Did you really think it was over with Favre?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did you really think it was over with Favre?

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I'll go on record. Favre will not be good AND he will get hurt. He doesn't play more than a handful of games and the Vi-Queens don't make the playoffs.

Meanwhile in GB. The Pack will go undefeated and beat New England in the Super Bowl by 60 points. Even Mini-Ditka will be impressed.

I wish I had your optimism. Or whatever it is you've been drinking.

I'm worried the Vikings will do very well with him. I'm glad we have some time to settle in with the new defense before we have to play them. Will be a couple of exciting games for sure. Plus - I wouldn't mind seeing what Favre and Peterson are capable of on the same offense - so long as they're not playing us.

So much for Favre getting his number retired this year...

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Is Childress just telling Vikings players and fans that Favre will be the starter, whether he's the best QB on the team or not? How will Vikings fans react if Favre has a few bad games? They're known to be a rather fickle bunch.

If Favre loses to GB, does all the wind come out of his sails? How will he react to media and fan criticism?

I don't know how this will play out, but it has a small upside and a huge downside, the way I see it.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm

PJ is right, this will not end well for the Vikings or for Favre. Favre doesn't want to do the work required to succeed in the NFL, he just wants to show up on Sunday and fling the ball around. Because of this, as a Packer fan, I'm not really worried about having him in the division.

I did notice that someone in our league wasted no time whatsoever in picking him up. Good trade bait, perhaps, but not for what he's going to do on the field.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I considered picking him up immediately but I have Brady and Cutler. I don't see him being much better than Cutler who probably won't be that great.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Peterson is a great back, no doubt. But I think it's still all over for Favre. Each and every pick sets a new NFL record. Old gunslingers never just go away, they just die in shootouts.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I thought about picking him up too, but I think between Matt Ryan and Eli Manning I'm covered.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Cris Carter told me that Favre will be starting Friday night against the Chiefs, and Ron Jaworski told me that the Vikings are now the team to beat in the NFC Central (he said North, actually).

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 pm

boston_jeff wrote:When will he even be ready to play?

Supposedly he will start this Friday. Whether he'll be ready to play is another matter.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:34 pm

Supposedly he will start this Friday. Whether he'll be ready to play is another matter.

Then there's also the question of when will that group of young receivers be able to actually catch one of those Brent Farve fastballs? It's not quite the same as a pass from T Jack.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 pm

They certainly didn't look like it in practice today. Did you see the practice footage they were showing on ESPN? He was at least 0-3 - they were looping it, so it was hard to tell.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

While I do not see this as a bad choice for the Vikings, considering their other QB options, I do still believe the Packers currently have the best (history aside) quarterback in the NFC North. The Vikings are substantially better with Favre at helm but at this point in their careers, Rodgers will prove just as valuable to the Pack this season. I think Charles Robinson illustrates this well;
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:11 am

Anyone have tickets to the Pack/Vikes game? Just want to be jealous of someone since my season ticket holding buddy is not very likely to take me with him.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:26 am

front page of Washington Post Express this morning says "Favre quits Retirement for Vikings"

Michael Vick is having a tea party to celebrate people not talking about him coming back for a little bit.

In other sports news, the guy Donte Stallworth hit with his Bentley is still dead.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 am

Obviously, it's been a zoo up here since yesterday.

It was clear that coach "kick-ass" and Ziggy had to do something as T Jack is horrible and Rosenfels is really a back-up.

That said, the Queens receivers are really a pedestrian bunch. Can Favre elevate them a notch or two?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am

coach "kick-ass" and Ziggy

Don't you mean "Chilly and Ziggy". Who does Brent think he is giving everyone up there a nickname on the first day? George Bush?

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”