Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:38 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Leela: Miller's on a pace to hit 70 blerns.

Professor Farnsworth: He's good, all right, but he's no Clem Johnson. And Johnson played back in the days before steroid injections were mandatory!

Completely off topic, sorry, but I just had to mention that my computer is named Leela.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:25 pm

AmyW wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Leela: Miller's on a pace to hit 70 blerns.

Professor Farnsworth: He's good, all right, but he's no Clem Johnson. And Johnson played back in the days before steroid injections were mandatory!

Completely off topic, sorry, but I just had to mention that my computer is named Leela.

Amy Wong? Of the Mars Wongs?

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:17 am

I'm actually reading a book on home runs now.
Until 1931, ground rule doubles were considered home runs. I'm sure Babe's numbers are inflated over that. that being said, he was probably a 'greater' home run hitter than Bonds or Henry. Sorry barry, go find some 'class' to inject yourself with.... I'll take Hank.... :)

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am

I think Henry Aaron is in a class by himself having done it with quick wrists and not setting a record for strike outs in the process like Ruth, Reggie Jackson, and the current strikeout record holder, Willie Stargell did.

Supa, I appreciate the high standards for baseball, but its a double standard: you are frikkin kidding yourself if you believe the NFL is really that tough and comprehensive about sreening peformance enhancing drugs out of the league.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:05 am

GenieU wrote:Supa, I appreciate the high standards for baseball, but its a double standard: you are frikkin kidding yourself if you believe the NFL is really that tough and comprehensive about sreening peformance enhancing drugs out of the league.

I never even mentioned the NFL, but since you brought them up again I'll admit thinking they have one of the best drug screening processes in sports. Am I naive?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 am

I was reading about Ty Cobb not long ago. He used to stand out on the field watching over the kid whose job it was to hose down the infield. He absolutely wouldn't let that kid stop until the grassy area in front of the plate was a swampy quagmire. That way, when he would lay down a bunt, it would hardly roll at all.

Cheating?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:36 am

Baseball, football, hoops, hockey, track, cycling. They all juice and take speed. Get over it. All these Americans who tear up when the good ole USA wins a gold medal, but bring giant syringes to ballgames are fucking idiots. Thats the point, if you want to flame Barry for it, you have a lot of work to do...catching up on every player in every sport that ever was suspected of it. Lots of asterisks. Otherwise its nothing but hypocrisy.

And if you think the players in the NFL are all clean because there is less publicity, I have some masking agents to sell you. At this point, both the NFL and MLB have strong steroid policies. But the NFL had just as much an interest in covering up this stuff during the enhancement era. It is naive to believe that only baseball people were looking the other way. But go ahead, go on believing that it was just Barry and MLB, its easier to think that way.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 am

jjoyce wrote:I was reading about Ty Cobb not long ago. He used to stand out on the field watching over the kid whose job it was to hose down the infield. He absolutely wouldn't let that kid stop until the grassy area in front of the plate was a swampy quagmire. That way, when he would lay down a bunt, it would hardly roll at all.

Cheating?

Giggity heh! Crafty ... and net advantage zero since both teams play on the same field.

I remember when two-tone tennis balls came out and the manufacturers claimed they gave the purchaser a 25% visual advantage over their opponent cuz it was easier to see the spin of the ball ...

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:44 am

ok. I'll go out with a giant asterisk the next time Jeff Suppan is pitching.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:19 am

A couple of other factors-could be that they made up baseballs with harder cores as well...who knows for sure.

But another thing is that alot of these records were set using maple bats (Thank You, Isthmus about a month ago, I think it was) which are significantly harder than the ash or hickory that has been traditionally used.

Yeah steroids or Hgh has something to do with it and we are are living in a much less innocent age it seems. I'd be furious with my own kids if I ever found out they wanted to take something like this.

But anyway, you still gotta be able to hit the ball, "clear" or "cream" or "Flax seed oil" or what have you.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 am

Soupcan!!! He may have juiced, a lot of pitchers did. Who cares, I hate him because he's a super-Christian that campaigned against stem cells in St. Louis. A sign about that, now that would be creative.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:33 am

boston_jeff wrote:It is naive to believe that only baseball people were looking the other way. But go ahead, go on believing that it was just Barry and MLB, its easier to think that way.

This is a thread about Bonds and the huge fuckin' asterisk now attached to one of the most hallowed records in sports. Sure, you can indict just about every sport for juicing, but Bonds is the obvious choice for Steroid Poster Boy. Just look at his inhuman physical transformation and how it correlated to his HR numbers. I was merely trying to address the principals in this longstanding mess. I maintain that MLB was too slow cleaning up their own dookie in the urinal.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:01 pm

SUPA wrote; most hallowed

Sports tends to mirror the age in which it was played in. Ruth is an early modern superstar whose legend was created by the sympathetic reporting of the new york media machine. Henry Aaron paralles the civil rights movement in America.

Bonds is right up there with Clinton saying he didn't have sex and Bush saying he won the election-sad comment on this age.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:18 pm

GenieU wrote:Sports tends to mirror the age in which it was played in. Ruth is an early modern superstar whose legend was created by the sympathetic reporting of the new york media machine. Henry Aaron paralles the civil rights movement in America.

Bonds is right up there with Clinton saying he didn't have sex and Bush saying he won the election-sad comment on this age.

Good analysis. I hadn't thought about how mirrored the down & dirty Clinton/Bush era was to sports culture. Fall of the New Roman empire?

Clinton had plenty of sax.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:25 pm

I like that analogy too, nice.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”