Oh No Bo

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Oh No Bo

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 am

An absolute ass-kicking from yet another lower seed. I love ya Bo, but what up bro?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oh No Bo

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am

I don't know what could have been done. Those Cornell players were sinking every piece of garbage they put up. They were well defended on many of them and then over the course of the game that just sucks out your interior. It was ugly. I haven't seen a team just drain them at will like that in a while. Probably since Curry did it to us in the tourney a few years back only this time it seemed like 4 or 5 guys doing the damage. Oh well. Pretty good showing considering the preseason hype. We'll be back and better next season. Purdue will be down next year I think. Ohio State is losing Turner and we've seen what kind of team that is without him. We can take the Big Ten next season.

BrianV66

Postby BrianV66 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am

I don't have the time or energy, but I'd like to know the last time a team that shot 61.1% in the NCAA lost a game. If Cornell keeps that up, no one beats them.

I think something like that just takes the wind out of your sails. The Badgers shot something like 49% themselves, that's usually a victory.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:00 pm

BrianV66 wrote:If Cornell keeps that up, no one beats them.

Damn straight. So well balanced with the great big man down low and the bevy of marksmen hitting from everywhere. Inside, outside, runners ... lights out.
I'm now rooting for Cornell to put the final touches on killing my brackets and win the whole enchilada.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Yeah, but.... how did they manage to shoot that well?

I've also heard people saying that but for Nankivil and Taylor being in foul trouble, things would have gone better. But how did they manage to get into foul trouble?

Cornell had a game plan, Wisconsin did not. They were aware that if you get Taylor on the bench, Hughes handles the ball a lot more and that's generally great for opposing defenses. Get the Nank on the bench and Bo has to bring Bruesewitz or Begren (!) in if he wants to play big. Those guys are, well, not that good on either end of the floor.

Trevon Hughes was straight-up playing lazy d at times during that game. That and Cornell had UW's helping man-to-man solved well before tip time and Bo refuses to put in a junk defense for even a few possessions just to mess 'em up. It wasn't just that Cornell was dropping bombs from outside, they were getting WIDE OPEN back cuts. That game was a clinic. When your system is designed to keep you in the game against quicker and more athletic teams, how do you sell it when you get owned by an Ivy? I hope Ryan has nightmares for months about those give-&-gos.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:00 am

I have to admit that Bo and the boys handled the bracket darlings from Belmont quite handily. They shook off the Ohio State and Penn State ass-kickings and got the job done.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

Ned Flanders wrote:I have to admit that Bo and the boys handled the bracket darlings from Belmont quite handily. They shook off the Ohio State and Penn State ass-kickings and got the job done.

Ya scared me by bumping this thread. I read the first post and didn't notice the timestamp.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 am

Sorry. Just wanted to give credit where due. I was expecting another SW Missouri State and was happliy surprised.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 am

Well the stinker came a game later than I thought it would, but come it did.

BrianV66

Postby BrianV66 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am

It was hard to watch.

They were picked to finish 6th - 7th by 'experts', so in that respect a good regular season, but the team didn't look ready to play last night.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 am

They just went way too cold at the half to stand a chance. There was a lid on that bucket. Had they scored some points out of the break they could have made a game of it. Taylor didn't show up at all in this tourney. Bruiser didn't have the balls to take a shot when he was driving and a step away from the basket. I stopped watching with about 10 minutes left.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 am

I quit watching at halftime, although I knew they were done even earlier than that when I saw that Butler was getting every single loose ball, and the Badgers were so easily discouraged from trying to score down in the paint.

That said, I think it was a successful season for this Badger team. Show of hands please....other than for possibly right after the Ohio State victory, how many of us really thought the Badgers were one of the best 8 teams in the country? Where they ended up was about right, if not an overachievement.

BrianV66

Postby BrianV66 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 pm

That said, I think it was a successful season for this Badger team.

Couldn't agree more, I'll feel more like that in a week when the stink of the past 5 games wears off. Even the 2 wins in the NCAA didn't feel 'right' to me.

They could be set up OK for next year. Losing Leuer, Nankovil and Jarmusz - but keeping Taylor, Carrot Top, Gasser and Bergeren (sp) [with a year more progress] isnt' the worst starting point.

Surely, they'll be picked to fninsh in the bottom 5.

I don't think WI is probably ever going to consistently go farther than this in the tournament. Ryan just won't get the 'blue chip' players (or even really go after them) needed to win against that competition to come here.

I'm pretty satisfied with a top 3 Big 10 (or whatever it's going to be called) finsh and 2 wins in the tournament.

cainabel

Postby cainabel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

I congratulate Bucky on a season where they played hard and won several games they supposedly shouldn't have. I also think that Bo's teams will have a tough time going all the way in the tournament. I think due to the reliance on the jumpshot. I had hopes that JT was the guy who could put it all on his shoulders and take over a game when needed, but he just didn't seem to have it on Thursday. 85% free throw shooter going 7 for 12, and 4 turnovers? Wouldn't mind seeing that 3/4 court pressure more often.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Already feel better about things now that Butler knocked off Florida. I watched the Florida-BYU game, and Florida is a hell of a good team.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”