of walks (4.2 BB/9, rank 15/16 NL) or you get hit very hard (51 HR allowed, rank 15/16 NL). It's OK to walk guys (and this is the philosophy that Doug Davis was sold on) as long as you don't give up the big hits. And its ok to give up the big hits as long as your not giving the other team free base runners. But the Brewers are doing both and it is killing them.

No doubt Macha will be fired before the end of the season, someones gotta be the fall guy. But the truth is its MELVIN that has to go. He seems to be the only person that thinks hitting is what wins championships. Some one posted this on the JSonline blog yesterday and i think it needs to be posted again.

Flashback to 2001. . .

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Doug Melvin, the architect of Texas' only three division championships, was fired as general manager Sunday after the Rangers finished in last place even with Alex Rodriguez.

After also finishing last in 2000, the Rangers signed Rodriguez to a record $252 million, 10-year contract that was negotiated by owner Tom Hicks.

Rodriguez did his part, hitting over .300 with more than 50 homers, but Melvin was unable to upgrade a weak pitching staff.

Texas started the final day of the season at Seattle with a major league-worst 5.73 ERA and 44 games behind the Mariners, A-Rod's former team. It's the second year in a row the Rangers finished in last place and had the highest ERA in the majors.

It's deja vu all over again

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri May 21, 2010 9:01 am

Re Melvin: It's even more fun considering that some of these crappy pitchers he's imported in Milwaukee have been some of the same guys who got him fired in Texas. To play devil's advocate, though ... what pitchers were available that they could afford who would have been better signings the past two years? The free agent market for pitching has been sad in the recent past. All the teams in the Brewers' price range have been signing the same sort of middling veterans, pitchers recovering from injury, one-year wonders as Melvin. He's just had the reverse magic touch of picking the wrong ones nearly every time (Suppan, Riske, Gagne, hopefully not Wolf). And when he's had players to trade, he keeps waiting until their value is reduced and then dumping them for similarly problematic position players rather than pitching (Hardy/Gomez etc). I hate to say it, but I agree that it's time for ol' Dougie to hit the bricks.

I still say one of his worst signings was signing a 40 year old career backup to be your starting catcher, though.

Last night: Zaun out with injury, no Gerut = win. Coincidence? I think not.

mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm watching the Milwaukee/Twins game right now...first inning, 5-0 Twins, Bush can't even FIND the plate. I don't even know what to say.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Looks like Gregg Zaun haters won't have him to kick around anymore.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 27, 2010 9:16 am

Good now we can all focus our rage on Macha and Melvin.

Oswalt wants out of Houston. Let's make a deal.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am

fisticuffs wrote:Good now we can all focus our rage on Macha and Melvin.

Oswalt wants out of Houston. Let's make a deal.

Sounds like we need a catcher first.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”