2008 Pack Schedule Released

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:43 am

6-10

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 am

It's an incredibly tough schedule. Haven't seen one that looks nearly as tough. A-Rodge's health is obviously the biggest concern. Any word on who wins the number 2 spot? Seemed to me like Flynn had overtaken Brohm. There was that ugly fumble last night but I doubt Brohm would've handle that rush any better.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 am

Marvell wrote:With the regular season looming, last night's game with the Titans left me with a couple of impressions:

1.) The Packers are totally loaded at linebacker and wide receiver. Every other part of their roster has serious question marks.

2.) Flynn looks like someone who can help them at QB, but I still think Thompson will be watching the rest of the league's discard pile, and will jump on any experienced signal callers that might get cut.

3.) Special teams look as good as they've been since the Nolan Cromwell days.

Again, I fully expect this to be a down year for the NFC North - 9-7 might win the division. With that in mind, I'm cautiously optimistic that the Packers will finish no worse than .500 - and no better than 10-6.

Anyone want to tell me why I'm on crack?

You may be on crack, but that fact isn't revealed here. I haven't been able to see much of the Pack this preseason, but I have been following pretty intently, and your thought of 10-6 corresponds roughly to my expectations. From what I've been able to learn, my thoughts are these:

1. The play of Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm will result in the Packers keeping both. Because they are both rookies, that's not an ideal situation (especially with Rodgers himself never having started a game). But Flynn's positive play and Brohm's disastrous play (has any QB ever had as bad a start in the league as Brohm?) really makes it hard to give up on Flynn, while Brohm's second round status makes him someone hard to cut as well. I expect the Packers to go with what they have to start the season, but to look for a seasoned QB if something happens to Rodgers.

2. Abdul Hodge seems to finally be playing like I expected. Is there any reason he can't play outside in place of the high energy but always out of position Brady Poppinga?

3. Both the O-line and the D-line seem to have taken some hits this offseason and preseason. At the end of last year, I viewed both as strengths; now I see them both as a bit too thin. There's still talent there on both sides of the ball, but they gotta get them healthy and they have to get them playing together.

4. This years in flavor is the Vikes. Don't see it. This was a team the Packers smoked twice last year. I think they'll be decent, 8 or 9 wins at best.

5. The Chicago Bears? Kyle Orton. Enough said. Ok, some more? The heart of their D is not Urlacher, but Mike Brown. If Brown stays healthy, the D could be pretty good. If not, they'll be awful. And Brown goes out as often as Kerry Wood.

6. The Lions? Matt Millen. And that really is all that needs to be said there.

MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 am

7-9.

They surprised me last night.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:38 am

The Pack will only get better. Take away the 12 dumb penalties and this game wasn't even close.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Take away Tony Kornheiser and the broadcast was perhaps bearable. Man, that guy needs to stick to the arguing with Wilbon.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Yeah he sucks. Everything last night was "eleventy Billion Yards" and "10 Billion Games" and "like a billion points". Lame Lame Lame. Better than Dennis Miller though and dare I say Madden although it's close.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:17 pm

As a devout Mr. Tony RADIO fan, I was disappointed with his performance last night. Hopefully he's just angling to get fired, like he's been saying on the radio for as long as he's been on MNF.

Packers were definitely impressive last night, stupid penalties aside.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:00 pm

It took me approximately two and a half minutes before I started cursing the existence of Tony Kornheiser. At least Theismann isn't around anymore.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Kornholer certainly is NOT made for TV - but he is simply unwatchable in HD!!

MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:58 am

wallrock wrote:It took me approximately two and a half minutes before I started cursing the existence of Tony Kornheiser. At least Theismann isn't around anymore.

Werd. I don't think there's anyone I disliked more on MNF than Theismann - and that's saying a lot.

Not that I care too much about how my football announcers look - but Kornheiser has a face for radio - if he had anything interesting to say - which he doesn't.

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:57 pm

Ugh, I think the ceiling for this team is 10 games. There are some good teams on that schedule, though I think the Packers are and will end the season as one of the top 6 teams in the league.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2008 Pack Schedule Released

Postby Marvell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Okay, losing Barnett admittedly sucked.

However, with a remaining schedule that includes both Detroit and Houston at home, I honestly don't see them finishing worse than 7-9. And if they can somehow sweep the Bears, the Pack still might make the playoffs.

They need to start keeping Rogers upright, though.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:52 pm

I was at the game Sunday. It was ugly but entertaining.

How often do you see two safties on one NFL game? :shock:

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't see how the first one was a penalty. He got it out close to a receiver right? Incomplete pass.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”