The inevitable Rockies v. Red Sox World Series thread...huh?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who will win the 2007 World Series?

Boston Red Sox
46%
Colorado Rockies
23%
Sheppy
31%

Total votes: 13

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:57 pm

This is the dumbest argument I've seen on here, and there have been some really dumb arguments on this board.

Cardinals never sold Babe Ruth.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Exactly, they've never done anything remotely controversial or interesting, and neither have their fans. Babe Ruth is the reason why Red Sox fans are (were) they way we are. Duh.

But the Dodger fans, they know whats up! Did you catch the pregame last night? Amazing parody of two Dodger fans who left the game when Gibson hit his hobbled homer against Eck in the WS. "I told you we should've stayed!" Brewer fans, they're stoking the flames of a decade-long rivalry with Cubs fans who couldn't give a shit. Wooooo! When you have a century-long vitriolic rivalry come talk to me. Sorry, buckyor made my point for me.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:23 pm

Yeah, I don't know shit about baseball. That's why I took all kinds of static when I said in early August that the Cards would get back in the NL Central race. At least until they closed to within a game in early September.

And it's why I've correctly picked the winner of 5 of 6 of the postseason series so far. Dumb luck, I guess.

With a few exceptions, talking sports here is like talking sports with my sister, who decides who to cheer for based on how cute they are.

Here a blast from the past, from an expert:

Gagne to Boston looks bad now, but not down the stretch and not in the playoffs.

Explain again how I don't know shit about baseball?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:36 pm

Gagne did it last night in the playoffs, but obviously that trade didn't work out and I'll take my lumps for it. I can man up and admit it.

So you picked some winners, eh? I guess your idiocy re: Dodger fans, I repeat Dodger fans should be forgiven. Anyone who knows anything about baseball would never use the Dodgers as examples for good fans in baseball. Even Fox is in on the joke.

Your privileges have been revoked. Keep trying, we're not listening.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Oh, I get it you live in Bangor. So you're just one of those transplants hating on the local team. Cool, for the record I don't hate on the Brewers but thats just me.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm

ha! Wear a Brewers jersey to Wrigley and then try to tell me Cubs fans don't care.

I'm not a Cards fan, but to say they've never done anything interesting is foolish. Dizzy and Daffy, and then making one of them their radio announcer? Not interesting??
McGwire setting the record?
Lou Brock setting all kinds of records.
Curt Flood ....not controversial? Make sure you thank him when you win the Series.
Ozzie Smith, not interesting....best fielding ss to that point.
Leo playing and managing?? He was a bore.
I think Harry Caray got his start in St. Lou.
Remember the Browns??? They left town.
I believe the Cards have a postgame show on tv that lasts at least an hour, after EVERY game.
Their championships.......but that wouldn't be interesting to a Red Sox fan more interested in what NY is doing.

The only reason y'all hate NY is because they've been kicking your butts since 1910. That ain't a rivalry, that's genocide. It's like when Packer fans hated the Bears so much(before you were here).....the Pack sucked and they only had 2 games to live for each season.

But I suppose being the last team in baseball to integrate is something to hang your hat on.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Paco wrote:ha! Wear a Brewers jersey to Wrigley and then try to tell me Cubs fans don't care.

I'm not a Cards fan, but to say they've never done anything interesting is foolish. Dizzy and Daffy, and then making one of them their radio announcer? Not interesting??
McGwire setting the record?
Lou Brock setting all kinds of records.
Curt Flood ....not controversial? Make sure you thank him when you win the Series.
Ozzie Smith, not interesting....best fielding ss to that point.
Leo playing and managing?? He was a bore.
I think Harry Caray got his start in St. Lou.
Remember the Browns??? They left town.
I believe the Cards have a postgame show on tv that lasts at least an hour, after EVERY game.
Their championships.......but that wouldn't be interesting to a Red Sox fan more interested in what NY is doing.

The only reason y'all hate NY is because they've been kicking your butts since 1910. That ain't a rivalry, that's genocide. It's like when Packer fans hated the Bears so much(before you were here).....the Pack sucked and they only had 2 games to live for each season.

But I suppose being the last team in baseball to integrate is something to hang your hat on.

Don't forget about that racist Cardinal bastard Enos Slaughter(although that's not the real reason I hate him).

And, by the way, the Yankees only kicked our butts from 1918-2003. Not before, never again.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:14 pm

The Cards have had very interesting players for sure, just no controversial front office moves that impact 100 years of history like the Sox with Ruth. Lets just say I think they are an interesting club with a storied history and they have good fans, but I prefer my fans a little more diehard.

The Brewers/Cubs thing is funny to me, I just don't see it. Both teams are hard luck, both teams perennial losers, Cubs been doing it for a lot longer. I guess I identify more with the Cubs because of my Red Sox past. Still like the Brew crew and hope they do well against the Cubs, just don't understand all the anger and yelling when they've only been in the same league for a few years. Could never even begin to approach the NY/Boston rivalry, but then what can?

Full disclosure: Gagne and I share the same name and when we traded for him, half my family asked me if I wanted a Gagne Red Sox t-shirt or jersey. I said no b/c I didn't want to jinx him, but was excited about having him. Obviously he jinxed himself, but I'm glad I never got one of those shirts...

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:30 pm

1918...1910, does it matter? :wink: I hate the Yankees almost as much as the Bears, so I hope you're right. They're just as diehard, people in the midwest are just a little better behaved than easterners, that's all.

Th Brewers/Cubs isn't half as bad as the Brewers/White Sox was....there were fights in the stands galore back then. Don't have to be upper echelon to be a rivalry, location usually does it.

There were a lot of racists back then (Ty Cobb for one), and with a name like Enos Slaughter, it's not much of a surprise.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, local rivalries abound, just more fun when there is a colorful history. East coast baseball fans definitely much worse behaved I agree, also makes it more fun.

New England fan base and Boston are known for being great sports towns, I don't think anyone can deny that. I think the big backlash against Red Sox fans came after the win in 2004, with the pink hats and the bandwagon fans. But every good franchise has that, especially after they win one...Sour grapes if you ask me. If the Brewers won it, a lot more people around here would be claiming they loved the crew too, thats just what happens. Anyway, you can pick on me for being a "bad" fan, I know I'm not, and my team is in the World Series!!!

cdhopper

Postby cdhopper » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:46 pm

...Bears fans- enthusiastic, soft-headed, short-tempered, drunk, and incredibly easy to parody.[/quote]

Yup, I've never seen anyone fitting that description at Lambeau....

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:06 pm

The reason there's even a shred of Brewers/Cubs rivalry is because a LOT of Wisconsin Cubs fans over a certain age are the way they are because they felt betrayed by the Braves leaving town.

1) Milwaukee Braves leave town.

2) Braves fans turn to Cubs for solace.

3) Pilots move to Milwaukee.

4) Former Braves fans now rooting for Cubs say "too little, too late, Milwaukee"

Therefore, small amount of generational animosity. Only the old folks and their indoctrinated kids feel this way, for the most part.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:09 pm

The White Sox came to Milw 3/year when Braves left. My first game ever was WHite Sox vs Senators in '67, tehy won 4-2. Frank Howard hit a home run. Walter No-neck Williams climbed the tarp in center field to try to catch it. They stored it there for some reason. We liked the white sox, Luis Aparicio became my favorite.

jefsaw

BoSox

Postby jefsaw » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:26 pm

As a MA transplant to Dane County 10 years ago, I root for the Brewers and for the Red Sox. At the moment, for the Red Sox. – www.sawyerspeaks.wordpress.com

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:24 am

http://boston.com/

These fans are terrible...

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”