Packers 2009

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers 2009

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:11 am

I don't know about the end of the world, but it may very well presage the end of the McCarthy era. Sunday's game against the Niners is looking like a must-win deal if Fat Mike wants to be muttering on the sidelines in the Green and Gold in 2010.

Yes the win against Dallas was big, but all the same shit was there - iffy special teams play, an unconscionable number of stupid penalties, and a group that put the 'offensive' in 'offensive line.' The fact that they've won even five games this year is amazing, given how hell-bent they seem to be on under-achieving - and is a tribute to the sheer talent level the team has on the defense and in the offensive skill positions.

With four of their last six games on the road we desperately need to pants San Francisco if we've got any hope of having some mo going into the post-season - if we even get there.

It's still better than last year. But 2009 is turning out to be one of the more frustrating Packer seasons in memory.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:58 pm

You whiners. Are there any Packer Backers left in Westconsin? I'd be happy to just go1-2 against the Vikings this year.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 pm

doppel wrote:I'd be happy to just go1-2 against the Vikings this year.

You I like (and if you think doppel's idea is far-fetched, I have one word for you: 2004). After all the grousing amongst the Packer fans and cheering amongst the anti-Packer Favre fans at work after the Tampa Bay game, I said (to a lot of derision) "12-4 gets us into the playoffs". So far, it's looking good as we do have a clear path (and would have a clearer path if the Bears win tonight - but I'm never going to root for a Bears win) to the playoffs.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 pm

doppel wrote:You whiners. Are there any Packer Backers left in Westconsin? I'd be happy to just go1-2 against the Vikings this year.

Oh sweet merciful jesus.

Look - I was a 'Packer Backer' back when Anthony frickin' Dilweg was the quarterback. But if being a 'Packer Backer' means I must surrender my critical faculties in favor of some kind of supine, lemming-like 'my team right or wrong' quietude, then I abase myself to you as a paragon of the mindless group think that represents 'true' fandom.

Maybe you should stop following the Packers and join the Unification Church. They seem a little more your speed.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am

Five in a row and a sweep of the Bears.

I just wanted to mention that for the Bears fans that lurk around here and don't seem to have much to say these days.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:16 am

Yep a wild card is looking almost certain at this point. Still some tough games left on the schedule but they looked a lot tougher in September than they do now. Up next the defending champs, who have lost 5 straight. Then Seattle who should be pushovers and hopefully a shorthanded Cardinals team. Meanwhile the NFC East teams are going to beat each other into oblivion.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:41 am

If the Cardinals win tonight, they clinch the NFC West. That can only be good news for a Packers team that would like to stockpile wins in the next three games.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:02 pm

Stomach wrote:Five in a row and a sweep of the Bears.

I just wanted to mention that for the Bears fans that lurk around here and don't seem to have much to say these days.

Right, lord knows we wouldn't be lurking around and posting on Chicago sports forums. Surprisingly enough there are several of those out on the Internets.

But your larger point is well taken. The Bears absolutely suck this year, they absolutely sucked last year, and, with no 1st or 2nd round draft picks, they will no doubt absolutely suck next year. Truth be told, Lovie taking them to the Super Bowl was a fluke. He should be fired, along with Angelo (who would likely blow 1st & 2nd round draft picks if he still had 'em anyway), and sweaty Teddy, too. But I doubt Team McCaskey would swallow the $20 million that pile of human sewage is still owed. Bring back Da Coach. How much worse could it be?

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”