CC A Yankee? Say it ain't so....

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
MeatStick
Forum Addict

CC A Yankee? Say it ain't so....

Postby MeatStick » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:36 am

Knew it.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CC A Yankee? Say it ain't so....

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

It sucks but they made it seem like the really wanted him. The rest of the interested teams seem to have just left him be to make a decision. I don't know that this is 100% yet however. Still holding out hope. Just a little bit of it though.

EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am

$160 Million! 7 years!
Damn Yankees!

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 am

Pretty sure it's a done deal; I think CC just has to pass a physical. No other team was going to come close to matching that offer, so you can't really blame the guy. It will be interesting to see how badly the Yankees want Cameron...maybe the Brewers can force them to take Suppan and all of his contract.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:10 am

Idiotic. A guy that big who throws that hard and pitches as deep as he does in games (how many completes did he throw for Milwaukee?) is not going to last for very long. 7 years? Ha! They'll be lucky to get five.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20 am

Any chance the Crew goes after Burnett Sheets or Lowe? Seems like they dont have a problem with spending the money.

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Any chance the Crew goes after Burnett Sheets or Lowe? Seems like they dont have a problem with spending the money.

I think they will go after some big names. Owner seems to be willing to spend some money.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:Idiotic. A guy that big who throws that hard and pitches as deep as he does in games (how many completes did he throw for Milwaukee?) is not going to last for very long. 7 years? Ha! They'll be lucky to get five.

I don't think the length of the contract means anything, at all. I certainly don't think the Yankees expect CC to be pitching for them for the next seven years. The Yankees don't seem to negotiate, really. If they have decided they want a player, they sign them, no matter what (A-Rod). If they hesitate, it means they aren't committed to collecting that player, for whatever reason, and they let the fish get away (Santana).

It is nothing new under the sun, but worth saying once again, that the Yankees don't operate in the same manner as any other club. Their motivations are just too different.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I think they should trade Prince and some spare parts for Peavy AND sign a couple of free agents with the 20 Mil a year they would have paid CC.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Peacetrain wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Any chance the Crew goes after Burnett Sheets or Lowe? Seems like they dont have a problem with spending the money.

I think they will go after some big names. Owner seems to be willing to spend some money.

Who would that be, exactly? The only starter worth spending much money on this offseason was Sabathia ... that's why there's been really no other signings of note. Everyone was waiting for this one to get done.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm

acereraser wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Idiotic. A guy that big who throws that hard and pitches as deep as he does in games (how many completes did he throw for Milwaukee?) is not going to last for very long. 7 years? Ha! They'll be lucky to get five.

I don't think the length of the contract means anything, at all. I certainly don't think the Yankees expect CC to be pitching for them for the next seven years. The Yankees don't seem to negotiate, really. If they have decided they want a player, they sign them, no matter what (A-Rod). If they hesitate, it means they aren't committed to collecting that player, for whatever reason, and they let the fish get away (Santana).

It is nothing new under the sun, but worth saying once again, that the Yankees don't operate in the same manner as any other club. Their motivations are just too different.

They should have signed Santana. More talent, less money.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm

minicat wrote:
Peacetrain wrote:

Who would that be, exactly? The only starter worth spending much money on this offseason was Sabathia ... that's why there's been really no other signings of note. Everyone was waiting for this one to get done.

This is true, but its a very complex issue. CC is the only pitcher worth a big payday like this, but is he really worth it? I would rather sign Brad Penny to a one year deal.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 pm

The Yanks continue to try to buy the WS and in the process over-inflate the pitching market. This was supposed to be the year that owners showed some restraint in light of economic times. Guess that's out the window. I love CC, but they just guaranteed 160 mil to a guy who has terrible numbers in Yankee stadium, clutch games, and the playoffs. He should have stayed in the NL, where he had a chance to dominate...

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm

boston_jeff wrote:
minicat wrote:

This is true, but its a very complex issue. CC is the only pitcher worth a big payday like this, but is he really worth it? I would rather sign Brad Penny to a one year deal.

CC was great last year. Would it be a good idea for the Brewers to spend 100 million on him? No. I don't want to wish ill on Sabathia, but I don't see this being a smart deal for the Yankees, either.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Yeah, its throwing money at the problem. Kind of pathetic actually. The Dinkees used to throw cash at big FA's and guys would show up in droves, hoping to win a WS. Unfortunately (for them) after the Mussina signing this style of management has been counterproductive, and they haven't won a WS since. With the exception of last season, the NYY and Cashman have escalated their ridiculous level of big money acquisitions and have overbid everyone (including themselves). Now it takes a guy with a 100+ mil offer on the table several weeks to decide, and only after another year is added to the contract and he is guaranteed 23 mil per. People in the know are speculating that the MLBPA pressured CC to make a decision, so as to "set the bar" for other players' salaries. This brutal economy!

CC also has an opt-out clause after the third year. So, if he ends up hurt and/or sucks donkey balls, he can stay in NY and collect more money than Phil Rizzuto. If he pitches reasonably well, he can opt-out a la J.D. Drew in LA in '06 and Burnett this year in Toronto. Even if he is just mediocre, who knows what kind of salary upgrade he can get in 2012.

Yanks are choking on it with this one.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”