Are the Brewers giving up?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Are the Brewers giving up?

Postby nevermore » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:35 am

No, they're not going to get Halladay. I don't think anybody is.

But not simply content to have a starting rotation of Gallardo, pray for rain, pray for rain, pray for rain, they've decided to go with their bullpen's biggest gascan to start a game?

After getting clobbered at home by baseball's worst team, tonight's game for the Brewers is a certain "must win". Run out Tim Dillard if you don't trust your other starters anymore. But geez, Villanueva?

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Are the Brewers giving up?

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 am

Maybe CV will come out tonight and pitch like he has the ability to (he has stated numerous times that he doesn't like pitching out of the bullpen, and he's generally been a starter the rest of his career) ... he's been either very good or very bad this season, with not much in between.

It's also possible that Dillard isn't starting because they are FINALLY going to get Jeff Suckpan out of the freakin' rotation already, with Dillard replacing his suckiness.

I think it's more likely, though, that this is yet another sign that Macha really has no idea what to do with this team, is just moving its pieces around totally at random. Replacing Yost was a move that had to be made, but it should have been done in time to keep Cecil Cooper in the organization as manager. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake with Willie Randolph.

If Melvin trades for Halladay he's insane, because this team has shown him no reason to do so. The trade he made for Lopez shows that he understands the real reason this team hasn't been working is its one-dimensional, underperforming offense. I still find Braun's comments about the pitching hilarious, considering he made them in a week when the hitters got shut out twice.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:45 am

Last night was the first game of 20 the Brewers have against last-place teams before Sept.1. Way to take advantage of your schedule, Crew.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I firmly believe that if the Brewers lose this series to Washington we will be referring to Willie Randolph as 'Manager' by the end of the week.

As minicat pointed out, they fired Yost for less.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Soup needs to hit the minors for a while. Whatever we got to take his place can't be as bad as last night. If the Crew had done their job against the lowliest team in baseball we could have found ourselves back on top or near it by the end of the series. The schedule is screaming for a run right now while the Cubs and Cards have a tough road ahead. Time to do something. If not Halliday then Lee or even Washburn would be an upgrade. I don't want to give up half the team for a shot at another playoff spot but a little bump in the right direction would be worth at least some risk with the division so wide open. And we'd be in better position next year as well. If we wait to sign a free agent we may not even get the chance.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Unfortunately for the Brewers, Suppan can't be sent to the minors without his permission, since he has 5 years service time in the majors.

I agree with minicat and Marvell. I don't think Macha has done a poor job and it's not his fault he has an awful pitching staff to work with. But, unless the team starts showing a lot more heart down the stretch, it wouldn't be much different from Yost's canning.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:50 pm

O.J. wrote:I agree with minicat and Marvell. I don't think Macha has done a poor job and it's not his fault he has an awful pitching staff to work with. But, unless the team starts showing a lot more heart down the stretch, it wouldn't be much different from Yost's canning.

I think Macha's been better than Yost was at the end ... that's not really the same thing as doing a good job. He's made a lot of inexplicable decisions so far, some of which have worked ok, and most of which have just left him looking dumb and the team with another loss. How many situations that call for a sac bunt to tie a ballgame have to go by before someone in power calls him out on it?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:08 pm

minicat wrote: How many situations that call for a sac bunt to tie a ballgame have to go by before someone in power calls him out on it?

I hear 'ya....that's the problem when you're schooled in the Moneyball/sabermetric way of managing.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't know if the Brewers are giving up (Ryan doesn't return my phone calls :wink: ) but I'm getting close. I thought the series against Pittsburgh was the low spot until they let the Nats score 14 runs. I was sure that would be the low spot until they managed to turn a 7 - 1 lead into a defeat by letting the Padres get 17 hits. Then, last night, just an all-around bad game.

I love this team but they're killing me.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:24 pm

This series has got to be killing Melvin. Last night he watched Tony Gwynn go 2 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI, one night after seeing him go 3 for 5 with 3 runs scored. He's hitting .296 for the season. Meanwhile, Jody Gerut is zero for his one pinch hit at bat in the series. He's hitting an even .200. Hell, the banjo-hitting Gwynn even has a beter slugging percentage than Gerut, .385-.325. And he's five years younger. I wonder what Braun and Fielder might think about the concept of coming up with a guy on base for a change?

Melvin has certainly failed to put together a good team this season, and those failings are most glaring on the pitching staff, where we have one very good starter and and a list of other guys that should be throwing long relief for the Nats and Orioles. But if any one deal shows Melvin's failure this season, it's this one.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:31 pm

This series has got to be killing Melvin. Last night he watched Tony Gwynn go 2 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI, one night after seeing him go 3 for 5 with 3 runs scored. He's hitting .296 for the season. Meanwhile, Jody Gerut is zero for his one pinch hit at bat in the series. He's hitting an even .200. But if any one deal shows Melvin's failure this season, it's this one.

Amen to that. I kept waiting for Gwynn to get his chance and thought trading him was a real mistake. Melvin should of dealt Hardy - Escobar is just about ready for the bigs, and we could of filled in for this year. And where's the pitching deal that he was supposedly on the cusp of signing Friday? If buying back a player we had before and who was never missed is the best he can do, we're in even worse trouble than July's win-loss record.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 am

Castro fired. Hardy sent down. Escobar recalled.

Shake it up.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53044452.html

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Bill Hall was also designated for assignment, with his roster spot granted to a man of the people.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 pm

I think the Brewers are just going to eat Hall's salary and bid him farewell.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Not a bad idea. Calling up Escobar? Finally. Now I may have a reason to watch. Not sure about Hardy being sent down. He should have been dealt before the deadline.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”