Green Bay Chokers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
HooferX
Forum Addict

Green Bay Chokers

Postby HooferX » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 pm

It was predictable; once again, the Packers play poor in the cold they claim is their advantage and break the hearts of the NFL's most loyal fans.

And Brett, true to every year of his career, gives the game away with an interception...and the championship. He may have the records, and may be fun to watch, but he's no championship quarterback.

The Wisconsin winter just got colder. :(

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:23 am

I attended that game tonight in Green Bay.

You could have heard a pin drop in Lambeau Field after the Giants kicked that winning field goal.

A hush fell over the crowd.

The fans left the stadium in relative silence.

A sad day in Titletown.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Green Bay Chokers

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 am

HooferX wrote:It was predictable; once again, the Packers play poor in the cold they claim is their advantage and break the hearts of the NFL's most loyal fans.

But you know, I'd bet dimes-to-dollars that most of the Packers' players didn't even grow up in Wisconsin, so where's the advantage? For all I know, my homie football players are signed on with the Guam Brown Tree Snakes and are routinely playing in tropical conditions. There's just no connection except for T.V. And who the hell watches that anymore?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 am

I would suspect that come next month, a few roster adjustments/dismissals will take place. Personally, I think the Packers should part with KGB (seemingly effective only sparingly) and Al Harris (Burress made him look like clown). Williams becomes a free agent, and indicated that he will be accepting offers.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 am

I think the roster will stay pretty intact. Harris was owned all day by Burress but at what point do you give him help after 6 catches? after 11? I think we keep him but draft some depth at the position. He and Woodson are getting pretty old. The only off Season move I foresee is Farve or not? Does he want to go out on that badly thrown ball? Congrats to the G Men. They are on a roll.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 am

How many points did Al Harris give up?

This was a team loss.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:29 am

Def. a team loss. The G-men had 4 chances to win the game with FGs (including the OT winner) and a INT return that could've set up the winning FG or TD. The Pack was very very lucky to make it into overtime. Al Harris got beat many times, but they weren't giving him any help. After the OT pick you can't really blame this one on Harris. I agree, you keep him and get him some help through the draft, a trade or a FA signing.

Sorry for you Packer fans, you deserved better after such a great season. The Brady/little Manning SB match-up doesn't have the same cachet as Brady/Favre would have...

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Green Bay Chokers

Postby GenieU » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 pm

HooferX wrote:It was predictable; once again, the Packers play poor in the cold they claim is their advantage and break the hearts of the NFL's most loyal fans.

And Brett, true to every year of his career, gives the game away with an interception...and the championship. He may have the records, and may be fun to watch, but he's no championship quarterback.

The Wisconsin winter just got colder. :(

The old Lombardi teams that were so legendary in the cold were based on blocking schemes and pounding the football. The present team would probably be happier in a dome. The Packers didn't or weren't able to play their best football yesterday. Kind of a sorry-assed end to an otherwise brilliant season.

Always alot of unanswerable questions with a loss like this:

Why throw dinky screens or running plays that haven't worked all game on third and long?

The Giants showed up in long sleeve jerseys-A lot of The Packers had bare arms...Why?

And do the scrappy underdog Giants have a prayer against the record setting steamroller that is the Pats?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 pm

The screen passes really baffled me to. Has one worked all year? I loved the one where one Giant "all blows up" three Packers.

What happned to the slants and 15 yard passes.

Very strange play calling.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Jeebus, people! At the beginning of the season, how many of you thought the Pack would even make the playoffs? Take a step back. They still exceeded expectations.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:The screen passes really baffled me to. Has one worked all year? I loved the one where one Giant "all blows up" three Packers.

What happned to the slants and 15 yard passes.

Very strange play calling.

It really pains me physically to agree with Ned, but I think he's correct here on all counts. This years' Packers never had a decent screen game; I think I could count the number of screen passes that worked on one hand (I do seem to recall one working in the first game against the Giants though).

I really didn't get the offensive game plan at all. They didn't run successfully, but they really didn't try to run the ball much either. Nor did they try much with the slants, even though I didn't see anything in what the Giants were doing that took them away. And the 8-12 yard patterns in the middle of the field? To Bubba, Donald Lee and Donald Driver? Those were working, but they kept getting away from those and throwing to the outside for some reason, even though it did appear that the Gmen were trying to take that away.

Defensively I also thought they got away from their game. I thought Woodson and Harris would be more physical with the WRs at the line, but they rarely even tried to get a jam. Maybe it was the footing.

The Packers were outplayed yesterday- and outcoached- but they had a damn good season, one that exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations. So while it's disappointing, it's hard to be too down. This is a team looking up, even if ol' Graybeard is getting toward the end of his ride.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 pm

pulseCzar wrote:Jeebus, people! At the beginning of the season, how many of you thought the Pack would even make the playoffs? Take a step back. They still exceeded expectations.

I agree with pulseCzar and did not expect the Pack to get as far as they did. And considering they lost to Dallas, and the Giants beat Dallas and arguably came closest to beating the Pats, would say the Pack played pretty well yesterday by keeping it close.

At about 3rd quarter it was pretty obvious to me and the people I was watching the game with that the Giants were just a better team. I'm impressed they made it to OT.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm

One thing for sure, getting oh so close with such a young team pretty much guarantees Farve will be back for one more season.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Best thing I overheard on the bus this morning about Packer Fans in Green Bay. "Did you see all those cracker packer backers in the cold?"

HooferX
Forum Addict

Postby HooferX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am

It was a humiliating loss. I agree with a comment I heard today that obviously the Packers players and coaches believed their own hype and bullshit. The team that played against Seattle didn't show up for this game.

They suck. Sell them.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”