Fire Coach Barf Bulimia?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fire Coach Barf Bulimia?

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Unless i missed it, Johnny could you link me to your sources for ANYTHING you said? Including your statements regarding recruiting.

Because as i read this thread you come across like someone who is a fan but one that actually knows little about college football so i would much prefer to see actual links to back up what i see as assinine opinions.

Thanks.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:30 pm

So, you (anonymous) and some other (anonymous) people claim they may have witnessed the coach throwing up in a bar?

First of all, I'm going to mark it as dubious until someone signs his name to it. Second, nothing you suggest there is a crime or even inappropriate. It might not even have been due to drinking too much! You go on to suggest that his friends didn't want anyone taking pictures of their buddy in a less-than-flattering situation? Those bastards!

If there's a confrontation in a restroom between a guy with a camera and someone else, I'm not likely to take the side of the guy with the camera.

Once you decide to care enough about college sports to actively and personally pursue highly suspect rumors about a coach's private life, you have crossed the line separating fans from obsessed lunatics.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:Once you decide to care enough about college sports to actively and personally pursue highly suspect rumors about a coach's private life, you have crossed the line separating fans from obsessed lunatics.

Don't you think the head football coach of a Big-10 school should be held to higher standard for his public behavior than an average citizen? I mean, the guy literally has lots of kids looking to him for guidance. Isn't he the very definition of a role model?

I don't know the veracity of any of these rumors, but man, they sure have been adding up. Sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. Wouldn't it be worthy for Isthmus to check into it just a bit? Who knows, maybe separating fact from fiction might vindicate Bielema and end this smear campaign. Or maybe not.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:24 pm

supaunknown wrote:Don't you think the head football coach of a Big-10 school should be held to higher standard for his public behavior than an average citizen?

No.

Our society's preoccupation with the private lives of celebrities is not a positive step. All indications are that the guy works pretty hard and is wound kind of tight, so he deserves to cut loose on the weekend just like anyone else. See Plaxico Burress or Pacman Jones for examples of crossing the line.

If there were rumors about the guy showing up to practice drunk or engaging in some seriously inappropriate behavior with athletes (a la Rick Majerus pulling his crank out at practice or the football coach who castrated a bull) then you've got an issue. He's getting plenty of pressure from fans over his actual coaching decisions this season to suggest that he's well aware that everyone expects next season to be more productive.

And, incidentally, nobody has ever dropped me a note or left me a message with any sort of details worth investigating about the coach, and my email address shows up at the bottom of each Isthmus sports column. I've heard a few "Rumor has it, he likes the nightlife!" comments, but I fail to see how that's newsworthy. I mean, who doesn't?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 pm

jjoyce wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Don't you think the head football coach of a Big-10 school should be held to higher standard for his public behavior than an average citizen?

No.

I disagree.

jjoyce wrote:Our society's preoccupation with the private lives of celebrities is not a positive step. All indications are that the guy works pretty hard and is wound kind of tight, so he deserves to cut loose on the weekend just like anyone else. See Plaxico Burress or Pacman Jones for examples of crossing the line.

Having some drinks and gettin' loose is a Wisconsin way of life. After that it's a matter of either being able to handle your shit or not. Regardless, the responsibilty that come with his high-profile job title means that when he's out & about he represents the UW.
I think that a college coach should be held to a higher level of personal conduct than a professional player. The college coach has direct influence on all the kids he coaches.

jjoyce wrote:And, incidentally, nobody has ever dropped me a note or left me a message with any sort of details worth investigating about the coach, and my email address shows up at the bottom of each Isthmus sports column. I've heard a few "Rumor has it, he likes the nightlife!" comments, but I fail to see how that's newsworthy. I mean, who doesn't?

Agreed. These folks that say they know a guy who knows a girl who heard a story from a guy who knows a bartender are weak sauce. If anybody has anything of substance to share with JJ through email please do so. This rumor mill garbage is guilty internet fun but low rent.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:14 pm

supaunknown wrote:I think that a college coach should be held to a higher level of personal conduct than a professional player. The college coach has direct influence on all the kids he coaches.

Well, I think that's true, in part, but only because when a coach acts inappropriately in public (see Larry Eustachy), he can't very well demand that his players toe a different line.

Here's what I'm responding to: Some guy reports that the coach got drunk and threw up at the Bean and then his buddies tried to make sure nobody took photos of him. I'm in favor of giving him the benefit of the doubt and say that it's possible he wasn't in that position due to inappropriate behavior, or in it at all. I mean, couldn't this all be due to somebody having the girl he was buying drinks for all night ditch him to go hang with the coach?

