Now will you Brewer fans come in and start talking?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Now will you Brewer fans come in and start talking?

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 am

You've got Sabathia in your rotation now. Assuming (which I won't) that Sheets stays off the DL, you have one of the best 1-2 combinations in baseball. Is it worth it? Both Sheets' and Sabathia's contracts come up at the end of the season, so enjoy the second half of 2008 while it lasts. And the bullpen is still brutal.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:13 am

Milwaukee still has three great righties down on the farm, plus enough quality prospects to make another Suppan-style acquisition in the offseason.

Plus, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Sheets re-sign with Milwaukee. Sabathia's a rental, no doubt about it. But I'm not too concerned for Milwaukee's future.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote: But I'm not too concerned for Milwaukee's future.

If they keep on drafting as well as they have the last few years, you shouldn't be. When Sheets and Sabathia likely depart after the year, the Brewers could have 5 of the top 35 or so picks in next year's draft.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 am

I can't believe no one has been talking about the C.C. trade rumors leading up to the deal. Get excited people, you are about to enter a pennant race.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 am

boston_jeff wrote:Get excited people

Yeah! For all the shit I got last year, I still prefer that to the virtual silence the topic of baseball is getting this year. What gives? Is Marvell making travel plans for October? minicat? buckyor? Paco? C'mon guys, let's hear some chatter out there!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am

Cubs annual collapse + Brewers New Ace = Central Champs!
Go Brew Crew. Even if neither of them are on the team next year it feels great that they are making a move this year. 1982 people C'mon. We had to do something. I can smell October.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am

Sadly, I think the Brewers might have a better chance than my Sox. The RS middle relief has been terrible all year, and another Gagne-style deal isn't going to help. Sure would be fun to see the Brewers and the Cubs really get into it and both make the playoffs...speaking as a "baseball" fan.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:46 am

I'm not sure what I think of the CC trade. He has been pitching much, much better lately than he was earlier in the season, so he probably should help. Losing LaPorta could be potentially bad down the road, but when they lose Sabathia in the offseason, they get two first rounders right back, at least.

The thing is, the Brewers pitching hasn't generally been the problem outside of a couple guys. It's their inconsistent offense that concerns me. The rotation actually had stabilized nicely the past six weeks. Parra & Sheets have been largely lights-out. Bush & McClung have been doing a good job. Suppan has been Suppan. If the people in charge have brains, Suppan is the guy who goes to the bullpen and gagne goes out, but I don't think they have the brains to do that.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 am

LaPorta was blocked from really hitting the lineup strong. As for offense, there's still Gamel and Escobar to bring up, although LaPorta was the one really lighting up Huntsville.

Maybe that's why I for one haven't felt the need to chatter here about the Brewers; I'm really remarkably unworried.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am

I agree, it does seem like their rotation is hitting stride right now. But some of those guys have shown in the past that they are not consistent starters and the CC deal helps a lot. Suppan is a great veteran guy, but he is really a number 3 starter and has choked down the stretch many times. Bush is Bush. Sheets usually can't stay healthy. They now have a legitimate 1-2 punch which will be huge in any playoff series. You can never have too much starting pitching. Although the offense isn't murderers row and there are always slumps, they'll be fine. Pretty damn good hitters in there...

Although CC is a rent-a-player, its exactly what they need to make a serious run, and like you say, they will receive two picks in the offseason. Good trade for sure, especially since the Brewers have a very good farm system and will get several top picks in the next draft.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:58 am

TheBookPolice wrote:LaPorta was blocked from really hitting the lineup strong. As for offense, there's still Gamel and Escobar to bring up, although LaPorta was the one really lighting up Huntsville.

Maybe that's why I for one haven't felt the need to chatter here about the Brewers; I'm really remarkably unworried.

Baseball fans should always be chatting about baseball! If my team hadn't made the playoffs since the Reagan administration I'd be worried up until they clinched.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am

TheBookPolice wrote:LaPorta was blocked from really hitting the lineup strong. As for offense, there's still Gamel and Escobar to bring up, although LaPorta was the one really lighting up Huntsville.

that makes no sense on many levels

gamel has better numbers at AA
escobar isn't a big hitter

and 'laporta was blocked from hitting the lineup strong'?
i don't even know what that means

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 am

It means he'd have to unseat either Hardy or Braun to make the lineup in a way that didn't make his bad defense a total liability.

LaPorta was the #1 prospect in the Brewers system. I didn't make that up.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:41 am

Yeah but 10 players from that Huntsville AA team were AA all stars. LaPorta's skill set didn't really match up with any needs right now anyways. They still have some of the best prospects in baseball.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:44 am

nevermore wrote:Yeah! For all the shit I got last year, I still prefer that to the virtual silence the topic of baseball is getting this year. What gives? Is Marvell making travel plans for October? minicat? buckyor? Paco? C'mon guys, let's hear some chatter out there!

Sorry, the last few months have been busy as all fuck, what with pnuemonia, work, and the state democratic convention. So I haven't posted on much of anything.

My two cents' worth: Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't recall the Brewers making any sort of deal like this since they traded for Don Sutton in '82. That worked out ok.

This trade will help the Brewers, but it doesn't guarantee them anything. Sabathia-Sheets-Parra is as good a 1-2-3 as there is out there, but they still have trouble scoring runs, and still are unsettled in the pen. They turned Jimenez (who had a road ERA of near 7) into Cy freaking Young last night, which is inexcusable (having two runners picked off base is even worse). Sabathia won't do anything for them if Yost can't keep the team focused, and last night was not a good sign. Right now there are still a lot of guys not performing at a level commensurate with what they think they ought to be earning- I mean, as much as if it seems as if Prince Fielder is struggling, he's still knocknig the stuffing out of the ball compared to Rickie Weeks and Bill (I Should Start Every Day Even Though I Hit .150 Vs Righties) Hall.

Salomon Torres seems to be settling into the closer role, but the setup is shaky- not sure Gagne is the answer there.

The Brewers will be competing into late September; it's up to Yost and the players to see to it that they're around longer than that.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”