Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Peacetrain wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Peacetrain wrote:Considering they've been scheduling cupcakes for atleast 3 of 4 non conf games for many years i dont see it affecting overall seaon tickets too much.

No so. Thousands did not renew their season tickets for this year. And the Wofford game did not sell out - for the first time in over 40 games.

How many are because of non-conference schedule?

UW men's basketball sold out all season tickets for this season. The football team did not.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Peacetrain wrote:In some ways you can thank everyother UW sport(except mens bball,mens hockey, and womens vball) for the football & Mens bballs weak non-conf schedule.

A) How?

B) You're calling the Men's Basketball non-conference schedule weak? Let's see... Last year: Connecticut, UW-Milwaukee, Marquette, Texas. The year before: Georgia, Duke, Texas, and the two Wisconsin schools again. 2006-07: Auburn, Florida State, Winthrop, Pittsburgh, Georgia, and the two WI schools. 2005-06: Old Dominion, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, and the two WI schools. Want me to keep going?

a) gotta pay for those other sports somehow.

b) The games they choose to schedule at home, yes weak. Not all are but most are. Of the 19 games you mention only marquette, pitt and texas fall into what i would consider good non-conf. games they choose to schedule.

Henry- 17,000 vs. 82,000.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Peacetrain wrote: a) gotta pay for those other sports somehow.

b) The games they choose to schedule at home, yes weak. Not all are but most are. Of the 19 games you mention only marquette, pitt and texas fall into what i would consider good non-conf. games they choose to schedule.

Well, A doesn't make any sense because you'd think they'd bring in higher-caliber opponents to drive ticket prices and buys up. And B doesn't make sense because, well, it's stupid. All the teams I noted are regular conference winners, "BCS" conference teams, and/or March Madness participants.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Well, A doesn't make any sense because you'd think they'd bring in higher-caliber opponents to drive ticket prices and buys up. And B doesn't make sense because, well, it's stupid. All the teams I noted are regular conference winners, "BCS" conference teams, and/or March Madness participants.

When you schedule higher caliber you play at home 1 year and away the next. Lower caliber you play home both years. Extra home games mean extra money which keeps the budget in the black which allows other(non-revenue) sports to operate in the red every year.

My point was comparing non-conf games UW schedules at home(fb & bb). Thats why i only included Pitt, MU, and Texas (and not big ten/acc challenge games). Scheduling from BCS conf in hoops doesnt necessarily mean much.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 am

Factor in the idea that of the "major" conference opponents regularly scheduled by UW include away games at UNLV and Hawaii, which fans love.

When you throw one of those on the schedule every other year to appease moneyed alums, then it gets kind of tricky to do a home & home with a decent-sized school. UW has, however, scheduled teams like Arizona and Oregon in the recent past.

I'm not excusing Wofford, but because of the way the FBS is set up, there's no penalty for scheduling FCS opponents and fans haven't voted against it with their feet. Yet.

Also, there's no question that UW needs to schedule a full allotment of home games each year. If they didn't, they'd essentially be throwing millions of dollars away and royally piss off the Madison economic community that benefits in a huge way from every home game. They learned their lesson when they played in Japan in 1993. Consider that the Wofford game wasn't a sellout, but it was very heavily attended.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 pm

UW was so desperate to sell tickets that they were offering packages consisting of 4 tix, $50 in concessions, and passes to University Ridge. Yikes! Maybe if the athletic department continues to schedule teams like Wofford they should lower the ticket price for those particular games so they can still sell the place out. They could market one game per year with $25 tickets as their gift to fans who cannot normally afford to attend.

Yeah, the stadium was maybe 96-97% filled vs. Wofford but how many of those people only went because they were given tickets or got them at a very reduced price? It was a very good opportunity for casual fans and families to finally afford to get to a game. Now, my point isn't whether the attendees were actually the season ticketholders or not. But the fact that UW could not sell this game out and that season ticket holders did ignore going in droves is indicative of how frustrated a number of season ticketholders have become. If this team doesn't pull out a fairly decent season I'm thinking that the renewal rate is going to drop again next season. It dropped to only 94% for this season.

