Just a reminder: Badger Men's Basketball starts Sunday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Just a reminder: Badger Men's Basketball starts Sunday

Postby acereraser » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I love the first game of the season, exhibition or not. Plenty of room to move around, there is usually some swag giveaway, and it is often the only chance to see some of the new guys in action. I am pretty sure the only time I saw Gavinski play last year was in the first game. Additionally, most everyone there is as excited as you that the season has begun, so despite the small crowd, the excitement level can be higher than some later games, at least initially.

I am going to go on record with my prediction of a Badger win over Edgewood.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:43 pm

What channel is it on?

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What channel is it on?

I don't think there is tv coverage. I can't tell if you are being a little snide and are referencing the Big Ten Network debacle (which would be fair), or if this is a straight question. So, I will take it straight, and then my answer is, upon further reflection, I don't think any of the exhibition games are on tv. I live quite frugally, and on most purchase decisions, I opt for the negative, but my one true luxury indulgence is season tickets. I love Big Ten basketball.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 am

Look, I don't know what they called that on Sunday night, but it certainly wasn't very game or sporting.

There are guys playing for Edgewood who didn't start in high school.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:14 am

jjoyce wrote:Look, I don't know what they called that on Sunday night, but it certainly wasn't very game or sporting.

There are guys playing for Edgewood who didn't start in high school.

Hey, UW didn't double 'em up. That's pretty decent.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 am

I'm just sayin', Winona State starts two/three La Follette grads and was the D-II runner up last year (champs the year prior). They beat Minnesota in an exhibition last year and would actually give Wisconsin a game, as well as the fans a legit value for their money.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm just sayin', Winona State starts two/three La Follette grads and was the D-II runner up last year (champs the year prior). They beat Minnesota in an exhibition last year and would actually give Wisconsin a game, as well as the fans a legit value for their money.

I'm not sure, but I don't think we could schedule Winona State if we wanted to. They're nicknamed the Warriors and that might be contrary to school policy.

http://www.winona.edu/athletics/

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey, in case anyone cares, I checked the UW site for tipoff info, and noticed that both of the exhibition games are being broadcast on the Big Ten Network. Sorry for the previous bad info.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:36 pm

O.J. wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't think we could schedule Winona State if we wanted to. They're nicknamed the Warriors and that might be contrary to school policy.

Maybe, but their logo clearly shows a guy in Spartan or Trojan head gear. Traditionally, nobody has had any problems exploiting those groups for athletic mascot purposes.

I can't wait until the Hilltopper lobby is organized. There are some schools in this state that are going to be sor-ree!

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:51 pm

jjoyce wrote:I can't wait until the Hilltopper lobby is organized. There are some schools in this state that are going to be sor-ree!

Western Kentucky, Clem's old school? Please elaborate, cuz I searched for "Hilltopper lobby" on the Google, and the best hit I got was from the school newspaper (the Hilltopper) for St. Edwards University in Austin, TX. The article was published 10/13/1958, and celebrates the dedication of their new science building. Here is the best sentence: "What building would be complete without some kind of lobby for students to grab a quick smoke between classes, so naturally the Science Building has a simple, but adequate lobby at its main entrance".

Somehow, I don't think that is what you are referencing.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:57 pm

acereraser wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I can't wait until the Hilltopper lobby is organized. There are some schools in this state that are going to be sor-ree!

Western Kentucky, Clem's old school? Please elaborate, cuz I searched for "Hilltopper lobby" on the Google, and the best hit I got was from the school newspaper (the Hilltopper) for St. Edwards University in Austin, TX. The article was published 10/13/1958, and celebrates the dedication of their new science building. Here is the best sentence: "What building would be complete without some kind of lobby for students to grab a quick smoke between classes, so naturally the Science Building has a simple, but adequate lobby at its main entrance".

Somehow, I don't think that is what you are referencing.

1917-1954 – Marquette nicknamed "Hilltoppers" because of its original location on a hill between North 10th and State streets.

You may want to also reference the high school of the same name.

I always though MU should have gone back to this if they had to change the "Warriors" nickname.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:
O.J. wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't think we could schedule Winona State if we wanted to. They're nicknamed the Warriors and that might be contrary to school policy.

Maybe, but their logo clearly shows a guy in Spartan or Trojan head gear. Traditionally, nobody has had any problems exploiting those groups for athletic mascot purposes.

I can't wait until the Hilltopper lobby is organized. There are some schools in this state that are going to be sor-ree!

Upon further review, you appear to be correct. Winona St. is on the exempted list.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 pm

It would be very cool if they scheduled Winona State, but there's a distinct possibility that WSU would win the game. From what I understand, WSU can't get a game with a D-1 team and has resorted to playing D-III teams for their own exhibitions.

Did you hear that Izzo made his team dress in the hallway after they lost to some D-II this week?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:26 pm

acereraser wrote:... both of the exhibition games are being broadcast on the Big Ten Network.

Hence my rhetorical question.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
acereraser wrote:... both of the exhibition games are being broadcast on the Big Ten Network.

Hence my rhetorical question.

Well, you could have just been neighborly and filled me in instead of all rhetorical up in my grill. Wanna buy a half-price ticket for tonight's game? I've got one seat left that needs fillin'.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”