UofM new stadium

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

UofM new stadium

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 am

Nice place to see a game, smaller than i was expecting but heard there are plans to expand with a deal with the Vikings.

Much better than the dome of course.

U of M students and fans in stadium - weak, weak, weak. Having been to every big 10 stadium they rank the lowest.

Anyone else there saturday? any thoughts?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UofM new stadium

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:32 am

I haven't seen the completed version yet, but the fans have always been, um, tepid at those games. Has a lot to do with the product on the field, I'm thinking. Also has to do with the commuter vibe of the metro campus.

When I was a kid, they played in the reliable Memorial Stadium, located a couple blocks from the new TCF Stadium (I'm hoping they start calling it "The Bank"). It was a red brick horseshoe, but I was often assigned seats on the wooden bleachers located at the open end. I saw Antony Carter roll up the score in that place. I also saw the Gophers beat UCLA in, I think, 1976 there because I'm sure my dad thought it would be over by halftime and we'd be able to leave early. No such luck.

They've designed the new place to look like the old place, with the infrastructure in place to upgrade from the 50,000 seats they have now. But that deal doesn't involve the Vikings. They might end up renting the place out on Sundays to the Vikes if the latter radically renovates the Metrodome. But the Vikes are on their own now for a field.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UofM new stadium

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:46 pm

jjoyce wrote:
They've designed the new place to look like the old place, with the infrastructure in place to upgrade from the 50,000 seats they have now. But that deal doesn't involve the Vikings. They might end up renting the place out on Sundays to the Vikes if the latter radically renovates the Metrodome. But the Vikes are on their own now for a field.

We heard from a few different people that at some point the Vikings would pay for an expansion in exchange for playng there. maybe just rumors.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”