If you're inappropriately drunk, then depending on who you hang out with, you might not be measuring up to their standards. That would be the case for me if I got messy. My pals would take care of me, but they'd be disappointed. But unless it bled into my work, it's my own damn business. College coaches make some money off their reputations and personalities. As far as I'm concerned, if he's jeopardizing that income, that's his own business.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 am

Alleged behavior aside, I don't yet accept the premise that he's a bad coach. I knew, before the season, that this team would only go as far as its quarterback play would take it.

Pretty much played out that way, except I did not anticipate the lack of development of the wide receivers (that and the quarterback issue probably reinforced each other); and also the persistent unavailability of Travis Beckum. This has always been a problem at UW no matter who the coach is...difficulty recruiting top-flight QB's.

Barry did have a 4-5-2 season early in his career....a couple of years after his first Rose Bowl win. So while I'm not crazy about Bielema at this point, the jury is still appropriately out as far as I'm concerned.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 am

I have heard about him being a rake at the Hilldale Great Dane (sending over rounds of beers to hot chicks in an obvious and creepy manner), and the word on the street is that he's a dog when it comes to the ladies. Do I begrudge him that? Not really. College and pro athletes and coaches do that kind of shit all the time. If they win, I don't really care if they cheat and misbehave all over town. That's between them and their wives/girlfriends. Its slightly embarrassing, but nothing more than that.

JohnnyBlood, stop tiptoeing around the issue. If you have something to say, say it. What is it that Bret is alleged to have done? This is an anonymous internet forum, if you can't be clear about it, then STFU. We get it, you know somebody blah blah blah. You've got your finger on the pulse...tell us what happened then. Did something illegal occur? Spit it the fuck out or stop wasting everyone's time.

Btw, imo he is a shit coach. You can not play to "not lose" in the Big 10 or in the NFL. You have to control the clock and at the same time, continue scoring. In every big game this year that the Badgers should have won (almost every loss was a win until they blew it), the coaching in the 4th quarter let the team down. And who do you think recruited those QBs who we are so quick to blame? They could've won most of those games despite the QB situation.

MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:04 am

boston_jeff wrote:Your whole post.

Thanks for saying what needed to be said. You're right on in your assessment of Johnny's inability to articulate himself, Bret's personal behavior and his "shit" coaching style.

Off with his head.

Time for some new blood.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 pm

I always thought this guy was named "Barf." I guess it's actually "Barth."

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Learned wrote:I always thought this guy was named "Barf." I guess it's actually "Barth."

Is he the burger burner from the Bistro thread?

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Btw, imo he is a shit coach. You can not play to "not lose" in the Big 10 or in the NFL. You have to control the clock and at the same time, continue scoring. In every big game this year that the Badgers should have won (almost every loss was a win until they blew it), the coaching in the 4th quarter let the team down. And who do you think recruited those QBs who we are so quick to blame? They could've won most of those games despite the QB situation.

#1. running clock and playing the field position game with a lead was a staple of the Barry era so if you have that issue with BB i assume you had it with Barry as well.

#2. in the Michigan, Ohio state and MSU games it was a crucial penalty by upperclassman(3 seniors i believe) that took away the teams best opportunity to close those games out.

#3. Evridge and Sherrer were recruited while Barry was still the head coach.

I have some issues with this year as well but mine tend to be with the offensive line, travis beckum, and seniors making crucial mental mistakes.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:31 pm

With a tenuous lead?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Evridge was recruited and signed by Kansas St. when Bielema was recuiting director there and transferred to UW when Bret was coach. Our QB situation this year is appalling...it's not like there was a sudden injury or early graduation that left the team shorthanded. I can't believe he redshirted Curt Phillips, unless it was the kid's choice.

He needs

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Whoops...damn dog just walked on my laptop.

Anyway, Bielema needs to immediately fire himself as special teams coach and hopefully bring back Henry Mason as wide receivers coach next year. A shakeup on the defensive side might help, too. If he's staying on as coach, he absolutely needs to shake up his staff.

Unless there's something I missed, these two occurrences alone are almost cause for dismissal:

1)The timeout to "ice" the Michigan St. kicker. All you need to know is that the Spartans would have called one themselves if they had one left.

2)Shortly before the half in the Indiana game, a Hoosier drive started to fizzle, leaving them in 3rd and long with the clock stopped. At this point, Bielema should have known EXACTLY what he would do if his defense forced a stop: immediately call timeout or play it safe and run out the half. Instead, he chose to let 20 seconds roll of the clock before stopping it.

I've also heard far too many stories from a wide array of people without axes to grind to dismiss the allegations. It's gotta be hard to preach control and discipline to your players when you're lacking it yourself on and off the field. Please tell me that when he leaves, he's not replaced with another "player's coach."

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”