Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Postby O.J. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm

This could very well just be spin from the Hokies camp, but their AD apparently claimed Wisconsin asked out.

http://www.techsideline.com/football/futurescheds.htm

(See 3/22/06 update)

Ralph Cirella

Postby Ralph Cirella » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 pm

BB himself admitted they pulled out of the Va Tech home and home because he didn't want to play a sched of NIU/Fresno/Va Tech going into the conference.

I see sports discussion is not a specialty of this fourm.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 am

Ralph Cirella wrote:BB himself admitted they pulled out of the Va Tech home and home because he didn't want to play a sched of NIU/Fresno/Va Tech going into the conference.

No kidding? That isn't exactly a trio of juggernauts.

Do you have a link to that quote? I see posting a persuasive argument is not your specialty.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 am

Ralph Cirella wrote:BB himself admitted they pulled out of the Va Tech home and home because he didn't want to play a sched of NIU/Fresno/Va Tech going into the conference.

FYI, NIU and Fresno St. were never on the same schedule...we played N. Illinois in '07-'08 and Fresno in '08-'09.

Fresno St. has a very solid program and Bielema(from everything I've heard) didn't want to have to play both them and the Hokies prior to the daunting start of conference play: @ Mich, OSU, PSU, @ Iowa.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 am

Ralph Cirella wrote:

Its not, but pick a topic and lets have at it smart guy.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am

Ralph Cirella wrote:I see sports discussion is not a specialty of this fourm.

Probably a good thing. Most sports forums I've read seem to be havens for illiterate racists that don't know squat.

There are a handful of us here that dig sports quite a bit.

Bababooooooey.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:41 am

supaunknown wrote:There are a handful of us here that dig sports quite a bit.

Bababooooooey.

We're all about NASCAR here on TDP.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:05 pm

False.

Whether you're charitable toward his decision or not, the fact is that Bielema pulled Va. Tech off the 2008 schedule (which also removed them in 2009) because he was facing a rough start to the 2008 Big Ten season. In fact, he didn't want to play Va. Tech, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State in consecutive weeks.

Ralph Cirella

Postby Ralph Cirella » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:

False.

Whether you're charitable toward his decision or not, the fact is that Bielema pulled Va. Tech off the 2008 schedule (which also removed them in 2009) because he was facing a rough start to the 2008 Big Ten season. In fact, he didn't want to play Va. Tech, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State in consecutive weeks.

Shouldn't you be whining about kids dropping candy wrappers on your lawn?

Ralph Cirella

Postby Ralph Cirella » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm

"FYI, NIU and Fresno St. were never on the same schedule.."

Did I miss something or did UW open with NIU and Fresno in the Year of our Lord, 2009?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:Whether you're charitable toward his decision or not, the fact is that Bielema pulled Va. Tech off the 2008 schedule (which also removed them in 2009) because he was facing a rough start to the 2008 Big Ten season. In fact, he didn't want to play Va. Tech, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State in consecutive weeks.

An ambitious early schedule makes it look like your program is to be taken seriously.

I'm conflicted. I see the point of scheduling an easier team in the non-conference portion of the season, just to let your team runs it's system with inpunity and gain confidence in it, but when the other team is grossly overmatched it may not help anybody. I do hate to see kids from smallish football programs getting hurt when they play the Badgers. And by pushing around a bunch of lightweights, is the UW really doing all it can to make the football team better? The better the competition, the more there is to be learned.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Ralph Cirella wrote:"FYI, NIU and Fresno St. were never on the same schedule.."

Did I miss something or did UW open with NIU and Fresno in the Year of our Lord, 2009?

Everything I've read/heard about pointed to the beginning of the '08-'09 season for Bielema's reluctance to schedule the series, not this season.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Again, I think it comes down to what teams are rewarded for and what the motivations are for scheduling tough teams early. The teams that do so (Ohio State comes to mind) usually pad the rest of the non-conference with Youngstown State or Akron. Or both.

Big Ten play is where it's at and doing well in conference is what Bielema's priority is. There's no reason to schedule a tough non-conference opponent at a time when it might mess up the conference slate, especially when you start off with the league's three best teams. Ideally, you schedule the tough game in the middle of three. Since there is no compelling reason to schedule a tough opponent if you don't have to, failing to find one that can't go in that slot means we get Fresno State instead.

Obviously, customer satisfaction is a different matter. But as has been pointed out elsewhere, the renewal rate was still more than expected this year even with a bad economy and Wofford on the schedule.

Ralph Cirella wrote:Shouldn't you be whining about kids dropping candy wrappers on your lawn?

I'm sure this is hilarious.

Ralph Cirella

Postby Ralph Cirella » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Ralph Cirella wrote:Shouldn't you be whining about kids dropping candy wrappers on your lawn?

I'm sure this is hilarious.

It is.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:52 am

If it makes any Badger fans feel better Michigan is getting a visit today from powerhouse Deleware State. Right in the middle of Big Ten play.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”