There's a whole lot from last season that has bubbled over and reared its ugly head in the form of this huge outburst over scheduling Wofford. Consider how last season went down and some of the ongoing issues that we sweep aside when the team plays well:
a) scheduling Cal Poly in late November and then almost losing to them.
b) we also played cupcakes like Akron and Marshall at home
c) had an embarrassing blowout loss to Penn State at home
d) melted down at Michigan, a game we had locked up
e) a number of other frustrating, close losses
f) the team's disciplinary issues
g) the band's hazing issues and subsequent non-performance for the OSU game coupled with their director's recycled and worn out song choices
h) the student section (they are an issue for some people, not all)
i) ticket prices
j) the fact that many ticketholders feel the need to spend the $45 for each seatback just to protect their already cramped space
k) the athletic department's arrogance
l) ugly loss in a bowl game that we barely deserved to be in

That's my take on why people have gotten so upset over the schedule. Maybe I'm off versus how other fans feel but I think it accurately sums up the opinions of my group, which has bought regular season tickets since 1994.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Don't forget about the ridiculous seat licensing fees, which make it impossible for season ticket holders to re-sell them at true value without exposing themselves to scalping charges.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:Factor in the idea that of the "major" conference opponents regularly scheduled by UW include away games at UNLV and Hawaii, which fans love.

When you throw one of those on the schedule every other year to appease moneyed alums, then it gets kind of tricky to do a home & home with a decent-sized school. UW has, however, scheduled teams like Arizona and Oregon in the recent past.

I'm not excusing Wofford, but because of the way the FBS is set up, there's no penalty for scheduling FCS opponents and fans haven't voted against it with their feet. Yet.

Also, there's no question that UW needs to schedule a full allotment of home games each year. If they didn't, they'd essentially be throwing millions of dollars away and royally piss off the Madison economic community that benefits in a huge way from every home game. They learned their lesson when they played in Japan in 1993. Consider that the Wofford game wasn't a sellout, but it was very heavily attended.

Very well said jason. We still have to remember that the wofford game and cal-poly last year were only scheduled because other schools dropped out and left UW with few options other than FCS schools.

TBP- When comparing FB to BB you have to look at % of non conf. quality games.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Okay, call me an idiot--what is the proposed solution to UW football's sin of scheduling D-Ia teams? Because this is what I'm looking at as the critique:

-They have to schedule home games or the boosters and fans will rise up.
-They have to schedule cupcakes because the good schools won't come here without a trip elsewhere.
-Trips elsewhere don't count in terms of scheduling quality opponents.
-Dearth of quality opponents makes the boosters and fans rise up.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 pm

All that is true, but you're missing the bigger point: People are still buying tickets. A lot of tickets. And they're also buying suites. Nobody likes to see Wofford on the schedule, but the stadium was full and it doesn't matter who actually used those tickets. The point is they were paid for and got used.

As a dad, I actually welcome a game a year that has an easy ticket. We scored a pair for $30 for the Fresno State game.

Anyway, it's been made clear that we can expect to see an FCS opponent on the schedule unless and until the NCAA changes its rules and, most likely, its postseason championship structure.

They can schedule four non-conference games, and they'd better schedule three of those at home. One should be against a BCS conference opponent and all signs point to that happening in the future. But did you know that Ohio State had to pay Navy $1 million to come to the horseshoe? So you have to be selective.

But the truth is that if the Badgers finish this season in the top 10 and win a good bowl game, they'll get a 99%-plus season ticket renewal next year.

And whoever compared basketball sellouts to football tickets is comparing apples to oranges. Camp Randall holds 80,000. After season renewals, they sell out Big Ten games immediately. But they sell so many season tickets at this point that they don't really lose anything by having a couple thousand empty seats for a Wofford game.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:13 pm

pulseCzar,

I understand your frustrations with last year. How dont you understand why most schools in similar situations as UW schedule the same way?

For the last time, with emphasis, Wofford and Caly Poly were added after VA Tech and someone else pulled out ,
would you rather they just not filled those games or go with a decent FCS team and a top 5 FCS team?

Original 2009 non-conf games were NIU, FSU, Va Tech, and Hawaii. Not bad is it...

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 pm

As Rick Majerus likes to say about fans. Win, and you can screw a chearleader and they wont care. Lose, you better not even glance in the direction of the chearleaders or they'll call for your head.

TBP- The solution to me is for UW to schedule exactly the way they originally did for 2009.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Are you sure it was V Tech that begged out of the home vs. home, and not the other way around? It's not like the Hokies were afraid to play us; they replaced that series with one against Nebraska.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:57 pm

O.J. wrote:Are you sure it was V Tech that begged out of the home vs. home, and not the other way around? It's not like the Hokies were afraid to play us; they replaced that series with one against Nebraska.

I think so. If I remember correctly they got even more $ to play elsewhere.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

O.J. wrote:Are you sure it was V Tech that begged out of the home vs. home, and not the other way around? It's not like the Hokies were afraid to play us; they replaced that series with one against Nebraska.

As far as i know V Tech wanted it moved to a different 2 years

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”