Will the Big "Ten" add another?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Will the Big "Ten" add another?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 pm

There is talk that the Big Ten conference will add another school, if for no other reason than to have a conference playoff game for football, in order to bring in the bucks.

I say, let's drop the private school (sorry, Buckyor) and get back to 10 teams.

But if they do add another team, we need a new conference name and the Big 12 has already been taken. How about the Big Dozen?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Will the Big "Ten" add another?

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Bring in Missouri, and in honor of the dueling brewing traditions of WI and MO, call it the Big Double Sixer. The Big 12-Pack. The Big Half-A-Case

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm

The linked article mentions previous negotiations with Notre Dame, that would be the most obvious best fit to bring into the conference.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 pm

As far as ND, no more private schools. We need another land-grant university.

TheBookPolice wrote: The Big 12-Pack.

That I like.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:47 am

Henry Vilas wrote:[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381]
But if they do add another team, we need a new conference name and the Big 12 has already been taken. How about the Big Dozen?

How about Big Ten Minus One Plus Three?
[Big Ten minus University of Chicago+Michigan State, Penn State, and Whomever]

As a sidelight to this discussion, if the Big Ten adds another school with a varisty hockey program, the Big Ten could then have their own hockey league since the NCAA (or some rules-happy organization) requires at least 6 teams for league play.

As to Notre Dame, the hurt feelings leftover from the last overture to ND probably precludes asking them-- as if they'd accept this time.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:12 am

scratch wrote:How about Big Ten Minus One Plus Three?
[Big Ten minus University of Chicago+Michigan State, Penn State, and Whomever]

As a sidelight to this discussion, if the Big Ten adds another school with a varisty hockey program, the Big Ten could then have their own hockey league since the NCAA (or some rules-happy organization) requires at least 6 teams for league play.

We should definitely make it an in-joke from the 1940's, yes.

And just because the Big Ten could have its own hockey conference with a sixth team doesn't mean it would.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/ ... 06084.html

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:21 pm

According to the Chicago Tribune they're now entertaining the idea of adding three teams, which would allow them to name it the Big 14. Unless BooPo objects, of course.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm

They should add 9 teams and split the Big 10 in to the Big 10 North and Big 10 South. Or just keep everything as is. Why do we need a 12th team to have a championship game?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why do we need a 12th team to have a championship game?

NCAA rules demand at least 6 teams per division in order to hold a conference championship game.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Scha-WINNG!!!

Postby Marvell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:43 pm

scratch wrote:According to the Chicago Tribune they're now entertaining the idea of adding three teams, which would allow them to name it the Big 14. Unless BooPo objects, of course.

Or the estate of John Holmes.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:55 am

TheBookPolice wrote:And just because the Big Ten could have its own hockey conference with a sixth team doesn't mean it would.

But that doesn't mean we can't try it. And to that end, I suggest adding Bemidji State. They're about to ruin the WCHA, let's go for the gusto and have them ruin the Big whatever while we're at it.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:59 am

nevermore wrote:the Big whatever

We have a winner.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I say, let's drop the private school (sorry, Buckyor) and get back to 10 teams.

The Iowa fans have the same suggestion. Funny how the schools we seem to beat (Iowa on an annual basis) want us out of the league....

NU is a founding member of the Big Ten, and ain't going anywhere. When I was in school, during the record-setting 34-game losing streak, there was talk about dropping out of the Big Ten to join the Ivy League. That was bullshit then, and so is any talk of us dropping out now.

Desptite Pat Fitzgerald's traditionalist objections, I think adding a 12th school would not be a bad idea. My thought would be Mizzou, which seems the most natural fit for the conference. Stretching east to Pitt, Syracuse or Rutgers does not seem like such a fit, and there's really no reason to think SU or Pitt would want to leave the Big East, at least for basketball. Rutgers doesn't add shit- Penn State has a bigger presence in New York than the State University of New Jersey. The fact is, college football is just not that big on the Eastern Seaboard, at least until you get south quite a ways.

If the league adds 3 to get to 14, I think it would include Nebraska and Iowa State. The Big XII, from which all three would be refugees, has largely become focused on the southern half of the region anyway, so I can see those schools finding the Big 10- 11- errr 14 being appealing into them.

As for ND- they continue to deny their interest, and I have heard from several sources that there is a lot bad feeling about them among numerous Big Ten programs. Not gonna happen.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 am

nevermore wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:And just because the Big Ten could have its own hockey conference with a sixth team doesn't mean it would.

But that doesn't mean we can't try it. And to that end, I suggest adding Bemidji State. They're about to ruin the WCHA, let's go for the gusto and have them ruin the Big whatever while we're at it.

Until the Big Ten has its own hockey league the Big Ten Network will keep the Badgers and the Gophers from being on TV very often. Even though Big Ten teams play in other leagues in hockey, the BTN controls access to their games.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 am

Whats with the obsession with private vs. land grant? Get over it. Founding members of a conference have rights. That said, I would prefer Mizzou over ND. ND isn't interested anyway.

Its about money, and college hockey has little to do with the big picture here. They will bring in the top football schools, if those schools also have decent hoops teams its a bonus (Mizzou?). Hockey is an afterthought. Most college hockey conferences do not overlap with football/basketball conferences.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”