Can you be a fan of both the Bears and Packers?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Can you be a fan of both the Bears and Packers?

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:18 pm

A friend of mine is always bugging me to watch the Packers games with him. He is from Chicago and a self proclaimed "diehard" Bears fan.
When there isn't a scheduling conflict or only the Packer game is playing, he insists we get together to cheer for Green Bay.

My own answer to my question is that a Bears fan is allowed to root for the Pack only after either of the teams have been eliminated from a playoff berth or a playoff contention. I was all for the Bears in their most recent superbowl appearance, but this was after I knew the Packers would not make it to the playoffs. How can a true Bears fan cheer on the Pack this early in the season when they will most likely be the two teams dogging it out for their division title?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:21 pm

No.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:30 pm

I can get behind Chicago more so than the Vikings. Bears have a system I can respect. Sock 'em in the mouth football and run the ball. They stick to that and win games whats not to like. Now on Gameday with the Pack or if it had playoff implications I will whole heartedly root against them.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm

Another no.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm from Baltimore, who didn't even have a team for the first 20 years of my life. Also, the Orioles kinda suck. My loyalty is totally up for grabs.

I live here, so I guess I'm a packer backer.

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm a Bears fan who grew to respect, then enjoy watching Favre play - which, I guess, meant rooting for the Packers most of last year. This year's great, though - can pull for the Bears and Favre without that nasty, greasy feeling of rooting for the Pack.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:33 pm

fisticuffs wrote:They stick to that and win games whats not to like.

If my aunt was a guy she'd be my uncle.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 pm

This thread's a whole bunch of wrong.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Another reason I can support the Bears over Say the Cubs or Vikings. Their fans don't insist year after year that this is "their year". Bears fans are far more cautious with their optimism and therefore aren't half as depressing when their team ultimately blows it.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Unless they're playing the Vikings or a Bears victory means that the Packers will end up better off. (Say, it's the last game of the season, and the Packers need x team to lose to make the wild card, and the Bears are playing said team that week. Even then, I think of it more as rooting against x team, and not as rooting for the Bears. Lest Curly strike me dead.)

I'm not sure I could ever, ever root for the Cubs, even if it affected the Brewers. That's a tough one.

So, to answer your question, no you cannot be both a Packers and a Bears fan at the same time. That's just wrong.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Gave this some more thought...

In the case of my friend, he is completley backwards if he thinks it's ok a mere 5 games into the season to hope that both of the teams win.

I will provide some leeway though if either team has eliminated itself from playoff hopes.

The thing with the Bears is that they are also a midwest team. They also are a cold weather team that doesn't play in a dome. This alone gives them favor over the Vikings or Lions if you are going to have a "second favorite" team in the same division. There are plenty of other NFC teams to root for but there are plenty I would rather see not do well in the playoffs then the Bears. If the Pack doesn't make it to the playoffs and the Bears are playing the Cowboys for NFC championship, isn't ok to be a Bears fan for a day?

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:02 pm

keelio wrote:I'm a Bears fan who grew to respect, then enjoy watching Favre play - which, I guess, meant rooting for the Packers most of last year. This year's great, though - can pull for the Bears and Favre without that nasty, greasy feeling of rooting for the Pack.

I grew up a Cubs fan in a part of southern WI that used to be close to the dividing line between Bears and Packers territory, more pronounced back when the Bears' Spring Camp was in Platteville. I kind of grew up without a whole lot of guidance in that my folks didn't really care either which way, and I sure wasn't watching football games on Sunday with Dad. I think I hit middle school with an indifferent attitude to the whole rivalry, but I gave preference to the Bears simply because they were from the same place as the Cubs (same deal with the Bulls and Blackhawks, which were my go-to answers for when asked about a favorite).

That lasted for about a year, but I never cared enough about the Bears to put up with the constant heckling from my Packer-oriented friends and classmates. So I pretty much gave into the peer pressure and started saying I was a fan of the Packers instead of the Bears. It wasn't until the Super Bowl year that I actually started following the Packers, but since then I followed them like most casual fans have - I watch the games and hope they win but don't take it too hard if they don't. But I never developed a dislike of the Bears and I don't necessarily prefer one team over the other. I wanted the Bears to beat Indy and if they're on I generally hope they win. I don't know if I could rightly be called a true fan of either team, but I've managed to straddle the fence for quite a few years now.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:07 pm

NO.

Has there be a worse couple of weeks for Wisconsin sports recently?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm

NO.

Has there be a worse couple of weeks for Wisconsin sports recently?

Outside of CC coming out to lead off the ninth last weekend and the Brewers getting into (and winning one more game than the Cubs btw)the playoffs. Worst Badger game ever against Michigan. Didn't get to see the Ohio State Game but not as devastating. Two crappy Packer Games. The Brewers playoff loses really weren't that hard to take.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 pm

Not just no.

Hell no.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”