Crew Thread

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Crew Thread

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm

So not to take away from any of the other Brewer threads but they all started a little too specific for my taste. Why should I post about today's game in the Bill Hall thread when he's not even playing. Anyways. Here we are. A bit of a slide. Luckily the rest of the division seems to be flaking out along with the Crew so we still hold onto first place. Why then did the Brewers start all the backups today? Catalanotto, Counsell, Gamel, McGehee, and Gerut all starting? I can understand giving a guy a day off but we have our ace on the mound and could really use a win. What up with that?

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Crew Thread

Postby buckyor » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I get my news on the Crew online, or from occasional conversations with a friend back in Milwaukee. (It's not like they're on national tv all the time like the Red Sox and the Yankees). So my knowledge may not be as complete as others.

Anyway, what I read about Macha "resting" guys like Hardy, Cameron, Hart and Hall was that they were all struggling at the plate, and so thought giving them a day to rest might help their game in the long run. Maybe he's right, although I'm not sure I'd have given them all the same day off.

From what I can see, Bill Hall is done. I don't really see why he still has a spot in the regular lineup, unless they simply have too much money invested in him to just release him. He's turned into a pretty good defensive third bagger, but is incapable of hitting major league pitching anymore. Maybe a utility guy, but that's it (at most).

Corey Hart- I remember when his name was Geoff Jenkins, and he looked like Brett Favre. Same streaky hitter with poor plate discipline, same huge hole in his swing.

Several years ago I thought JJ Hardy was going to be a star. Well, now's his time to show it. I still like him, but he's another guy who's worn my patience with his potential.

Mike Cameron is a journeyman. Towards the upper end of journeymen, to be sure, but he's not the guy you can rely on day-in day-out for a big hit.

I still like Braun and Fielder, and Kendall behind the plate is light years better than that ashole we had two years ago. I'm still convinced that he (I've blocked his name from my memory, so much can't I stand him) was the reason our pitching tanked in 07.

A question on the trade for Gerut- did someone from Tony Gwynn's family sleep with Melvin's daughter or something? While I don't know that he was destined to be a star, TG Jr. showed some measure of promise when he was with the big club (and in the minors). I never understaood why the club was so reluctant to bring him up (and keep him up), and now why they traded him for a guy who hits like Bob Uecker.

Oh, and Gallardo is the man. Lock him up now before he gets really expensive.

Ok, those are my quick hits on the crew. Time for nevermore to light me up,

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 am

Why light you up? That's pretty solid analysis there.

And my observation this morning is, man, does it suck to be Manny Parra or what? He got demoted to the minors while the game was still on? I wonder if he was told by Macha while he was yanking him in the second - saying, as he took the ball "Hey Manny, you like country music?"

Now, before you all light me up, let me state that being a Cubs fan is pretty easy these days. I just watch the games until the other team scores the first run and then turn it off - secure in the knowledge that the game's officially over. Such is the life for a fan of a team who, in the immortal words of "Crash" Davis, couldn't hit water if they fell out of a fucking boat.

The National League Central title - does anybody want this thing?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 am

This is the first time I've clicked on this topic because I really thought it was about rowing.

I totally agree about the Gwynn comment. Is there any chance that the "hey he used to lug BP bats around for us" amiability (after Gwynn's hit to more-or-less knock SD out of the playoffs) between Trevor Hoffman and TGjr wasn't quite so amiable after all?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 am

Well looks like its go big or go home time for the Crew. They've managed to hold first place barely for most of the season without much starting pitching but they've lost what little they had. No way they make a run without making a move for at least one new arm probably need two. So... Do they pull the trigger? Who can they pick up? What should they let go?

I'd part ways with Gamel. McGehee has been better at the plate and my grandmother is better in the field. I wouldnt touch Escobar until he's had a chance in the bigs. Talk of Halliday being on the block but I doubt we'd be willing to go that big. Peavy still hurt, Sheets still hurt. Pedro? He's out there don't know how effective he could be anymore. Who else? Cliff Lee? Indians suck and seem to have a taste for our prospects already.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:21 am

I think the price for Cliff Lee would be too high for the Brewers. It would leave a huge hole in Cleveland's rotation, and they hold a very reasonable $8 million option for him next year. I think they'd have to be blown away for that to happen.

There isn't much left out there as far as a difference-maker, and the stop-gap options(Doug Davis, Jarrod Washburn) are seeing their values increase with more pitching being removed from the market(Brad Penny looked like an attractive target, but I now doubt that the Sox will flip him).

Pure speculation on his part, but interesting nonetheless. Buster Olney proposed a three-way deal: Corey Hart to the Braves, Yunel Escobar to the Red Sox and a young pitcher(Justin Masterson or Michael Bowden?) to the Brewers.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:25 am

Yeah I think the who can you get question is a lot harder than the who can you give up. I have no problems with Hardy but Escobar is ready to take his spot and a hard hitting solid SS would go a long way in a trade. Well I just hope something happens and happens soon (like this week).

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 am

And here I thought someone was paying attention to the UW Crew team.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:24 pm

The writing is on the wall. I think the Crew is going after Halladay. Recent trade for a 2B leaves a lot of options in the infield. That could mean Hardy is about to get dealt. Rumor has it the Jays like him. Him and a couple of non-Gamel non-Escobar prospects would be enough to get the job done. Whadya think? Do we deal for the biggest arm on the market sometime this week?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 pm

There is absolutely no chance the Brewers get Halladay without giving up either Gamel or Escobar.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:46 pm

If that is the case then it will be Gamel who goes. They just shipped him back to Nashville. He's got the right stuff at the plate and in time will certainly be knocking a few out of the park but he cannot play one position in the field at a Major or even minor league level. Let him DH in the AL until he finds his glove.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:26 pm

FWIW, ESPN analyst Keith Law(former assistant to the GM in Toronto, so he probably has a decent feeling for how JP Ricciardi thinks) recently said the Blue Jays would turn down this offer for Halladay: Gamel, Escobar, Parra and AA pitcher Zach Braddock. He may be going a little overboard, especially if the Blue Jays feel they must trade Halladay before the deadline, but that should give you an idea of how much of a king's ransom the Jays might be asking in return.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Whatever happens pitcher wise I think it's about time Suppan went to Nashville for a while. He's been a big bag O' suck as of late. Already given up 5 runs in 3 innings to the lowly Pirates.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Halladay has a no-trade.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

The Cardinals just acquired Matt Holliday. Unless the Brewers make a big splash, they can kiss the division goodbye.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”