I Hate Sports

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

I Hate Sports

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 am

First, the Badgers pretty much control the game against Ohio St., but lose due to 3 huge plays. Then, the Red Sox get swept by the Angels, losing an early lead of 5-1 and then blowing a two-run lead in the ninth. Finally, the Patriots squander a 17-7 halftime lead to the surprisingly good Broncos. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Vander Blue signs with Marquette today.

Why do I even bother?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I Hate Sports

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 am

Hey, at least the Packers didn't lose this weekend.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:23 am

And the evil Yankees beat up on their farm team too.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:03 am

O.J. wrote:First, the Badgers pretty much control the game against Ohio St., but lose due to 3 huge plays. Then, the Red Sox get swept by the Angels, losing an early lead of 5-1 and then blowing a two-run lead in the ninth. Finally, the Patriots squander a 17-7 halftime lead to the surprisingly good Broncos. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Vander Blue signs with Marquette today.

Why do I even bother?

The Badger game was a joke. Trying to be philosophical about the Sox, they just got beat by a better team. But seriously, wtf is up with Kyle Orton?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Here's the thing: MLB thinks Yankees/Red Sox is good for the game because that's what ESPN insists. Of course, baseball was much healthier when I was growing up and teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh were regularly fielding competitive teams.

I'm thrilled that there won't be a Boston/NY ALCS, but having the spendy LA Angels of Anaheim won't be much better. And if the World Series ends up being Yankees/Dodgers, I'll be thoroughly uninterested.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:24 pm

They really should just hand the trophy out to the team that spent the most at the beginning of the season. Ned's right when he calls the Twins the Yankees farm team. That's pretty much the state of baseball these days. Anyone with any talent just has to wait out their contract or wait for their team to be below 500 as of the trade deadline and they'll end up on one of the bigger payrolls. My only interest at all in the MLB playoffs is to see the Yankees lose. Hopefully if the NFL goes without a cap it will only be for one year. Can you imagine what kind of competition there would be if Jerry Jones could just buy the All Pro team year after year?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm

I disagree, I think Red Sox/Yankees ALCS' are the shit. I also enjoy match-ups with other teams. And its always cool when small market teams with fanbases get in and win (I can't get behind rooting for fanless franchises like TB). The Twins were a great story, and I was pulling for them, but it will be nice to see Anaheim give NY a run for their money (hopefully). Either way, I will be tuning in to the ALCS, NLCS and WS. I always do.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I agree that the difference between the haves and have nots has widened this year, but consider that in the last 20 years:

14 different MLB teams have won the World Series
12 different NFL & NHL teams have won their respective titles
Only 7 different NBA franchises have lifted a trophy

MLB also has the fewest number of teams that actually make the playoffs, cutting down the chances for a Cinderalla story.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I LOVE Sports

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:00 pm

I rescind this silly statement. Great weekend for sports. The Badgers crush Northwestern, the Patriots get a huge comeback win against the Saints, then the Red Sox top them all, finding the timely hitting(hell, ANY hitting) that had abandoned them over the previous 16 innings of play.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm

Have to agree with you 100%.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”