So, how hard is it REALLY to get Badgers Football tickets?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Starley

So, how hard is it REALLY to get Badgers Football tickets?

Postby Starley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Despite having spent more than six years as a UW-Madison student, I never attended a football game and didn't ever try to. I'm not much of a sports fan.

My father and partner's father, however, live and breathe football, and we were talking the other day about making a concerted effort to get them tickets to a game in the fall of '09. We have no idea how difficult this is. When I first got here I heard rumors of camping out all night, selling one's first-born child, etc., but can it really be that hard?

What do we do to buy tickets to a regular game? Just one game, it doesn't have to be against one of the big rivals, I think our dads would be excited just to see a Badgers game one time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So, how hard is it REALLY to get Badgers Football tickets?

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I think its gotten a lot easier over the course of the past month.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Although they did win last week and Minnesota is a rivalry game, I'm thinking face value on Craigslist or outside the game after that 0-4 Big Ten start. I stupidly bought last week's tickets in September and paid almost double face. They were pretty much face value last week.

JohnnyBlood

Postby JohnnyBlood » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 pm

Not hard at all, but you need to know what to do. Buying tickets too far in advance of the game will cost a premium. Given the current state of affairs at Camp Randall, tickets should not be difficult to obtain. My advice is to go to the railroad tracks between the Field House and Regent Street about 30 to 45 minutes before kick-off. There will be scalpers there. Why there? because purportedly local cops can't give someone a ticket on what is supposed to be state or federal property. I doubt they would anyhow. Have a price in mind, ask them how much they want, make sure you know where they are inside the stadium, and don't take the first offer. Negotiate.

Oh, and enjoy the game.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Ohio State tickets were hard to get. The Nov. 22 game against Cal Poly, not so much.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:48 pm

Unless you absolutely don't know anyone who cares about Badger football, spread the word around your social network. I got two tix to the Ohio State game for face value from a friend of a friend with four season tickets that she wasn't using two of that night. We got to see a good (but disappointing) game from good seats and had an interesting conversation with the seat-holders to boot.

Had we wanted to see Illinois, I knew somebody who was literally giving her ticket away and still had to ask about a dozen people, so it's getting easier.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:11 pm

The 2009 schedule is a little odd. If your fathers are hardcore Big Ten (conference) fans then I would focus on getting them ticket to the 9/26/09 game vs. Michigan State. You'll have decent fall weather and a decent conference foe to impress them with. Those tickets should be easy enough to get. If you want to just get the dads a little taste of the UW atmosphere then look for a non-conference game but go for the 9/12/09 game vs Fresno State. They're, at least, a capable foe. Our other non-conference games are total cupcakes and completely unimpressive. You'll be able to scoop up tickets easily and cheaply on game day but you won't impress anyone with the choice of opponent. The stadium will likely be half-empty well before the end of the game. Also consider that the earlier games tend to be really, really, really warm. Aside from the Michigan State game, if you can get tickets to the homecoming game vs. Iowa on 10/17/09 they would likely be very impressed.

Once you decide on which game, I honestly think you'll be able to get tickets for right around face value if you're diligent. Get the word out to everyone you know that you are looking for tickets and you should be fine. I honestly don't think you'd have a problem getting tickets on game day from the scalpers but I now that feels pretty iffy when you have people coming to town. If your connections don't pan out then watch the local classifieds, ebay, and stubhub (as a last resort). We aren't that good. Don't pay a lot for tickets.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”