Bill Hall

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Bill Hall

Postby minicat » Thu May 21, 2009 8:47 am

Seriously. Stick a fork in him. He's done.

rogue

Re: Bill Hall

Postby rogue » Thu May 21, 2009 9:27 am

Too bad they're are on the hook for $8.5 mil with him next year, he'll be tough to move without eating most of that. I do think it's time to see if Gamel's bat can prove he's worth playing every day in spite of his D.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu May 21, 2009 9:49 am

I guess I appreciate Macha's explanation of why he didn't pinch hit for him last night. He hasn't been around to see Hall strike out again and again in that situation the past couple years, but I thought seeing him do it again and again the past couple months would have been enough.

It would only help the Brewers if he'd finally remember to hit the other way and not to swing for the fences every time, as his defense has gotten a lot better at third, but if it hasn't happened yet I would bet it won't until he's in a contract year again.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

Two words: Mark DeRosa. The Indians are shopping him around and he hits NL pitching well - especially at Wrigley Field. It would break my heart if that happened.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

nevermore wrote:Two words: Mark DeRosa. The Indians are shopping him around and he hits NL pitching well - especially at Wrigley Field. It would break my heart if that happened.

Yeah, me too. I wasn't too happy when he went to the Indians either. He was one of my favorites to watch play no matter what position. I got to see him hit a grand slam last year.

I did read that Mets were considering DeRosa too.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu May 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Why in the name of all that is holy would the brewers want Mark DeRosa?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu May 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Because he's better than Bill Hall?

I'd give the job to Gamel until/unless he proves he's incapable defensively; no reason for a platoon as he hits lefties as well as righties.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm

He's been one of my fav Brewers.
Billy's defense is pretty darn good, no complaints there. I'd say his versatility to play just about defensive position makes him valuable, but if he ain't hitting, well ...
I swear it looks like he simply takes his eyes off the ball at the last second when he swings. He swings large and loses focus.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu May 21, 2009 1:24 pm

I agree he plays pretty solid d(DeRosa is just as versatile, btw) and still has value hitting against lefties; I just think, overall, his approach at the plate is terrible.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu May 21, 2009 1:34 pm

In completely unrelated news it looks like all those Peavey to the Brewers wet dreams everyone has been having aren't going to come true. He's been traded to Chicago pending his approval. The Sox not the Cubs thank god.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu May 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Thank goodness that (A) the Crew didn't make this deal and (B) I don't have to hear about it anymore. Peavy's fragile arm and huge contract is not what the Brewers need.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 21, 2009 3:04 pm

It would have been good for my fantasy team if Bill Hall hurt his wrist instead of Weeks. And for the Brewers.

Btw, Mark DeRosa is versatile in the field as well as with the bat, and he is a great clubhouse guy. He'd be awesome for the Crew. And yeah, he was on my fantasy team last year.

rogue

Postby rogue » Thu May 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Brewers just traded Tony Gwynn Jr. to the Padres for OF Jody Gerut. It also seems Peavey is going to nix the trade to the ChiSox. Wonder if the Gwynn/Gerut deal is part of something bigger in the works?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Everyone in Boston was slobbering about Peavy after the WBC (he made a bunch of comments re: loving being teammates with Pedie and Youk and how much he liked the baseball culture in Boston). I am so glad we were not in on a trade for him.

Johan Santana is worth breaking the bank for. Jake Peavy, not so much. And if you're the Brewers front office, taking on that expense is even more of a gamble.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu May 21, 2009 3:34 pm

rogue wrote:Brewers just traded Tony Gwynn Jr. to the Padres for OF Jody Gerut. It also seems Peavey is going to nix the trade to the ChiSox. Wonder if the Gwynn/Gerut deal is part of something bigger in the works?

Considering that the Padres and their fans probably still remember how Gwynn Jr single-handedly destroyed the Padres playoff hopes in 2007, I wonder how he's going to be received in the clubhouse.

As for Jake Peavey, this turn of events is going to keep me from bleedcubbieblue.com for the next few days. On top of all the other various and sundry miseries discussed on that site, it's been in one form or another of PEAVEY TRADE RUMOR-related meltdown for EIGHT FREAKING MONTHS!

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”