Homer call: 1/1/08--Packers no worse than 14-2?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

With how many wins will the Packers end the season?

No votes
4-7
No votes
No votes
9-12
62%
13-16 (heh)
38%

Total votes: 13

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:49 pm

supaunknown wrote:
O.J. wrote:Not sure if I agree with your analysis on Cover 2, Super. One of the main attributes of it is to prevent the big play...it's essentially a bend-don't-break zone that forces the offense into dinking and dunking. Plain vanilla Cover 2 usually only leaves 7 defenders in the box, not exactly a recipe for success in short-yardage(goalline) situations.

Not sure if you understood my gripe about the Cover 2. I said it was most effective only in goal line situations where everyone is bunched up. I disagree completely that it takes away the big play - if anything it encourages the deep play because the safeties are left to cover deep all alone after the corners drop off. Dinking and dunking is pretty tough in a Vanilla 2 because the 3 linebackers and 2 corners are all in the 0-10 yard zone and aren't as easily prone to falling for misdirection or play action.

OK, I see where you're coming from. Obviously, it would be more effective(less prone to the deep ball) the less space a Cover 2 has to contain. I still believe there isn't a harder defense to throw deep against than the Colts. It's essential to have your corners jam receivers on the line to give your pass rush time to get to the quarterback before the wideouts separate and start attacking the safeties. The most successful zones will switch between Cover 2 and Cover 3, dropping the mike linebacker to protect the seam and lessen the space the safeties have to cover. For what it's worth, I personally despise zones...football or basketball(although it would behoove Bo Ryan to use one on occasion).

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”